• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to OC 'safely' if you can't monitor temps??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Able72

Ok, so after several readings and a lot of discussion, I have one question.

How do you OC in 'relative safety' if you can't keep an eye on the temps vs. Intel's temp specs?

Or, what idle/load temps are successfull OCer's getting with 24/7 operation of an E4300 and how are they getting those temps? Also, how long have you been running that setup?

If we can't find a way to easily read the temp that intel has set for the cpu, lets try to establish a standard that we know is 'safe' for ourselves.

You have to thoroughly test your system and cpu for stability. You will encounter poor stability before your cpu is heat damaged. Just be careful and don't set overly high settings right away. Do it slow and easy, and learn to feel your system out and know how it operates under normal circumstances so you can detect anything out of the ordinary. Don't set your vcore sky high and then run intel TAT 100% in other words. You are not going to have a stable computer while the cpu turning into a funeral pyre. I would almost say you don't even need to know the temperature if you practice logical and prudent overclocking procedure. Also, invest in a multimeter and check voltages directly so you know if your motherboard overvolts or undervolts.

Or just buy a thermo probe or infrared temperature sensor if you are adamant about temperatures. I don't use onboard temperature sensors because I can't. They don't work with my setup. The only thing I have to guage is the probe in my evaporator head, which is very inaccurate anyway. It's more for making sure my compressor isn't dead yet.

Last edited:
if your gettin anywhere close to intels max thermal spec your WAY to high... i wouldnt do much above 60*c... just use Intel thermal analysis tool to check temps on ur e4300

The reason I ask is this.

I have an E4300 w/ Thermalright ultra 120

I oc'd the system to 300 MHz FSB, stock volts and ran orthos for one full test run. Core Temp reported temps pushing 60*C. Core temp jives with every other software based temp probe I have used except SpeedFan, which reports about 15*C lower.

I've read, and have come to believe, that these temps are inacurate if your looking at Intel's Spec, which is based on a TCase temp of 61.4*C for the E4300.

Back