• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide: P5W DH Vdroop mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UglyChild

Since we dont have a Vdroop mod guide for this mobo, im going to post one that i did recently on my mobo. This is not the same Mod that VR-ZOne has or Extreme Forums.

This is a very simple Pencil mod to eliminate 99% of Vcore Droop.

In the red circle, is the resistor you need to mark with a #2 pencil. It has to be a soft pencil to get best results. Just color in the resistor as much as you want, dont worry about doing it too much.

Once you color it, there will be some excess dust from the pencil, just blow it off and your done. Should take you about 2min.

The resistor is between CPU socket and CPUFan power plug.

p5wdhvdroopmodve1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the pic I used from XS.

Must be different versions of mobos.

Copying both pictures and rotating them for correct / similar position.

Show they are different boards. Or at least the resistors are in different positions.

Last edited:
That would explain it then. :(

That's ok, I'm hating this board more & more each day anyway.

lol. :p

If I didn't just get it, it become part of the destroyed parts Thread. :D

EDIT 5/21/07 :
I sent the Board back & bought something different.

Last edited:
Is it necessary for me to do this mod? I currently have vcore set to 1.325 in BIOS and CPU-Z reads it as 1.296 at idle and drops to 1.288 under load. Is this considered a large droop? Is it enough to necessitate doing this mod?

This is for proth or anyone else who can answer it. I hope he see's it here since his mailbox is full and cant send him a message.

I used to use a P5WD2-E and did the VDroop mod that you have in the ASUS MB sticky section. I now have a P5W DH Deluxe and am not happy with the VDroop on it. UglyChild answered one of my questions about this VDroop and posted a pic of a pencil mod (see above), which doesn't seem to work very well for me. What I am wondering, in your infinite wisdom, would it be possible to add a variable resistor so this mod was hard wired and adjustable? Would you put it in parallel or have to desolder and lift one side of the surface mount resistor and add this in series. What would be the size of the resistor, a 10k like other mods or would it need to be smaller. Do you think you could come up with an answer for a solder mod and post it in the asus MB section? I would be eternally grateful and I bet alot of others would be also.

GTF.

Im very positive that you can hard wire it with a 50k adjustable pod to do the same mod, and it will work, but im not the person that will do such mod. And it voids warranty. With pencil mod, no one is the wiser.

If it didnt work for you, then you might want to try a different type of #2 pencil. There are few variations of #2 pencils.

Bah, warranty is not an issue with me on this board, already voided that by soldering in 2 more of the NB loop hold downs so I could mount my Maze4 NB block properly. Doing solder work on this is easy for me because of my Navy training in micro-mini and also due to the fact that I have a complete soldering station and microscope. Just one of my hobbies since I enjoyed repairing circuit boards so much back in the day.

This VCore issue isnt really that extreme, would just like to get it as rock solid as I can is all. I have it set to 1.5, Everest & speedfan see it as 1.48 and it stays solid at idle. Drops to 1.46 and 1.47 during Orthos which I guess isnt that bad really. Perhaps I am trying to be too perfect with it...but just the way I am.

Last edited:
jimmsch said:
Is it necessary for me to do this mod? I currently have vcore set to 1.325 in BIOS and CPU-Z reads it as 1.296 at idle and drops to 1.288 under load. Is this considered a large droop? Is it enough to necessitate doing this mod?

There's a difference between undervolting and droop. Undervolting is the difference between BIOS and idle vcore. The vdroop mod helps a bit with this but not a whole lot, and this difference tends to be linear anyway. Your vdroop, which is from idle to load, is really small and in fact a tiny bit of vdroop isn't a bad thing and it may actually be good. It's part of Intel's VRM spec and is designed to prevent excess voltage and current flowing into the CPU when the load changes and the CPU goes from load to idle because the voltage circuitry doesn't respond literally instantly to load changes.

Here's some good info on vdroop: http://thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

You guys are going to have to forgive me for necroposting this but with the excellent photo shown above, it's the best way.

So far, I've found exactly TWO pencil vdroop mods that seem to work on this board. The one that Uglychild posted above, (which has been posted on a few different forums) and the one below:

http://www.benchzone.com/datas/users/0-vcorevdroop-pencil.jpg

Notice that this one is two resistors below and one "left" from the one shown by the OP.

I'm actually using this one with decent results, as I found it first a long time ago.

But why are there TWO mods? How come two different penciling marks exist?
is there a difference between them?

Don't mean to resurrect a zombie, but i just did this on my board and my vdroop is still 100% there. Basically this did absolutely nothing for me, I'm also having trouble finding other vdroop mods for this board :/

Back