• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1950Pro - A good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

I'm thinking of upgrading my 7600GS to a highend DX10 card but there isn't any games out yet and I'm afraid my Pentium D will bottleneck them. HD 2900XT looks good on paper but high power requirements and noisy fan is quite a problem for me. 8800GTS looks good but I think I should wait for 8900 if I'm going for that.

I'm thinking of getting a 1950Pro temporary because I think it's quite a good card and should be able to offer up to 2x peformance of my current 7600GS. Furthermore it's half the price of a 8800GTS 320MB and the HD 2900XT is 2.7 times more expensive.

I've read lots of reviews about 1950Pro and most sites say that this card offers good performance, cheap, low noise and low heat output. From the reviews, this card looks perfect for me. Next, I checked over user comments from Newegg and etc. Horrible comments like card failing after few months, artifacts, frequent RMA, high temperatures and noisy fan came up. After reading user comments I really wonder whether I should get this card?

I can get 7900GS for slightly cheaper price but I think image quality would be better with ATI cards. What do you guys think? Should I get the 1950Pro?

I've got a couple of these myself and can tell you that they work pretty well, however, I think I have some bottlenecking issues myself (at least I suppose my 640 CPU is a bottleneck). I haven't been getting "WOW" 3DMark results, but I get great fps numbers in HL2:Lost Coast (78fps on screen test).

The x1950Pro is very quiet. Mine are already overclocked from the manufacturer, so they are pretty fast and stable. They are mighty long, so I had some troubles getting them in my rig, but I got it worked out eventually.

I went with this card so that I could turn up the power as I needed with its internal crossfire capabilities. If you get it, I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I'd probably recommend that you wait for the card you really want versus getting this one as a stop-gap measure.

Back