• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the deal with....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I have an x1900gt which was getting rather hot on stock cooling, and was severely limited in its overclock potential. So I put together my old loop and threw it on there. I have an acetal top maze4 with a BIPII driven by a mag3 pump. I'm using 1/2" tubing with a t-line and the loop is rather short and I know I'm getting good flow. I mounted it twice now with AS5 and temps seem to be Ok. Ambient, according to ATItool is ~33 and it idles at 35 and loads at ~40 (now, but was even higher before I remounted). So, I suppose the water cooling has worked.

But what I don't get is my overclocking. On stock I was able to get it to ~560mhz. After I did the volt mod to 1.35v I was able to get it to 600~620. After watercooling I was able to get it to ~670. But now it seems to be having problems. I can't get it to overclock at all without crashing my system. I did a reinstall onf Windows after I had major problems with sound card drivers, so Windows can't be to blame. What is every one else's take on this?

striker85 said:
I have an x1900gt which was getting rather hot on stock cooling, and was severely limited in its overclock potential. So I put together my old loop and threw it on there. I have an acetal top maze4 with a BIPII driven by a mag3 pump. I'm using 1/2" tubing with a t-line and the loop is rather short and I know I'm getting good flow. I mounted it twice now with AS5 and temps seem to be Ok. Ambient, according to ATItool is ~33 and it idles at 35 and loads at ~40 (now, but was even higher before I remounted). So, I suppose the water cooling has worked.

But what I don't get is my overclocking. On stock I was able to get it to ~560mhz. After I did the volt mod to 1.35v I was able to get it to 600~620. After watercooling I was able to get it to ~670. But now it seems to be having problems. I can't get it to overclock at all without crashing my system. I did a reinstall onf Windows after I had major problems with sound card drivers, so Windows can't be to blame. What is every one else's take on this?

PSU? Bad video card?

Did your ability to overclock increase with the watercooling?

Yeah, my OC ability increased at first. But my temps weren't that great so I remounted the block. Ever since, my OC has been crap.

edit:

And on the note of PSU, is a reading of 11.98 a bad indicator?

striker85 said:
And on the note of PSU, is a reading of 11.98 a bad indicator?
No, that is not bad, mine runs at an even 12.00 while cpu and gpu are capped out.

Spill any water on it? A "drop" will do ya in every time.

I never had any luck with v-mod'n vid cards....... RIP.

The one thing I can think of is that the heatsinks I have on the memory are attached using the sticky putty stuff that was on the stock heatsink. Should I replace that junk? I usually use a dab of Elmers.

striker85 said:
I usually use a dab of Elmers.
Elmers Glue?! Serious?! I'm sorry, but I would never do that. Doesn't that have horrible heat transfer?

Probably, but it's easy to remove and isn't conductive. I used to cover it with ceramique and put little dots of super glue in the corners, but that was just too much work. Elmer's makes the process simpler, easier and quicker.....unless you have something to suggest.

edit:

also, I just realized I made an error above in reporting my PSU +12v readings...I actually am getting 11.88v. that seems to be a bad sign to me.

I put my ramsinks on like this:

untitled.jpg

I just used a TINY amount of super glue on the corners with AS Ceramique spread on the remaining sink base.

Back