• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

on switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JamesXP said:
Theres a DPDT too, will this work?

Double Pole Double Throw are more versatile. You can have the switch perform 2 tasks. Usually they use DPDT switches to revers phase or polarity like this

dpdt.gif

What are you planning on using the switch for?

Last edited:
a power on switch :p

Or might wire it to my CCFLs and lighting fans etc.

Nope I'm 14 I just want it so noone can turn my pc on :]

theres 3 types of key switch they make :

DPDT
SPST
And Make Break

Any of em applicable for turning pc on/off

JamesXP said:
Nope I'm 14 I just want it so noone can turn my pc on :]

theres 3 types of key switch they make :

DPDT
SPST
And Make Break

Any of em applicable for turning pc on/off
Any type of switch would work...its a switch :bday:

The thing is with the mobo it just wants it clicked once, not just in the same position

For a standard ACPI type Power button, you want a single pole (2-wires) momentary connection type switch (usually a button) for reasons just as thideras and JamesXP mentioned...

If you want to use a Key - something like a "Start" switch from a car (or simular) might be cool...

Oh... That does sound Cool :O

Is there away to wire the key to start?

So when you turn the key, it sends the line to the switch then when you press start it starts may sound confusing though. ill do a paint.

eg:

Since the "Start" position of the key-switch is still "Momentary", you'd probably just wire the key-switch's 2 Wires (the 2 that make contact closure at the "Start" position) directly to the MoBo's "PWR SW" Header. No need for a secondary switch as shown in your diagram...

"Start" it, and it turns on. Or hold it at "Start", and it acts like a regular "4-Second Reset"

:cool:

Make it simple. Just get a single Keyed Switch that is momentary. If you take the key out with the PC turned OFF, you won't be able to turn it back on without the key...

Exactly like a Car's Ignition at the "Start" position (when you are Cranking the starter with the key). No need for 2 switches - just a single keyed momentary switch :D

But using one keyed off/on switch in series with your regular PC Power Button will also work...

I cant source a momentary key though.

Thats the idea, to need to key to turn it on. and use the switch to power it and the keysw to complete the circuit when ON

That's cool. You can just buy the switch you listed in your first post, and simply wire it in series with your stock PC Power Button ;) Just like in your diagram, but use the stock PC Power Button in place of the Car Start switch...

Randyman... said:
That's cool. You can just buy the switch you listed in your first post, and simply wire it in series with your stock PC Power Button ;) Just like in your diagram, but use the stock PC Power Button in place of the Car Start switch...

There you go, that is perfect. I might do something like that, I have a key and lock for a Briggs and Stratton engine just sitting here.

My parent doesn't turn my computer on because he'd rather go on his than mine...

Plus I just like the sound of a key in a computer.

Back