• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needing a bit of help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stickroad

Hey guys, having a bit of a problem getting past 3.3 GHZ.

At the moment my FSB is at 420, Multi at 8 = 3.3GHZ and Vcore 1.475 :( and Memory running at 840 with timings of 4-4-4-12, 1:1.

Now if i raise the FSB anymore it dosent matter how much Vcore i put in it, even upping the NB voltage dosent do anything, it just wont post.

Please dont tell me this is the highest it will go?

System specs = E6420, ASUS P5B Deluxe and Crucial 5300 C3 2GB of Memory.

Im running the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler, Under Load Temps 58.

Surely this chip can go higher.

The RAM you have in there is PC2-5300? If so, that's only rated DDR2-667 or 333 FSB at the 1:1 ratio. If you are at 420 FSB, that's DDR2-840. I'd say that RAM is doing pretty good to get that far, but it's running out of steam now. What vdimm and timing are you currently using? Try relaxing the timings a little and giving the RAM a little more voltage, if possible.

batboy said:
The RAM you have in there is PC2-5300? If so, that's only rated DDR2-667 or 333 FSB at the 1:1 ratio. If you are at 420 FSB, that's DDR2-840. I'd say that RAM is doing pretty good to get that far, but it's running out of steam now. What vdimm and timing are you currently using? Try relaxing the timings a little and giving the RAM a little more voltage, if possible.

Its this stuff:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-088-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=144

I have been runing it at 840 MHZ, timings of 4-4-4-12 and 2.2 Vdimm.

I have had the Memory at 1000MHZ 4-4-4-12, so no problem their.

Something must be holding me back? Cant figure out what it is.

If you have a ddr2-667 ram you're already maxing it out. but if youre sure that its stable at 1000, like batboy said try relaxing the timing. Now say you wanna go 500 FSB i dont think its possible with your cooling, drop your multi to 7 and try 500 to get 1000 ram and 3.5GHz CPU. Also give it them more volts, but watch your temps tho :)

BLOOP! said:
If you have a ddr2-667 ram you're already maxing it out. but if youre sure that its stable at 1000, like batboy said try relaxing the timing. Now say you wanna go 500 FSB i dont think its possible with your cooling, drop your multi to 7 and try 500 to get 1000 ram and 3.5GHz CPU. Also give it them more volts, but watch your temps tho :)

Im pretty sure its not my Memory.

I have tried lowering the Multi to 6 even wont budge pass 420FSB.

blackbird007 said:
Are you stable at 3.3? What volt are you running for the nb, sb, fsb to hit 3.3?

Stable, and my NB, SB are all Auto and FSB = 420, Multi at 8.

As soon as i raise the FSB to 425, it just does not want to post. I have riased my Vcore, NB and SB, still no luck.

This is so anoying. Spent money on some quality hardware and i get nothing back lol.

I know the feeling :D

I tend to be lazy sometimes so i would max out voltages NB, SB, and FSB for now. Also try upping your memory voltage a notch. Dont forget to lock PCI Express to 100 and PCI Clock to 33. Disable Speed Spectrum. And if you havent already, flash to new BIOS. I've had better lucks with new ones.

Goodluck! :)

stickroad said:
Stable, and my NB, SB are all Auto and FSB = 420, Multi at 8.

As soon as i raise the FSB to 425, it just does not want to post. I have riased my Vcore, NB and SB, still no luck.

This is so anoying. Spent money on some quality hardware and i get nothing back lol.

Hmmm, you got it overclocked almost 1200 mhz, but you didn't get your moneys worth.:-/

You've already answered your own question. You dropped to a lower multiplier and you are stopped at about the same FSB. If you are certain the RAM will do DDR2-1000, then it's the chipset holding you back. You'll need to bump up the chipset voltages and maybe improve cooling on the N/B chip. Also, what BIOS version are you using?.

batboy said:
You've already answered your own question. You dropped to a lower multiplier and you are stopped at about the same FSB. If you are certain the RAM will do DDR2-1000, then it's the chipset holding you back. You'll need to bump up the chipset voltages and maybe improve cooling on the N/B chip. Also, what BIOS version are you using?.

Hey Batboy, yep i have dropped the Multi to 6 but i have also raised the Chipset volatges, still no luck.

Any chance it could be, the CPU cooler im using, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler?

Also im suing ASUS P5B Deluxe BIOS Version 1101 and i have also tried 1004.

Look up some posts that Humanbeatbox made about overclocking that motherboard. I don't know enough about it to help at this point. I'm pretty sure it's the chipset that is holding you back though. I also know that once you get the right settings, you should go higher.

Back