• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 Ultra Water Cooled Modded Test Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Valkillmore said:
Impressive work, very nice. If you don't mind me asking, are you an electrical engineer by trade?

Yep along with a few other disciplines thrown in as well.

Now that I have done a few more Ultra's I can safely say the card above is definately a typical
and over the average for a modded Ultra.

Viper

Deanzo said:
Thanks mate

Very helpful :)

Deanzo if you have a GTX card and not an Ultra note that I edited the clock stepping blurp above when it comes to the 8800GTX cards. While the 8800 Ultra's memory will only step on even multiples of 27Mhz the GTX cards will step on some 1/3 and 2/3's multiple in between the evens.

Viper

Thanks again mate,
This is a must know imo for working out the best set up of the card.

On stock cooling / bios volts anything over 729 on the core is a no go, but then again it may well be the shader clocks holding me back.
Not that Im unhappy with 729/1215 :)

And thanks for the tip using ATItools with Rivatuner, that will save me some time ;)

Wrong terminology maybe, by 'clock domain' I meant the different core/shader/memory clocks. He was specifically talking about the memory though so your specific clarification was nice. So Rivatuner's graph shows the true clocks?

MadMan007 said:
Wrong terminology maybe, by 'clock domain' I meant the different core/shader/memory clocks. He was specifically talking about the memory though so your specific clarification was nice. So Rivatuner's graph shows the true clocks?

Probably so. It is easy to get twisted sometimes...at least for me lol.

Yes in the case of 8800's Core ROP Domain, Core Shader Domain and Memory Domain in the graph.

If you set up RT to show all three memory domains individually then only Memory Domain (0) is truly correct.

Depending on the driver used (anything after the 97.02's but I haven't checked the 150 series drivers either)
the clocks shown for Memory Domain 1 and Memory Domain 2 are are bad and/or not used register data
being reported to RT by the drivers and moot IMO.

Viper

Deanzo said:
Thanks again mate,
This is a must know imo for working out the best set up of the card.

On stock cooling / bios volts anything over 729 on the core is a no go, but then again it may well be the shader clocks holding me back.
Not that Im unhappy with 729/1215 :)

And thanks for the tip using ATItools with Rivatuner, that will save me some time ;)

Will the card hold that 729 core clock hold in a 3DM01 Nature Only torture test (25 repeat passes
(not loop!) with the title screens disabled) and not core lock???

I would be very surprised if that 1215 memory is truly clean in ATItool SoA.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Will the card hold that 729 core clock hold in a 3DM01 Nature Only torture test (25 repeat passes
(not loop!) with the title screens disabled) and not core lock???

I would be very surprised if that 1215 memory is truly clean in ATItool SoA.

Viper

Im not sure about either at this point, but I can tell you it will run at that speed for all benches,
Im along way off saying for sure its 100% clean.
But I will do as above and post up my results.

I for one hope it does pass, but then I would :)

ViperJohn said:
If you run ATItools Scan for Artifacts you can bring up RivaTuner then use it to change the cores 3D ROP clock in 9Mhz increments (Even, 1/3 and 2/3's multiples of 27) and then see the true core ROP and Shader clocks immediately in the graph. For the 8800GTX cards do the same with the memory as the GTX's will step the true memory clock at some 1/3 and 2/3's multiples. Just write down what set clock produces what true core ROP and Shader clocks (and the memory on the GTX cards) and you can save yourself massive amounts of OC trial and error time!

Thank you very much for that bit of info. Very, very helpful.

Deanzo said:
Im not sure about either at this point, but I can tell you it will run at that speed for all benches,
Im along way off saying for sure its 100% clean.
But I will do as above and post up my results.

I for one hope it does pass, but then I would :)

When I mod cards for customers I rate there clocks on the lowest numbers I can find in any test and I run a lot of torture loops to just hammer the crap out of the cards. I am really picky too and watch the "rug" in ATItool SoA very closely. A single yellow dot in a ten minute run will get a memory clock downgrade from me. Most of the time ATItool won't even beep but that beep is pretty unreliable with 8800's anyway.

I have often found that while a 8800's memory may not be "Viper" clean in ATItool SoA I can't spot the memory tossing any cookies in the any of benchmark test at the same or higher higher speeds though. My customers often tell me they can game at higher clocks clean than I rated their cards for. I always tell them if they are not seeing any artifacts and the card isn't locking then run the clocks higher as it is all in the eye of the final user lol.

Viper

Well i'll be dipped in sheep stuff. You guys with Ultra's check for memory stepping on the 1/3 and 2/3's multiples of 27.

I have two identical eVGA 8800 Ultra's here right now that are only five cards apart in serial numbers. They both have the same bios (hell there is only one for an Ultra ATM). One card will step the memory at 1151 (27 x 42 2/3) and several other 1/3 and 2/3 multiples while the other card will only step the memory on even multiples of 27come hell or high water.

It's definitely got me scratching my head lol.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Well i'll be dipped in sheep stuff. You guys with Ultra's check for memory stepping on the 1/3 and 2/3's multiples of 27.

I have two identical eVGA 8800 Ultra's here right now that are only five cards apart in serial numbers. They both have the same bios (hell there is only one for an Ultra ATM). One card will step the memory at 1151 (27 x 42 2/3) and several other 1/3 and 2/3 multiples while the other card will only step the memory on even multiples of 27come hell or high water.

It's definitely got me scratching my head lol.

Viper

John,
Is this good or bad news for my card? How is she doing in your little boot camp session? :beer:

dominick32 said:
John,
Is this good or bad news for my card? How is she doing in your little boot camp session? :beer:

Yours is the one that will step on some 1/3 and 2/3's memory multiples. It isn't really good or bad
just informational.

Viper

Hey VJ

Im giving this a wee bump as I was getting a little OT on nicasoft thread and as this all got started here, best I just keep it to one thread.

The below is on a 40 repeat pass (not loop) with the title screens disabled, 3DM01 nature only torture test.

Core 720, Shader 1782, Memory 1080 (stock), Max temp 67c

Something you said in the other thread got me thinking, when I tried this last time I was running the memory at 1215 and thats why it may have locked up on the 3rd pass.
So for now I'll leave that alone and just see what the ROP/Shader will do, Im about to try 729 true, then 756, I hate how its such a big jump there.

Deanzo said:
Hey VJ

Im giving this a wee bump as I was getting a little OT on nicasoft thread and as this all got started here, best I just keep it to one thread.

The below is on a 40 repeat pass (not loop) with the title screens disabled, 3DM01 nature only torture test.

Core 720, Shader 1782, Memory 1080 (stock), Max temp 67c

Something you said in the other thread got me thinking, when I tried this last time I was running the memory at 1215 and thats why it may have locked up on the 3rd pass.
So for now I'll leave that alone and just see what the ROP/Shader will do, Im about to try 729 true, then 756, I hate how its such a big jump there.

Get some memory clock on the card. The core is spending a lot of time in wait states clocked that
high with the memory clocked that low. I haven't seen a stock Ultra yet that won't run 1152 memory.
After that try the N loop again. If ya get through that way you have one exceptional Ultra ROP clock
wise and definitely mod fodder.

Oh BTW make sure the card stays clean in ATItool Scan for Artifacts clocked up. In may toss cookies
in SoA on the higher shader clock or the memory controllers..

Viper

Last edited:
Core 720, Shader 1782, Memory 1152, Max temp 68c

The above tests are on vista 64 and the new 162.22, Im having some real issues with this new driver and ATITool, So I'll need to get that worked out before I can scan for artifacts.

PhysX said:
why do ppl still test with 3dm01 ? its not accurate, ive seen over 125k...

It's a standard benchmark and it is stil valid however it is easily CPU/System speed bound and capped.

In this case however that is not what it is being used for. Only one test (Nature) is being run in a specific
manner to obtain a specific go/no go result.

Viper

Deanzo said:
Im using nature as a torture test,

And the best score so far with 01 is 104905 done with two Ultra's in sli 1008/1224 cpu 5310 all under ln2

3DM01 won't SLI no matter what you do. The high scores come from the high system speed with
a fast single card (or the card in PCIe slot #1 of an SLI setup).

Viper

Back