• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ever happened to BTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordkosc

I recall back a year or two ago when I was building my last PC that the new thing was going to be BTX cases and motherboards.... Yet its 2007 now , and I still can't seem to find much information about them. I recall it being created by intel to deal with heat issues...

So does anyone know anything about BTX? I am working on putting together a new PC, should I be waiting for BTX to catch on more , as it is supposed to provide better cooling?

:confused:

lordkosc said:
I recall back a year or two ago when I was building my last PC that the new thing was going to be BTX cases and motherboards.... Yet its 2007 now , and I still can't seem to find much information about them. I recall it being created by intel to deal with heat issues...

So does anyone know anything about BTX? I am working on putting together a new PC, should I be waiting for BTX to catch on more , as it is supposed to provide better cooling?

:confused:
I think you probably shouldn't hold your breath. Like a bunch of Intel's "great ideas" (e.g. NetBurst and the 31-stage Prescott-F) BTX didn't exactly catch on. (Except with Apple, but that's not really BTX they use in the Mac Pro anymore either.)

What I recall was it was supposed to help with cooling, but I don't remember why...

Glad its dead, even though I still see cases that support it like the CMstacker...

:beer:

lordkosc said:
What I recall was it was supposed to help with cooling, but I don't remember why...

Glad its dead, even though I still see cases that support it like the CMstacker...

:beer:
The Antec P180 is sort-of BTX. It's got the motherboard right-mounted and the PSU mount at the bottom, along with thermal isolation between the upper and lower compartments. (The upper one is where most the heat is anyway...)

haha cool, I sort of have a BTX case then... I like the setup of the p180 :beer:

Back