• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D 940 Heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipersfate

Hey there everyone. I've decided to come back to the intel side of things for a while.

I just recently purchased an Intel Pentium D 940 CPU with the Presler core. (I don't know if the D's had any other cores)

My temperatures are very high! I thought it was amazing that the processor didn't shutdown. My idle temperature right now with a 70F ambient is 47C. i think that's extremely high. That's higher than my prescott was on Load!

I have a decent masscool HSF on there, but what would be a good choice, aside from extreme or liquid cooling, to get those temps down. I dare not test load yet, because I do know that the D's get hot, but I don't want to risk a death.
Thoughts?

Ouch thats hot....my PD945 gets up to 60 load on a hot day and its 43 idle.I think the 940 is a higher wattage than the 945 tho sumthin like 130W as opposed to 100W. What kind of case cooling do you have? You need to find out the thermal guidlines for it. I think for mine its 63C but im pretty sure its higher for urs. take a look at this thread on hard forum: Pentium D940 temperature issues?
As it says in there...i would update the bios just to make sure and check the voltage. Are you OCing it?

I figured it was a big problem. I have pretty open case. no really messy wiring, or anything. I usually have the side off becasue I can't for the life of me find out how to choose the boot selection menu on m 945GTP board, so I switch out SATA connectors when I'm switching OSs.

the bios is fairly recent, I believe late last year. I will have to look into that. Now I'm scared that it gets too hot..Arg..I need to get me a nice cooler for it..If I get a nice case, i may just think about water cooling. Thanks for the links and information everyone!

EDIT: Forgot to say that I wasn't overclocking at all. I usually wait til the CPU is good and set with it's TIM. Thanks!

That looks like a great cooler, but it seems to be a bit out of the price range I would like to pay for something. Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll find one cheap somewhere.

My 940 D is OC to 4.0 and the maximum temperature is 53c (21c room). I have a SI-128 on it with a 90 cfm fan at 50% speed. My case temps are only 27c; mainly because my fan sucks the hot air and blows it out my duct. If I turn my fan off, the temperature rises to 75c in less than 2 minutes, so lots of heat is being produced for sure.

It seems to me that your HS isn't seated properly because 70c is way too high for stock. I believe the newer 940s are 95W which should mean significantly cooler.

Do you have a fresh air duct? A duct makes about 10c difference on my machine.

I have the entire side of the computer open. I keep it open because I need to access it often for booting into OSx86.

I thought I had it seated right, this is really the first issue I've had with heat, not even with my Pressy OC'd to 3.6, I never saw temps like this. Nevertheless, I still need to get a better cooler than this piece of junk that I got. TD didn't have ANY decent 775 coolers.

You need a duct or baffle even if the case is open because as much as 80% of the hot air is recycled back into the HS due to churning. A 5" duct made of cardboard will make sure cool air comes in. Ideally the duct should be sloped by 10% to the outside.

I suggest reversing the fan and exhausting the hot air into a duct so that the whole mobo can be cooler. In my case reversing the fan reduced the CPU temperature by 6c and the mobo temps by a good 10c.

Last edited:
I re-applied thermal grease to my 945 yesterday and temps went up beyond 65 easily...i found out if hadnt put enuf on and the heatsink was on wrong...I sorted it out and now my load temps are around 53 so id check the heatsink if i were you.

Back