• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my votages OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackbird007

OK keep in mind when you look at my voltages that I have a dreaded batch # L644G445 e6420. So I have to volt the hell out of it to overclock. That being said I will list my settings in bios and then what is actually read by Pc probe.

Bios Setting--------------Bios Voltage------------PC Probe Voltage
CPU Vcore-----------------1.6375v-----------------1.61v idle/ 1.58v load
Memory---------------------2.2v---------------------2.26v
NB Vcore-------------------1.6v---------------------1.68v
SB Vcore(sata,pcie)------Auto--------------------1.55v
SB Chipset-----------------Auto--------------------1.09v

The rest of the bios settings are:
fsb----400
ddr----800
PCIE---Auto
PCI Clock Sync----Auto
Spread Spectrum---Auto
FSB Term. Voltage---Auto
DDRII Ch. A reference---Auto
DDRII Ch. B reference---Auto
DDRII Controller---Auto
ASUS CGI---Auto
Static Read Control---Auto
Config Dram timing by SPD---Enable

My cpu temps are 25-27c idle and about 55c full load in orthos.

Is it ok to run on these settings? I only plan on using this cpu for about 4-5 months and then it will go in my htpc at stock volts and I will get another cpu for my main rig.

Another question is should I drop the multi and try to run a higher ram frequency while staying 1:1? Right now my ram is at ddr800 but i have tested the ram stable to ddr1140.

Thanks

1.6V Geez man! 55C load should be ok though, what the hell kind of cooler are you using?
How can you get the NB,SB voltage from PC Probe?

IMO, more than 1.6V is high especially on air cooling. It seems like a lot of volts just to get a 6420 (one of the best OCers) to what is that 3.2GHz?

Hazaro
I am using a tuniq tower in a u2 ufo case. The case has 7 120mm fans but they are undervolted to about 7v. In the config menu of pc probe 2 you can select which values you want to see.

GTengineer
The L644 batch is the worst batch of 6420s. It takes extremely high voltages to overclock the chip. I think it took around 1.55 just to get to 2.8ghz.

Still seems ridiculous, but the temps seem ok, I'm probably going to do the same to my 44 E6600.

First things first change your pcie from auto to manual and set either 100 or 101 then change your pci from auto to manual and set 33.3 then if you change cofig dram timming by SPD from enable to disable you will be able to change memory timmings and the divider your ram is using so with the same fsb and multi you could select ddr1000 and run the ram much faster.

What are your ambient temps like... you must live somewhere very cold.. I say give it more juice.:beer:

blackbird007 said:
Isnt it better to run your ram 1:1 though?

A RAM ratio higher than 1:1 will give you slightly better performance. For example if I run mine at 850MHz vs 800MHz I get a boost is super pi of about 0.3 seconds. Again it is a very small boost but it does not hurt unless you are having stability issues.

I live in south texas, but my house is usually in the low 70's. Im gonna get super pi and test out my setting now and then bump up the frequency and test it again.

Back