• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Discussions on cracking are not allowed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbie_Doo

Admin Parent
Discussions on hacking are not allowed!

This forum prohibits discussion on how to "hack" (crack) services (including ISPs), software (bypassing copyprotects), and other people's systems.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules which are posted at the top of each page.

Anthony

Last edited:
I'd like to request a rename of this thread. Hacking = learning about technology, software, hardware, etc. I believe what you are referencing is cracking. To say discussions about hacking are not allowed means increasing your voltage by modifying your mb, changing registry entries in windows to fix their error.. err defaults and using beta drivers to increase performance beyond what the vendors meant them to be would all be not allowed. An awful lot of people come to overclockers.com , and the forums looking for answers to questions. We should strive to not push false images about what we are about.

yes you are correct true hackers are good people like us who have fun and don't do illegal stuff. teh media also named illegal evil doers this so that is why he is using that term. I don't think you need to change the wording it lets the people understand not to ask where to download/use cracking utils.

So we should just sit back and let our hobby be labeled an illegal act? This is what you are saying, because the media fails to understand anything technical, and microsoft wants to label anyone who doesn't suck up their pathetic excuses for software as subversive "hackers" who only want to destroy. Yes, if you continue to accept the concept that those who question why things work the way they do, and those who attempt to fix things when they don't work as being in the wrong, it won't be long until WE, the hardware enthusiasts, are the ones being targeted.

Edit -- Just to make things clear, it is currently illegal to remove any type of restrictions from media, no matter how weak, even if you own it and want to use it on "non approved systems" It won't be long until it is extended to include using hardware in a "non approved" way. So yes, this is relevant, but probably way beyond the original intent of this thread.

Last edited:
Might makes right! I wish people knew about the term crackers but it ain't going to happen. the stupid Media is just that and I don't think they will ever change.

I do not personally see a problem with the thread title even though I am aware of the difference between hacking and cracking, when someone mentions the term Hacking due to the media my thoughts now generally provide images of illigal activitys.
I personally do not consider myself to be a hacker even though I enjoy learning about technology, The term 'Hacking' and what it meant in the past however relevant or correct, the term no longer means that. The media such as the Press and Movie companys have changed it's meaning.

I believe that Hacking portrays 'negative images' and it is the positive aspects of knowledge and learning about hardware or overclocking should be promoted. Overclockers and hardware enthusiasts need to present a responsible and professional image to ensure that companys still support us and make the products we want and need. The term hacking is not often used by hardware enthusiasts or overclockers, when someone asks for advice regarding motherboard voltage increases they generally ask about 'mobo mods' and not 'mobo hacks'...

Hacking is a mis-understood term that now provides the general public with negaitive images and as such should not be associated with harware enthusiasts or overclocking imho

Last edited:
well seeing as this thread seems to be evolving in to a debate i thought i would add my 2p worth....yes we all know the technical differnces in the terms hacker/cracker and hacking IS the application of an individuals thoughts and ideas on an object that will stop/change or alter the behaviour of that device to stop it doing something you do not want it to or make it do something that it wasn't originally intended, Though the media has indeed conjured up the HACKER as some kind of evil computer villain from a 60's episode of batman , thing is who here really gives? they can say that oc'ing is bad but it seems odd to hear oc'ing even remotely connected to 'bad' ,
and for those of us who have dabbled and maybe even appreciate a good virus,
and the few of us who use utilities like 'softice' to reverse engineer software dont need the world to know we are not evil people, just people who (as some one has said) like to ask the who , why ,where,how and what of things, WE KNOW what we are and who we are and will always do so regardless of morals so just do your thing ,,,,,,
BUT IN THE FORUM there are RULEZ and even if we do not agree with them it is for no-one but the person who set out those rules to question the policy of the forum i have personally had experience of blatantly giving out hacks and diallups and allsorts blatantly on open forum and it all came to a sticky end for some SO WE DO NOT NEED TO KNOW WHY THE MODS HAVE MADE THESE RULEZ WE ONLY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEM AND IF YOU LIKE THE PLCE STICK TO THEM

(its not like you dont get plenty warnings if you are a bit silly);)

I named the thread for the 80% who don't know the difference, not the 20% who do. Yes, I mean cracking. In response to the request, and in hopes that all will understand, I will make the change.

Anthony

Sadly that is the world view.

Hackers = bad.
Crackers = also bad (yet unheardof in the news)

Fear not - For they are the arrogant ones. Nothing can stop that.

Now let us end in prayer. :eek:

Mojoman said:
Now let us end in prayer. :eek:

Amen.

There are two reasons I think of myself as a hacker:
1) I'm a no-talent hack.
2) I use a hack-and-slash method to get my computers to work. It's not unheard of for me to use a hammer to get my computer to do what I want it to.

I am sory it was me :'( I never do it again, and i don't do that thing as a hobie, just stumbled accross it...

My 2cp

yes, hacking is bad, but what most people don't realize the majority of people that can be called hackers either OC, or really break in just to send notes about security holes. (the white hats.) It's just the media that makes them look bad. I say the media was a creation of the devil, along with the following:

AOL
Microsoft
Enron
Burger King
Compaq
Let me repeat aol one last time, because I think that AOL is the means in which satan plans to rule the world. (joking...)

Black Hawk
Newbie:burn:

Hacking is exploring networks with/without permission and of course learning as much as u can about how computer sciences to become as 31337 as you can.

Cracking is exploring networks to harm em.

Newbie_Doo said:
I named the thread for the 80% who don't know the difference, not the 20% who do. Yes, I mean cracking. In response to the request, and in hopes that all will understand, I will make the change.

Anthony
newbie_doo hit the nail on the head but I don't 20% is way to high. just look at some of the post in this thread. By the way guys hacking has nothing to do with breaking into networks. that would be cracking. Anybody that has done a volt mod on ther board or has connected the L1 to unlock thier cpu.
and the use WPcredit to cool their computer at idle are hackers

Hacking is exploring networks with/without permission and of course learning as much as u can about how computer sciences to become as 31337 as you can.
Thats a bunch of nonsense both are cracking and immoral.

Suffering from bad press eh? People with different interests have much the same problem. People that like powerful dogs are suffering terrible scrutiny right now due to the dog mauling case. Columbine affected guns, music, and movies.

Wouldn't it be nice to see news reporters that actually got things right and bothered to become informed about a subject before they spouted off about it on TV? Have you ever sat down and talked with people that are studying to be TV broadcasters? IMHO, they are usually so pretty/handsome that they have never needed to use a single brain cell in their life. The only requirements for their job are to look good and speak clearly. Getting things right doesn't matter as long as they are the first person to broadcast it...

Back