• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Welcome To CrossFire!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

Whoo I'm back and finally updating this thing.
WHAT IS CROSSFIRE?

"CrossFire" is the brand name of ATi's multi-GPU solution, it's competitor, SLI a technology developed by rival nVidia.
Before branded as a commercial multi-GPU solution, CrossFire was known as AMR(ATi Multi-Rendering), a solution primarily used by Evans and Sutherland for commercial flight simulators created in early 2002.
After a after a major overhaul of architecture in mid-2005, "AMR" was then branded as ATi CrossFire and released on September 27, 2005 as a solution to compete against SLI.
There are currently 2 forms of ATi's Crossfire platform; one which requires internal bridges, and the lower-end software method.
CROSSFIRE VARIANTS:
Dongled' CrossFire
The last graphics card to use this method was the X1900XTX. A master card and a large cord connecting the two cards externally was required.

Internally-Bridged Crossfire "Native CrossFire" - Now called CrossFireX
Allows the use of internal bridging with a ribbon-cable similar to SLI's method of connecting GPUs together.
There are 2 bridge connection slots on each card and there is no predefined limit as to how many GPUs can be CrossFired together, the current limit is 4 GPUs, which meas 2 dual-gpu cards like the 5970/4870X2, or 4 single-cpu cards. No master card is required, No more dongle. Your only concern is having a bridge for 2 cards, or 2 for triple, or 3 for quad cards. They come with graphics cards or motherboards, if you're interested in CrossFire make sure to keep an eye out for that or you'll have to buy separately.

Software Crossfire
Who needs bridges or dongles when you have a PCIe bus that has plenty of bandwidth?
Software Crossfire is generally intended for lower end GPUs, integrated and dedicated cards that do not require any more bandwidth then what the PCIe interface can provide for them to communicate.

How Good Is CrossFire?
Is it worth it? How much of a performance gain is possible?

To do: Get accurate(unbiased/up-to-date) benchmarks.
EDIT: No you.

CROSSFIRE RENDERING METHODS:

SuperTiling: The image is distributed to the rendering GPUs with a checkerboard pattern to evenly distribute the workload.(default if supported)
Scissor: Similar to SLI's default rendering method, Scissor horizontally divides the rendering view into one chunk per GPU/
Scissor(dynamic): Dynamic Scissoring is basically a new form of scissor rendering that can divide the workload into multiple pieces of different sizes to keep the workload as even as possible for each GPU, the load balancing can be adjusted every frame. It is intended to be as widely compatible as the standard Scissor rendering method.
Alternate Frame Rendering: Renowned as the fastest rendering method, AFR can nearly double the framerate by having one GPU render the even numbered frames, and the other GPU render the alternate(odd numbered) frames. (Default if a profile exists.) Only downside to it's extreme speed is desync causes shuddering and there's a small lag.
CrossFire Super AA: This rendering mode isn't for improved performance, it is for dramatically higher IQ(Image Quality) by doubling the effective AA(Anti-Aliasing), the graphics cards have different sampling patterns.

Things to Consider Before You get In The CrossFire:
Bottlenecks!
If your CPU is bottlenecking a single GPU you won't see any gains from sticking in a second GPU. CrossFire likes high resolutions with lots of AA, if you don't have a significant graphical demand, you're putting them to waste, they also scale better with greater demand.
Power! / Price!
You pay twice as much, you get nearly twice the performance... not a bad deal, however, CrossFire is costly once you factor in power consumption, the need for a decent motherboard, and the need for a sufficient power supply.
Mixing GPUs!
Unlike SLI, you CAN mix GPUs, but you'll only go as fast as if you had two of the weaker, an easy solution is to just overclock the slower one, flashing the video card's BIOS is a permanent method, but software overclocking gets the job done, Catalyst Control Panel gets the job done.
Compatibility chart below.
Multi-Monitor Support!
Nowadays it DOES support multi-monitor to an extreme.
EyeFinity is the marketing name for multi-monitor-deliciousness a single 5800 GPU can drive up to 6 displays, 2 in CF could drive 12.

Last edited:
CF_combo_chart.jpg

Last edited:
Reyn: I've seen them at Newegg for 10 bucks. I'm not sure they are packed with the VC. My crossfire enabled board did not have any internal bridges packed, so perhaps you have to buy them separately.

I'm bidding on a 1950XTX as I write this. If I get it, I'll post some pics! Now I don't post pics of my dongle for just anyone, so I hope you all feel lucky.

Sticky!!

Reyn said:
are they supplied with the cards or the motherboard?

Each card comes with one internal crossfire connection. Therefore, you'll have two once you buy your second card.

oakstave said:
Now I don't post pics of my dongle for just anyone, so I hope you all feel lucky.

:eek:

Last edited:
Nandro said:
You should submit that to Wikopidia(sp?) Very good and easy to understand.

Agreed, this is a good write-up shell.

You guys posted some good pictures too, it was nice to see internal vs. external.

My crossfire gets great scores (x1950pro, using sapphire and HIS iceQ turbo) but when it's connected to my CRT monitors via vga-dvi converter the screen has wavy lines that scroll up the screen which makes it unusable. This only happens in 3D applications/games but the screen is fine in a 2D environment... Any thoughts? I'm going to try a flat pannel w/ a DVI-D input this weekend.... Could the signal be too powerful for a VGA line using a DVI-D converter?

If I let 3Dmark06 finish my score does end up being about 11,000.... W/ crossfire off my score is about 6000.

you need to have two of the same cards though right ? ie 2 x1900xtx ? also the mobo needs to support CF??

The x1950Pro use the 24bit internal crossfire bridge. I ended up having to buy a 3rd card to help me troublshoot my crossfire issues and it turned out my Sapphire Card was the culprit so I RMAed it and we will see what Sapphire is able to do w/ it. I love the card and it performs great when working alone. The 3rd card I bough is just a 256meg x1950pro and I hate the performance of it while playing Crysis in crossfire mode. 1st my computer has to reboot in order to sync the 2 different sizes of the ram... 512meg on one card and 256 on the other, so it dumbs it down to usable 256meg after reboot. Then because the ram is so small, Crysis chugs along choppy as can be at 1280x1024 w/ everything on high. It runs 300% smoother just using one x1950pro 512meg w/ everything on high at 1280x1024.

Crysis is ram intensive, the more you have the happier you will be. I'll be selling my x1950pro 256meg when Sapphire returns my 512meg card. (in working order I hope)

Also I'm running Crysis on XP64 and the Demo has a Crysis 64bit feature which allows the game to run about 15% faster. That w/ 4 gigs of ram, and I'm a happy camper!

i take it cross fire doesnt work without 2 (both) bridges?

also if u want to run 2 monitors do u just turn cross fire off? if so cant u do that with SLI?

i take it cross fire doesnt work without 2 (both) bridges?
also if u want to run 2 monitors do u just turn cross fire off? if so cant u do that with SLI?
You only need to use 1 bridge... most of the time. ATi says you need 2 but I've had two 2600XT's with a single bridge working just fine.

Unlike SLI, CrossFire now supports multi-monitor(came out around around the time the 3870 was released) with every series, I tried it out with dual X1900's and it ran great, I tried Crysis(woot slide show) and UT3(butter smooth) in windowed mode and it worked across 2 1280x1024 LCDs just fine.
CF should support 8 displays, I tried running 3 and it was a flickery slide show, should be better now.

The modern ati cards only need one bridge but I don't know about the older x1000 series. I still can't get multi monitor support to work yet. It's possible that it just doesn't like my other monitor.

Back