• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What mobo can beat the GA-965P-DQ6 for this price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manbush

Here's the problem:
Yesterday I flashed my motherboard's NIC card with the wrong firmware (got it for the wrong revision). However, the NIC card still works but craps out at random times. I could RMA the board but newegg is out of stock.

I'm also tempted to buy the Q660 quad-core at $530 from newegg. Since, newegg is out of stock for the RMA on the current motherboard, I'm wondering if any other motherboard can match the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6?
When I bought this motherboard, it was at rev 1.1 and costs about $280, it's down to $220 I think.

I'm not a ocer or gamer, just a business person using it for heavy-processing and compilation of large apps. Some of the features I like about my current board is the ability to use HOT-SWAPPABLE ESata with a PCI connector interface (not a big deal, just nice to have), quad-bios backup, quad-phase cooling, is compatible with the ninja sycthe.

Is there any board that can match this for around $150 (I want a good solid board)?

The only Mobo i can think of is the GA-965P-DS3, which i have got and its a real killer on overclocking :santa:, otherwise its a very very solid board. I personally have had no problems with it, its a bit picky on ram, also supports quad core processors with BIOS update, but thats really easy to do :D. on the Egg its $129 i think, depending on revision. I myself have got the QX6800 and its just WOW!!!!!!!!! :santa: In terms of features im not sure its a complete match to what you want but its a really good board :D The Scythe Ninja Cooler just fits on the DS3, the power plug its a bit tight for the Mobo but it does fit depending on case etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought about the DS3 but it seems like a MASSIVE downgrade compared to the DQ6.

The DQ6 is just about the BEST board out there for the 965 chipset (IMHO). It's out of stock almost everywhere :(

I want my quad-core :beer: :beer: :beer:

Does your quad-core feel "faster" than your dual-core? heh

ughh.......the current board is bsoding badly.

What's a GOOD $200 or less mobo that can compare? I like the DS3...but I feel that it's a downgrade to the DQ6.

lol....alright fine...I'm willing to go upto $250. What's the BEST mobo available for under $250?

I really liked the GA-965P-DQ6...but I need a motherboard ASAP and that mobo is out of stock everyhwere.

Why don't you just reflash it with the correct firmware?

Why are you going to RMA it when you broke it?

Audioaficionado said:
Why don't you just reflash it with the correct firmware?

Why are you going to RMA it when you broke it?

I can't reflash it because it's the "NIC firmware" and I cannot find the original NIC firmware. I could ask Gigabyte for it...but I have a better chance of curing cancer than reaching their tech support.

I'm rmaing it because the board is DEFECTIVE BEFORE I BROKE IT. It was giving serious iastor errors. Researching online, this could be either a bad controller, or a conflict with the onboard lan card which gigabyte states is to flash the nic firmware...that was for REVISION 2....they did not state it "clearly" though. The iastor error is NOT a bad harddrive (I scanned all 4 of them). Intel admits that theres also a problem with the driver for certain hardware combinations.

Before flashing, I was bsoding too. So it was definetly "broke" before I "broke" it lol.

I got the Asus Commando because it can stably overclock and give me the best bang for the processor buck, Runs quad core, will hold up to 8GB of PC6400 memory, has two 16x PCIe slots, the first is 16x signal and second is 4x signal full time. I plan on using that second PCIe slot for an Areca RAID controller card but someone could use it for crossfire (no SLI). It has six SATA ports and one legacy EIDE dual channel port and a floppy port. No legacy serial or parallel printer ports. I got it for a low cost high performance workstation.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=117&l3=0&l4=0&model=1480&modelmenu=1

EVGA 680i SLI NF-68 A1 FTW! Lifetime warranty, every option under the sun, and the best/easiest board I have ever used.

IamPWNT said:
EVGA 680i SLI NF-68 A1 FTW! Lifetime warranty, every option under the sun, and the best/easiest board I have ever used.

Many people have stated that this board has killed their RAM (patriot to be specific). I run patriot :beer:

I think I will look for the VANILLA Asus P35

Evilsizer said:
why not the Abit Quad GT or asus commando?

Hmm...I feel like I'm getting cheated by going for any of these boards. The GA-965P-DQ6.....I love this board....it has everything. I feel that the only board that can compare is the P35 series.

manbush said:
Hmm...I feel like I'm getting cheated by going for any of these [Abit Quad GT or Asus Commando] boards. The GA-965P-DQ6.....I love this board....it has everything. I feel that the only board that can compare is the P35 series.
:confused: How so? If you want better advice, we need more specific information as to what features are essential to you and which ones aren't.

Edit: I just looked at your board and except for a legacy LPT & COM port plus two extra PCIe 1x slots, two less PCI slots and two extra SATA ports off the JMicron ATA controller, I don't see much difference. Also your board has much less clearance around the processor socket due to two rows of caps and that might limit your selection of high-end heat sinks needed to keep those hot quad cores cool.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rboard&ProductID=2295&ProductName=GA-965P-DQ6

Last edited:
I just bought the GA-P35-DQ6.

The reason I do not like any other board except the GA series is because the GA boards are sturdy builds.

My current GA-965P-DQ6 has quad-phase, quad-cooling, quad-bios backup, quad-core ready, and alot quad more stuff lol. It's very sturdy and I was even able to get it to go up to 500mhz FSB easily. I feel that the Abit and Asus aren't very "good". I used to have the Asus P4P800 Deluxe when it was new, it was an "ok" board....it died after 2 years lol.

manbush said:

The reason I do not like any other board except the GA series is because the GA boards are sturdy builds.

My current GA-965P-DQ6 has quad-phase, quad-cooling, quad-bios backup, quad-core ready, and alot quad more stuff lol. It's very sturdy and I was even able to get it to go up to 500mhz FSB easily. I feel that the Abit and Asus aren't very "good". I used to have the Asus P4P800 Deluxe when it was new, it was an "ok" board....it died after 2 years lol.
if you check xs for when it comes to ocing motherboards the Quad GT is the one followed by the Commando. both those boards are hitting higher fsb's then 500mhz. both support the same things as the dq6 minus the quad bios, but how is that a plus? i have never had any bios issues what so ever with my abit or asus boards. the Quad gt has one thing the DQ6/commando dont have thats a Digital PWM, so ther is basicly no v-drop what so ever.

manbush said:

The OP already made up his mind already. I don't know why he even started this thread.

Just because Gigabyte puts quad in their advertising and literature several times doesn't make the best or worst. It's just a label to influence people to buy it.

The Quad GT also allows you to lock down the 1066 chipset strap above 400MHz FSB for tighter chipset latencies and better overall performance.
The Commando beats the GB in performace and has a better designed 8-phase VRM circuit.

What mobo can beat the GA-965P-DQ6 for this price?
Two boards did so far.

Last edited:
Audioaficionado said:
The Quad GT also allows you to lock down the 1066 chipset strap above 400MHz FSB for tighter chipset latencies and better overall performance.

Two boards did so far.

can someone elaborate on this for me

Back