• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best option to cool an 8800GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I plan on getting an eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB, and want to overclock it. What are my best options for cooling this beast? I've been looking at the Thermalright HR-03 Plus, and it looks decent, but I want to know what people here recommend from their experiences.

UglyChild said:
Stock cooling is enough. Most important is to have good case cooling, with out it, no aftermarket VGA cooler will help.

QFT... i run my stock cooler (WITH stock TIM) at 60% duty cycle and i have never seen above 70*C ... max is about 65*c and thats during a 3dmark06 run with AA and AF turned all the way up to todally stress the card out @ 630/2000... I have really good ventalation though ... cool air comes in through the back pci slots and picks up the hot air exausted inside the case and it pulled directly out the side by a 120mm fan..

But the absolute best cooling would be a Thermalright HR-03plus

Zalman will release their new VF-1000 cooler, supporting G80, it's supposed to come out by the end of this month, or early next month, according to my local store, and a few web-site previews I've read. That cooler looks absolutely beautiful, and as always, will be very silent (that's Zalman's trademark, silence without the loss of efficiency).

I got a VF-700 ALCu for my X1800XL (which isn't installed anymore since I got myself a GTS, but it's still in its original box), and it was barely audible at 100% fan speed, and it maintained my XL at 43ºC to 45ºC idle (depending on the room's ambient temperature), and it never ever exceeded 64ºC full load during a hot summer day (according to my personal logs), and all that while it was over-clocked.

Granted, the GTS is a more voracious beast than the X1800XL, so by default it already consumes more power, and generates more heat as well, however I'm confident that the Zalman VF-1000's efficiency for any of the G80's around will be as good as my VF-700 was for my ATi card. I can't wait for it.

Back