• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reminder: Monday is Wiretap the Internet Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcX

May 14th is the official deadline for cable modem companies, DSL providers, broadband over powerline, satellite internet companies and some universities to finish wiring up their networks with FBI-friendly surveillance gear, to comply with the FCC's expanded interpretation of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act.
- Quoted from Source

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/05/reminder_monday.html

See! You thought it was Lag, it was the Fuzz!

My school did work on part of our wireless network today. I wonder if it had anything to do with this.. :(. Not really sure why "FBI-friendly surveillance gear" is necessary, but I guess we'll have to live with it.

I have mixed feelings on this. It sucks to think of them snooping on us, but at the same time, there really is a threat to this country.

Personally, I'd like an assurance that any information obtained from these wiretaps could only be used to prosecute those that are a threat to this country, i.e. catching terrorists, spies, arms dealers, or other similarly nasty people. Our tax dollars really shouldn't be used to spy on us to catch college kids swapping mp3's. The RIAA, MPAA, and Microsoft can pay to do their own dirty work, and they should have to get warrants and demonstrate probable cause before they can do any snooping. The threat to the country of a pirated mp3 isn't sufficient to justify search w/o a warrant or probable cause.

I think its just a set up so the fbi can get free broadband :p

Joking. I think its an ok idea, I bet they would kick *** at CS :D (dont worry, Im not that dense, I know what it means.)

I can confirm this is true. I work at an ISP, and in the past few months, we have been giving info to a company who will be soon putting in equipment that will be able to monitor all Broadband traffic for the FBI. If you ask me, it is rediculous, but the FBI has to be able to know everything that is going on. As far as I know, they can only tap the line with a warrant to do so. It isnt an all the time monitoring thing of everyone.

bchur83 said:
I can confirm this is true. I work at an ISP, and in the past few months, we have been giving info to a company who will be soon putting in equipment that will be able to monitor all Broadband traffic for the FBI. If you ask me, it is rediculous, but the FBI has to be able to know everything that is going on. As far as I know, they can only tap the line with a warrant to do so. It isnt an all the time monitoring thing of everyone.

for now .....

Take the time to read the Patriot Act, you might be amazed but even there, in the document that everyone complains about as violating your civil rights, there are a heck of a lot of loops the government has to jump through before it can do anything.

Asr940 said:
Take the time to read the Patriot Act, you might be amazed but even there, in the document that everyone complains about as violating your civil rights, there are a heck of a lot of loops the government has to jump through before it can do anything.

...and they've become increasingly adept at "hoop-jumping."

And this is not really that new. It is just that the FBI gets to play in the sandbox now where before, it was exclusively the NSA who could do this. The FBI will still need a warrant to act, of that I am sure.

The NSA for their part needs no warrant because they do not spy on Americans. They operate the program jointly with the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, who all have similar laws about domestic snooping. So we all spy on each other's citizens and share the data so that nobody gets dirty hands over the matter.

Everyone say hello to Echelon, the system that does this and be sure to wish them a nice big nuclear weapons of a hello when you do. BTW, the use content filtering so I just got this thread tagged by that.

Malpine Walis said:

Everyone say hello to Echelon, the system that does this and be sure to wish them a nice big nuclear weapons of a hello when you do. BTW, the use content filtering so I just got this thread tagged by that.

Saves me time by not having to report it to my station chief. :D

I have mixed feelings on this. It sucks to think of them snooping on us, but at the same time, there really is a threat to this country.

Personally, I'd like an assurance that any information obtained from these wiretaps could only be used to prosecute those that are a threat to this country, i.e. catching terrorists, spies, arms dealers, or other similarly nasty people. Our tax dollars really shouldn't be used to spy on us to catch college kids swapping mp3's. The RIAA, MPAA, and Microsoft can pay to do their own dirty work, and they should have to get warrants and demonstrate probable cause before they can do any snooping. The threat to the country of a pirated mp3 isn't sufficient to justify search w/o a warrant or probable cause.

Well Said and

X2

Asr940 said:

How many wire taps were done illegaly by the current administration ?

Back