• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Discussions on cracking are not allowed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy ****, who gives a ****. This is the stupidest thread ever. Oh no he said cracker, did he mean hacker?? Boohoo STFU nobody cares. This thread isn't made to be replied to. "He accused me of being a cracker, although I'm a hacker, which is misunderstood by the media." OH GOD , like Maddox said:

Attachments

• crybaby.gif
    crybaby.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 735
I just had to throw in my 2 cents.. That brings us up to almost a dollar now, doesn't it? :p

When I hear cracker, I think reverse-engineer-type-person, someone loading up hex editors to make progs do what they want, which in most cases is to get a free cd key or registration number or something like that. I also thing a food that goes with soup.

When I hear hacker, I think internet-based stuff usually, unless we're talking operating systems or hardware, which are usually specified. There's definitely the hat system too. White hat, I'm gonna find security holes and let you know how to better protect yourself. Black hat, I'm gonna find secuirty holes and have fun with them. Grey hat, I'm gonna find security holes and tell you, maybe for a price, but only after i've satisfied my non-malicious curiosity.

I also think of a guy with an axe.

...So are we talking about guys with axes and soup crackers, or what?

let's all get a bit blunt axe and hack up that stomp in front of mah yard... look ma, i'm a hacker lol

Although my views are'nt taken seriously around here as of late, Ill throw this into the mix:
Consider that when the apple guys built their first system back in 1978, I was in the 3rd grade, taking 5th grade science and 6th grade math. I became an enthusiast by 4th grade, repairing radio and televisions and stuff, usually making them work better when done.
I recieved my first computer at age 11, a timex sinclair with a tape drive. I had so many little program errors on that thing, i decided i needed to learn coding to fix the bugs in the programs. I almost consider that hacking in the sense that I was reverse engineering the programs, mostly in BASIC i believe, to repair them.
That was in 1983 (i think), before the War Games movie came out. ( I sound old now)

When the term "hacker" hit the street, the media found a new outlet to spew forth falsifications and mis-judgements. (IMHO) Therefore, people believed that the word "hacker" meant anything bad to do with computers.
The word "cracker" on the other hand, thats a new breed of people. Not the ones i remember as being the absent-minded people of the rural southeastern United States, but a type of person out for malicious activity and "snooping" for personal gains or devilish acts upon society and other things.

I believe I've added enough to this already lengthy thread.

BTW,AO-HELL has been hacking ever since version 5 software came out, yet millions of moronic, don't-know-any-better people still use it. Why? :shrug:

Black Hawk said:
yes, hacking is bad, but what most people don't realize the majority of people that can be called hackers either OC, or really break in just to send notes about security holes. (the white hats.) It's just the media that makes them look bad. I say the media was a creation of the devil, along with the following:

AOL
Microsoft
Enron
Burger King
Compaq
Let me repeat aol one last time, because I think that AOL is the means in which satan plans to rule the world. (joking...)

Black Hawk
Newbie:burn:

Black Hawk this is off topic... but erm... your avatar... um well skip isn't nobody! He made the overclockers.com site and a built the basis that is now the forums, although we are owned by iNet interactive now. Skip still plays some part!

OFF TOPIC POST (BUT A NECESSARY EVIL)

Skip still plays some part!

For some reason the term god father comes to mind. Skip is a great guy, I never delt with him personally, I wasn't around when he was, but everything I heard tends me to believe that, and he still does post every now and again.

This policy should be amended to read...
Discussions on circumventing information systems security facilities on corporate, educational, or otherwise private networks, or discussions pertaining to piracy, are prohibited.

For users in the United States, keep in mind that corporate and educational networks reserve the right (18 USC 2511(2)) to monitor your Internet and network usage at any time while you are on the school's/company's service segment if they have a 'reasonable suspicion' that their network, information, or property assets are at risk. This is not an inclusive list and does not include the IAUP of any company or school. Recall that misuse of information assets may result in disciplinary consequences, up to and including termination and/or civil action. (Your IAUP may also include specific policies prohibiting the use of encryption or proxy servers. Use these technologies at work at your own risk.)

In other words...we (we, OCF) do not want to be responsible for it.

Agreed Cap'n.

There's been a few flames in this thread although they are a year old now, which I the involved should kiss and make up for ;) hehehehe

Let me add another perspective.

I buy a legal game from a retail store.

I decide I don't want to insert the cd/dvd every time I play the game.
So I go to a legal website and download the "cracked" *.exe which has removed the cd protection from the game allowing me to play the game without the disc in the drive.

While yes, this is an easy was to pirate copy a game on to multiple computers, it is legal (only if you own the original game), whats more is that this is referred to as "cracking" or "patching" a game, but most commonly called "cracking" it.

The terminology here should ideally be changed as "cracking" seems to give people bad vibes, and thoughts of illegal activities.

I could also "hack" the registry and remove the cd protection in some games. However I could also "modify" the registry.

Whether the word is associated with illegal activites or not really depends on the context it is used in, and more specifically, the situation in which it is used.

Since the DMCA these "patches" to allow a game to run without CD in drive are illegal. No matter how you call it

Then why are sites like gamecopyworld still in existence? Only because they claim to provide the tools to make a backup possible. The DMCA has been around since 1998, this site has been running eight years since then and no legal action been placed against them.

The fact remains: it's a copy protection circumvention device, so the DMCA forbids it. Dunno about the US, maybe possession of the device is not illegal, but using the device sure is.

To not in effect, allow open discussion of security in the "Internet, Networking, and SECURITY" section of the forum seems a little off. The only way to test security is by attempting to defeat it. Untested security is only security by faith.

Now imma gonna be a good doobie and follow the rules, but I would suggest renaming this section if actual security discussions are not allowed.

Jeff

Jeff, I see where your coming from.

The forum staff here is reasonable. They are good at discerning the good from the bad and encourage helpful discussion. All the rules here are guidelines to help people "get it", they aren't all inclusive of what's ok and what's not.

Context of the discussion is what's important here. If it looks like your giving a tutorial on DDOSing that's not gonna fly, if it looks like your giving a tutorial on mitigating a DDOS and you talk about relevant issues, your fine.

The mods are people and we're reasonable, unless its a clear/intentional violation of the rules we will just give you guidance. Watch out for the admins tho, I'm pretty sure they are robots. ;)

*removed my post*
sinned I have apparently.
sorry.

(I in no way intended to do this forum any harm. Its a good place I shall respect them there rules!)

Just F*E*C*K* all places to relax and let your mouth off in the UK.
had all our DNA sold to a company in america.
Dont get asked if we would all like to send our family to get shot at.
And now every phonecall, text message and key stroke is logged and requires F*E*C*K* all reasons to poke threw by the man.
WELCOME TO PRISON UK
Americas next LOL
Big brotherly love is the 21st century plague and you fools are confused about smackin `n a crackin LOL
were all just cattle with a net value LOL
this planets doomed.. bring your kids into that one! LOL
feckin guff

sorry moderators. sorry guvernment lol (dont want to dissappear in the night!)... like a third rate Tibetan in there own country lol

Last edited:
Back