Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Redesigning my room, need help

Hey Overclockers,

So this summer I'm planning on redoing a few aspects of my room, mainly because it's been neglected for awhile and I'm embarrassed to have anybody over, frankly.

I'm no interior decorator, so here is where you guys come in. I need suggestions for the coolest and most practical things to have in my room, as well as any design suggestions. Here's a short list of things I must change.

-New paint (probably white), and I have no idea how to paint a room
    -New ceiling lighting, and I need to figure out how to get a mount up there
    -New blinds
    -New desk
    -A new bed, absolutely no idea on this one

I'm open to suggestions. Even if it's not on the list, think of something that you'd like to have in your room and I'll try to integrate it into mine. I'll also attempt to get you guys semi-accurate dimensions of my room as well as a few pictures.

Thanks,

Whats your budget ? having a budget is crucial, you don't wanna spend anymore than you really have to
    ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200

Any pictures of the current setup?

A nice aquarium setup can do wonders for any room, if you want to give that a try.
    CPU: AMD 64 3000+ DTR @ 2750
    MB:
    DFI Lanparty UT 250GB

Memory: 2x 1GB G.Skill PC3200

Video:
    Radeon X800XT-PE w/ Maze 4 GPU

Hard Drives:
    36GB Raptor (Main) 160GB Hitachi (Storage)

Optical Storage:
    44x CD, 8x DVD-RW

Sound:
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Case & Power: Black Chieftec FT w/ Window, Antec TP 430
    Watercooled WW, Pro Core (2) 120mm Deltas, Hydor L20
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Budget is pretty much almost unlimited at this point...but I'm not buying a plasma TV to hook to my ceiling.

I'll try to get pics as soon as I clean it up a bit. Actually, I might not clean it up.

pics pics pics
    Antec 300 Intel Q6600 @ 3.7 - X48-DS4 - 4gb ddr2 - 500w Earthwatt's - 52" Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U
    1x 640GB WD - 2x 1TB Greenpower - 2x 400GB Seagate - ATI 4830 512mb @ 680/975
    3DMark Vanage 7402 3DMark05 20,447 3DMark06 13,693

Emachines amd x2 5000+ @ 2.9ghz w/foxconn bios - 2gb ddr2
    stock POS 300w - 400gb Seagate - diNovo + VX Revolution

MacBook Air - 1.6ghz c2d - 2gb ddr2 - 80gb

heatware

Got some diminsions as well? No use in getting a queen air bed if nothing else will fit.
    *Dead* CPU:Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2400MHz with the 533MHz Bus Speed.; Mobo:First International Computer, Inc. (FIC) Motherboard, model: VI13, Chipset: Sis645DX, BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD version 6.00PG; GPU:ATi Radeon 9000Pro (128MB) Video card (4x AGP); RAM:1 stick 512MB PC2700 (166MHz) Xerox RAM; 1 stick 512MB PC3200 (200MHz) Corsair RAM; HD's:WD 250 Gig HD (x2); Optical:Lite-On DVD+/-RW, DVD-Rom; PSU:Antec SL400; OS:Windows XP

*Current Rig* CPU:E6600; Mobo:Asus P5B Deluxe; GPU:ATi Radeon HD 4870 w/1GB GDDR5 (PCI Express); RAM: (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO & (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400; HD's:(2x 320GB) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA Drive & (2x 500GB) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA Drive & (2x 250GB) WD IDE Drive; Optical: Lite-on SATA DVD +/- RW & Lite-on IDE DVD +/- RW; PSU:Corsair 520HX; OS:XP; Case:Thermaltake Armor;

i'd look into some amish made furniture everything from amish people rock

personally i wouldn't go with white walls. i live in an apt and every wall is white and they show everything.
    i7 3770k @ 4.5 1.25v
    4x2 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
    ASRock Fatality Pro Z77
    XFX 7970 / Samsung SyncMaster 216BW
    Corsair TX750
    128 GB Samsung 830 / 1.5 TB WD Green / 500 GB WD Blue
    Folding User Stats

Just take a trip to IKEA and buy a room in some boxes. Have fun putting everything together, damn i hate building IKEA things. SO cheap though and aesthetically pleasing.
    "Death gotta be easy, 'cause life is hard It'll leave you physically, mentally, and emotionally scarred"
    -50 Cent

13'2" by 8'6"

I'll have pictures in a second, so you guys can get a better feel for how my room is laid out.

So a king size bed is out of the question I've got a room around... that sizze a bit bigger with only a queen and its a tight fit to have my desk in there as well hmmm....
    ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200

Using this baby...I was able to find the dimensions of my room with basically 0 work. Love these things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The view into my room, and no I'm not a fatass, I just don't clear my desk.

And yes my room is really dirty. It's finals week.

This didn't make the shoot, but it's awesome anyway.

Silicon Graphics O2 workstation. Found it about to be trashed in a room at Universal Studios, of course I kept it.

Okay last one, which is where my bed is now.

So here's some explanation:

-I have 2 desks. One is for work, the other is for computers. Both are huge and take up way too much space, so I'll probably cut down on the computer desk since it has far too much depth.

-I could probably fit a queen bed in here, it's just a question of now

-Dresser has to go, I'll move everything into the closet, currently a dumping ground as you can see. There's a PC-70 you can barely see in there.

-No, you can't have my O2. Period.

I love your beautiful hardwood floors in there.

I would think about taking out the panneling, wall mount the LCD monitor, custom build a desk into the wall, maybe a spot for a nice tv.

Have a nice bed, off to the side, giving a free space for moving around.

For heavens sake man, get a closet organizer installed!

Painting is easy, you just need a steady hand or an angle to not paint your doorframe or any other wood that you don't want painted Use a smaller roller and just be sure to cover evenly and dont roll obsesively to allow the paint to drip, = bad.

also for some inspirations,
    http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_i...p/bedroom.html
    Last edited by ryanmartini; 06-02-07 at 11:13 PM.
    Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4 @ 3ghz stock voltage / Stock Cooling
    Corsair XMS DDR2 800 2x1gb
    Gigabyte P35 DS3-L
    HIS Radeon HD3870 864/1300
    WD Raptor 36gb [OS/Bench]
    2 x Hitachi 250 [The Black Hole of Data]

~Warming Up 11-0-0~ heatware.

Nothing is worse than doing something your excellent at, but hate doing. ~me~

Can you please take pictures of your room and try to put them in a panoramic or atleast images all all the walls? Really the room does not look that bad to me, it needs a few posters and if possibly I would move the bed(If possibly maybe put the dresser where the bed is, then put the bed where the computer desk is, and slide if over to the spot the dresser was in) but besides that it looks pretty nice. The wood is extremely nice looking.
    "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why." -Bernard Mannes Baruch

Mobo: MSI Neo2-V
    CPU: 2.8a Prescott @ 3.2
    PSU: Blue Storm 500 Watt
    GPU: Geforce 6600GT
    HS: Zalman 7000
    Ram: Kingston HyperX 1024mb 3200

Mirrors. They make the room appear larger than it actually is. I'd go with a rustic type setup given you have the hardwood flooring and the halfpanel on the walls. Just one mirror, I'm not talking about going all crazy and putting them on the ceiling or anything like that A border across the top would look rather nice as well, just find one you like. Given the fact that you're in the US, the mounting plate for your light should be a standard type which makes it pretty much universal for whatever type of lighting fixture you'd like to put in it. Is there a home depot close to you? The people in there are generally very helpful and friendly and can give you a lot of advice on how to properly do the things you want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. A few notes on things.

-The wood floors were actually a pleasant suprise when we ripped off the rug. We were planning on having these nice white oak floors installed (I can take a shot from downstairs if you guys are curious), but we found these and they look great. I might do some resurfacing just because a few places are a bit scratched, but no big deal.

-As far as I'm concerned, taking off the wood paneling is probably a no-go, even though it would probably look much nicer (and open up my painting options). Plus, who knows what's under there?

-I'm not sure how wiring my room is going to work. I have attic access, and I think there should be some fixtures up there (there's a light fixture on the ceiling in the next room over), so I should be okay.

-I haven't even touched that closet in years. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by kraven
    ust one mirror, I'm not talking about going all crazy and putting them on the ceiling or anything like that
    I can see it now...Hugh Hefner's personally annotated guide to interior design.

I'm looking for more gadgets and cool stuff to have in here. I'm looking into an LCD TV, but that's going to be a hard sell to the parents. Also looking for a good place to get framed posters and stuff like that. I don't plan on going nuts, just like 3-5 perhaps.

Allposters.com will Mount, Frame, or Laminate any posters you order for them. Though personally I recommend you use a place like Ebay or Deviantart and either buy the frames yourself or take them to a local glass or picture store that will do it for you.
    "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why." -Bernard Mannes Baruch

Mobo: MSI Neo2-V
    CPU: 2.8a Prescott @ 3.2
    PSU: Blue Storm 500 Watt
    GPU: Geforce 6600GT
    HS: Zalman 7000
    Ram: Kingston HyperX 1024mb 3200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast