• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change fan in PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

al98

Hello, hopefully this is in the right place.

I want my computer to be quieter and at the same time I dont want to change the PSU (the PSU fan is making the most noise and will cost the most to replace).

Is it possible that I could replace the fan inside the PSU? If so, can someone recommend me a good quiet, cheapish fan?

Thanks!

It's not recommended, but as long as you replace it with a fan that has an equal or greater CFM then it should be fine - basically, as long as it pushes the same amount of air.

80mm or 120mm?

And out of interest, what PSU?

80mm.

I dont know, do you know how I can find out? It doesnt have any label on the back.

Thanks!

I have no recommendation for the fan, but if your going to open up the PSU..please be careful what you touch....
There are shocky type things in there :)

I'm still thinking if I should are not, i'd just rather not spend money on a new PSU.

If I was to get a new PSU what would you recommend me? Something cheap but good and has a quiet fan.

al98 said:
I dont know, do you know how I can find out? It doesnt have any label on the back.
That means its a generic PSU.

edit: Actually I dont feel right helping you with this, replacing the PSU fan isnt a good idea, and you can get seriously hurt if you dont take the correct precautions. I'd rather not have someone get hurt because of me advising them on how to open up their PSU and replace a component thats meant to be left alone.

Go buy a PSU with a slow speed 120mm fan ;)

Since you're in the UK look out for EZCool, they make awful PSUs in terms of stability, reliability, but they are damn quiet. You can get them from scan.co.uk I had the 450W (£16) model for a year before it died, and it was silent the entire time :beer:

Back