• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LGA775 Media Center System??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funkyoneboy

Registered
Hi guys

iam going to build myself a HTPC soon bit by bit each month

What 775 chip is good at Playing HD films

Iwas looking at the E6600 if i can aford that one ??? of might go foe the E6400 or Cheaper if i can overclock it??

What do you recon

Regards

Steve

xtreme_ego said:
htpc would a e6600 not be extreme overkill? maybe a e6300 or maybe a 4300
Lol, even those are overkill...:bday:

OP: You don't need much processing power for a HTPC.:beer: I'd say just get the cheapest dual core you can find.

Get an e4300 and an 8600GTS or 8600GT which have built-in HD decoding. An Intel chipset board with a RAID southbridge for a massive Raid array if you want to store your media files. I'm sure setup like that would last a long time as an HTPC.

either that or wait a bit the E2xxx line is about to hit. as i recall its $94 for 1mb ;2 @1.8 or was it 2ghz...

tisk tisk i wouldnt suggest a PD not with C2d's coming out at 65watts that alone is worth the extra money.

IF you are going w/ a 8600/8500 or HD2600/2400 video card, then you'll be fine w/ a low end conroe processor (<E6400, or E4xxx series) for any HD format you are going to play.

btw, one thing people needs to remember when they are thinking/talking about HD on PC! first, the cheapest HD drive is still $200 (xbox360 drive), and second, the play software still isn't mature enough imho. therefore, you are actually very limit on HD material to play on a PC!! (imho, there's still no real mature solution to play blueray/hd dvd movie on a PC right now!)

most dual core system will be able to play any downloaded HD material included encoded in H.264. I have no problem to play a H.264 960x520, or any HD captured Heroes on my yonah laptop! and even with most PVR software captured HD material, they all encoded in mpeg2 format, and again, my lowly yonah (T2400) have no problem to play it!

so, imho, you don't really need much cpu power for the current HD material that you will encounter nowaday.

Back