• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Ideas For A Real Use Foe 3.5 Floppy Bay....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mx

:eh?: Does anyone have any ideas for a real use for the 3.5 floppy bay...I hate that something missing look, but I would like to put something useful there.
I have an antec case which I am very pleased with, it came with 2 80mm case fans and three optional (5 total without mod), after adding the three optional 80mm fans and upgrading the power supply to a 500 watt I decided against any further case mods except the something missing feeling I get when looking at the extra 3.5 floppy bay.
I added a front port panel to fill a third 5.25 bay and it came with 2 usb, 1 1394, line in, line out, game port and temp display w/thermisitor suitable for monitoring cpu temps.

Well if you really want to stick something in there you could maybe put in a zip drive. Even though you probably dont need a zip drive at least the hole is filled, you never know it could come in handy. If you allready have a zip drive however, then ignore what i just said. :p

Use for 3.5 floppy bay

Thanks Incorporeal, I did consider a zip drive but they are fast becoming as obsolete as the 3.5 fopply drive.

Or you could stick an LCD panel there. I have one in my case. It's tight, but it works! A 16x2 version, you could probably fit a 20x2 also..

MOD your NIC and have the LEDs up front taht is what I did and six LEDs with a little clear label stating "active 10 100" looks nice.

I mounted my rheostats, led and spst on one of mine. Looks great. El, that sounds cool with the nic card, what did you use all 6 leds for?

mcrites said:
I mounted my rheostats, led and spst on one of mine. Looks great. El, that sounds cool with the nic card, what did you use all 6 leds for?

I was running two NICs in my server so both sets of three are up front in the 3.5

USE FOR 3.5 FLOPPY BAY

Thanks guys you've given me several good ideas....decisions....decisions.:eh?:

Well I will try and get a few pictures of it! just borrowed the camera today from work.

edit the camera ****ing sucks! how does Kodak of all people design a crappy digital camera i don't get it.

Last edited:
Just cut your favorite name into it and backlight it with led's. You can use plexi with the back lapped with 600 grit to spread out the lighting (like frosted glass) glued on the backside.

Your name in lights...who can ask for more?

Diggrr said:
Just cut your favorite name into it and backlight it with led's. You can use plexi with the back lapped with 600 grit to spread out the lighting (like frosted glass) glued on the backside.

Your name in lights...who can ask for more?

great sig Diggr! Bill needs a DREMEL!!!

Put a metal box with a lid and a switch on it on the front. the switch would turn your fans off so that the box will heat up. Then you could use it as a food warmer for stuff that are less then 3.5" wide.

I actually know of a person how used an empty slotl ike that to heat food. This worked until it wrecked the hard drive.

On a side note the CD drive makes a good drink holder.:D

OOOh yeah, a peltier powered pop-tart warmer!!

thanks el, but I use a wizard from black and decker....flex shaft rules!

46 bucks at walmart! great deal on a dremel. I use a ryobi but call it a dremel anyhow.

can any of you get pics up of your LCD screens?

also, you could get a computer moniter. it tells current fan speed, cpu temps, etc...

they are cool

Back