• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec EarthWatts 380 Vs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would the Enermax Liberty 400 watt power supply be enough for a Nvidia 8800 Ultra, Intel dual core, 15,000 rpm 150 gig Raptor hard drive, 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of DDR 2 ram, dvd-rw drive, tv tuner card, and four 80mm case fans please ?

powersupply said:
Would the Enermax Liberty 400 watt power supply be enough for a Nvidia 8800 Ultra, Intel dual core, 15,000 rpm 150 gig Raptor hard drive, 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of DDR 2 ram, dvd-rw drive, tv tuner card, and four 80mm case fans please ?

Power,

Personally, and this is only my opinion, but I would get something a little bigger with more power and give yourself some overhead in reserve.

You're spending some good bucks on nice equipment. If that's the card I'm thinking of, it's some serious bucks. Give your system some breathing room.

RollingThunder said:
Power,

Personally, and this is only my opinion, but I would get something a little bigger with more power and give yourself some overhead in reserve.

You're spending some good bucks on nice equipment. If that's the card I'm thinking of, it's some serious bucks. Give your system some breathing room.

Thanks, the reason I am asking is because Alexhk showed that you really may not need that much power even for very powerful gaming machines! I just wasn't sure what others thought about his test! I thought it proved a good point! Though its always best to just have breathing room like you said if at all possible!

powersupply said:
Thanks, the reason I am asking is because Alexhk showed that you really may not need that much power even for very powerful gaming machines! I just wasn't sure what others thought about his test! I thought it proved a good point! Though its always best to just have breathing room like you said if at all possible!

I agree but if you ask Alex and MC directly, I would bet they won't recommend you try that. Their test is for the present, both will tell you to come back in a year and see what happens. Nobody knows yet.

Read between the lines of what Oklahoma Wolf said above. You can always try it and see how it performs but at the first indication something is not right, yank it out.

powersupply, hi m8.

there's a couple of things i'd like to ask you to consider about your planned rig.

first off, don't get 8800 ultra - it's just wasting money and buying into the hype. you'd need to overclock whatever c2d you are planning quite a bit to balance it with a 8800gtx, let alone ultra.

secondly, the heat output. you got c2d overclocked to whatever you plan to overclock it, 8800 vid card, raptor at 10000 rpm and another 500GB drive (that's 3-4 platters spinning at once). you will be getting, depending on you overclock 220 to 300 watt of heat dumped into the case. i am not even counting the motherboard. some, like those with nvidia chipsets, might take up to 100w on full load.

you got 2 80mm fans and psu to exhaust all that heat. i am afraid that 2x80mm might not be enough for cooling the case effectively at full load. large portion of the heat will go through the psu; psu will heat up; the efficiency will drop, heating up the components even further; it's lifespan will shorten considerably. for each additional 10C the capacitors inside of the psu loose a half of their rated life expectancy.

lastly, there's a there's a human factor. i posted this story at jonny's forum:

i had (notice - HAD :p ) a friend whom i let borrow my 300w pcp&c once. it's been some while ago and that psu was pretty much close to the top of the line in terms of power. i used it on my test bench since i knew that it could handle anything i threw at it.

one thing led to another and the psu ended up powering his system for almost a year.

and it died... when i looked at the remains, i saw the pure thing packed with dust; i am not sure the fan was even able to turn at it's last hours. i do distinctly remember introducing him to the novelty (for him :p ) product we all know as canned air; he ignored it big time and psu paid the price.

i think it might be one of the reasons guys in testing/review business would rather oversell us on power needs then recommend something more balanced - they know from experience - humans are just not that bright.

the point is - if you fail to maintain it, it will die much faster then you expect it to.

there's no question Enermax Liberty 400 is capable to power your proposed build. it's not the best psu to choose though. it's an older design with efficiency only up to 80%. it has 120mm fan - not all of them are good for cooling due to the way the components inside a psu are arranged. it has modular cables, meaning added resistance, meaning the psu has to work that much harder to supply the juice to the components.

Enermax Liberty 400 has been around for a while; the general consensus is that while it's an ok psu, there are better ones available for the same $. you could look into more recent models. seasonic s12 are pretty good. if you ask Oklahoma Wolf directly, he'll know what the latest and the greatest for sure.

with all that being said, do you think that you might want a little more buffer for your psu? lets say 430w range? m/b even 500w?

hmm I suppose an Earthwatt 500w would handle this?

quad Penryn say 3GHZ
4x1gb
2hdd
2900xt
plus miscellaneous

Would it handle it on paper? -Yes

Would it work short-term?-Perhaps

Is it a good idea to run on a 24/7/365 setup?- Perhaps not.

What am I missing here?- Running at the 80-85% capacity mark is not a good idea, given that your case would probably get hot (say 50C). If you intend to keep the unit for a few years, I would not recommend doing this.

Super Nade said:
Would it handle it on paper? -Yes

Would it work short-term?-Perhaps

Is it a good idea to run on a 24/7/365 setup?- Perhaps not.

What am I missing here?- Running at the 80-85% capacity mark is not a good idea, given that your case would probably get hot (say 50C). If you intend to keep the unit for a few years, I would not recommend doing this.

hmm...that was the worst case scenario components, chances are I probably won't have a hd2900xt... instead, more like hd2600xt. In this case the Earthwatts 500W should be good for long term use?

The thing is, where I can get the parts, the Antec Sonata III with an Earthwatt 500w is a good deal.... decent case and decent PSU. The next option with similar quality would cost me $30 more.

hmm

nookuwn said:
hmm...that was the worst case scenario components, chances are I probably won't have a hd2900xt... instead, more like hd2600xt. In this case the Earthwatts 500W should be good for long term use?

The thing is, where I can get the parts, the Antec Sonata III with an Earthwatt 500w is a good deal.... decent case and decent PSU. The next option with similar quality would cost me $30 more.

hmm

Well the 2600xt draws almost nothing compared to the 2900, it would be a sure bet in that case. I agree the Sonata III/EA500W is a nice case/psu combo, if the price is right I don't see any reason not to get it.

With regards to running a quad core penryn with a 2900XT, I'd say it would depend on how much you're overclocking (and ambient temps/airflow as SN mentioned.) I'd do it, but I'd be watching my Kill-a-watt(and DMM) to make sure I wasn't putting the EA500 under to much stress.

As for my rig, I'm just a few days shy of the 3 month mark and my EA 380W is doing just as well as the day I threw it in. Conclusive of long term reliability? Hardly, but a damn good start given how hot this summer has been so far. Rig is always running seti and sometimes gaming so its been getting a good workout ; ) I think the fun will start when my G0 quad shows up though.

Found this old thread, as my own earthwatts 380w isn't dead, how bout a real review opinions aside?

it has been over 20000 hours for me and my prescott 3400 mhz 1mbl2 cache,
two wdd 800 jb,
3 gb ram hyper threaded, dual channeled. It may be the biggest big bad consumer the world may never see again...
three cards have died since the beginning, cuz I really use them, omcluding avivo. I encode my own movies hours and hours and hours and hours and (you get the watts sucking hoaxed idea) ati 9550 se, 2600 pro, and now 3650 agp.

Most of the hours are the 380w with any long running contentment. It has been my best ever. I have caught it in the act of acting like UPS, and even revs up to the error, not letting the pc get it.
My camera also charges on the usb while plugged in , a little nikon.
this is the last of the power supplies without double numbering. one would have to get a 760watt to compare to.two thumb up from me, the reral world, 23400 hour tester...on HUGE consumption. Happy non-hoaxed day to you! :)

There was thread here, guy ran an 8800gts and core 2 duo on a 380 earth watt for a long time without any problems. No one thought he could do it.

run a 7600GT KO, 2x optical drives, 2 hds, a gigabyte p35 ds3l and an e7200 at 3.2ghz on a EA 380 and never had a single prob... awesome psu, got a 430 Earthwats in the closet i got for 20 bucks at frys, as a backup psu for anything.

Back