• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yorkfield in time for Crysis?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

I plan on a new build for myself this year, waiting for a yorkfield core and a bearlake chipset, and possible 8900 refresh. Anyways, does anyone know anything more specific on the release date for yorkfield other than Q3/ Q4 2007? I believe intel will release its server based penryns first, then followed by the mobile and desktop chips. I want a new build for crysis (see sig below for current 4yr old sys), but I don't know what I'll do if the above components don't come out untill, say, december; not play crysis, get a 7950 AGP and play crysis? And theres always the possibility that crysis is delayed. Input, comments, speculation greatly welcomed.
<Dailytech.com, Every Day>

Last edited:
well 8900's are due out sometime june/july, that falls inline with last years refresh of the 7 series line. P35/X38 shouldnt be much behind nv's refresh, we have already seen shots of motherboards from asus. yorkfield then should be closer to maybe the start of Q4 maybe mid. its all up to intel and if they think they needs to release the beast early.

Not to throw this thread completely off topic, but will the X38's have SLi capability? And I've heard the same reports, Evilsizer, with the 8900s for June/July along with X38, but I've heard reports of Q1 08' for the 45nm chips (both Yorkfield and Wolfdale). Personally, I just want the 8900s and X38s to come out faster (as well as any SLi bios for the X38, if necessary), cuz I can live w/ an OC'd E6420 till 45nm kicks in.

-Mobious-

you can get sli on intel now but its the drivers that need to say to support intel. i have a set of modded drivers that work with 7900's and below on intel based chipset's.

I believe the x38 will have 2 x16 PCIe 2.0 slots. Also 1333 ddr3 :) I suppose if I land a x38 in time for crysis that claims support for yorkfield I could just get a C2D to hold me over..

The results from P35 boards using DDR2 show very minor to no gains over P965 boards. They're already out in Europe. I haven't seen anything on the X38 yet but unless there is something a lot different in their NB for the memory controller aside from DDR3 I don't think they will perform hugely different either. The early DDR3 will be competing against tweaked-out and cheap DDR2, and unlike previous memory transitions DDR3 isn't 'instant bandwidth (factoring in latency)' it's more similar to its predecessor DDR2 than past memory transitions. It's just a way for Intel to update their high-end chipset (dual PCIe 16x) and push DDR3 into the market.

MadMan007 said:
The results from P35 boards using DDR2 show very minor to no gains over P965 boards. They're already out in Europe. I haven't seen anything on the X38 yet but unless there is something a lot different in their NB for the memory controller aside from DDR3 I don't think they will perform hugely different either. The early DDR3 will be competing against tweaked-out and cheap DDR2, and unlike previous memory transitions DDR3 isn't 'instant bandwidth (factoring in latency)' it's more similar to its predecessor DDR2 than past memory transitions. It's just a way for Intel to update their high-end chipset (dual PCIe 16x) and push DDR3 into the market.
Mind you, there's supposedly going to be a DDR2 version of the X38 chipset which will come out first, followed by the DDR3 version.

-Mobious-

from what i saw there will be a in between P35 sporting 4 slots for ddr2 and 2 slots for ddr3. this was from gigabyte, as for the X38 i havent seen shots or heard much else then DDR3 mem on the boards.

Yea I thought the X38 was going to be DDR3 only and released a bit later. Got any links? Some P35 boards are mixed memory types, some are one or the other.

Back