• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a noobish view on overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TAshifter88

Registered
Ok, so I've spent two days STRAIGHT.. vacation time.. just lurking through these forums and a few others' forums for advise on overclocking. I'm planning on doing my first OC probably this Friday if the parts come in, so I want to make sure I have this right. And what better way then to look at OCing and comparing it to real-life situations! I don't know.. maybe if I got this right, it'll help other noob OCers. Here goes nothing(note that when I mentino a "cycle" fmor the cpu to the ram sticks, I don't mean that happens in real life. I'm also leaving out the gpu..or at least until I look more into that):( :

Let's assume that your house is the processor. You want to stay at home to watch the ballgame, however the wife needs attention too, and demands a divorce and some righteous child-support money if you don't obey to her will. To settle the beast, you decide to go treat her to a trip to the mall, because that's like treasure to many a wife. Let's consider the mall, your ram sticks
:D. Now then, you've got to remember that your goal is to watch the game that's coming on at 4, so you've gotta head down to the mall, and back as QUICKLY as possible, meaning OC your way over there. Sounds simple (drive FAST or drop her in the ditch) but there are many more obstacles than that, that you'll have to face.

First off, there are speed limits (your FSB). There's no possible way you can exceed this "speed limit" w/o getting a ticket and stuck on the boot-up. Not to mention, a speed limit isn't very helpful in a congested, one-way road. To get there faster, you can simply add lanes "increase the multiplier". This way, the "now highway" can accommodate much more traffic, and you'll have much of an easier time getting to the mall (RAM). However, you can't just simply increase the amount of lanes. You CAN, however, increase the speed limit (comes at a cost.. The more congestion, the more heat (women drivers) you'll come across, meaning you'll.. most likely get into more crashes this way). However, getting there is half the hassle, and you have to plan on how you're going to "get back" before you begin your trek. (How fast you're going)*(# of lanes)=how fast you get the job done (more = better). Just remember, different states/counties (motherboard) will have different maximum speed limits to go up to (cpu standard RAM bandwidth). To make best use of your time, living in a state with a large enough maximum speed limit will help tenfold.. Also, it's wisest to sacrifice the # of lanes, if you will get higher speeds, as your trip back home from the mall will be a one-lane road. Make the most of what you can.. because a speed limit (FSB)works for your entire system, unlike the number of lanes (multiplier).

You may be able to get there in 10 minutes, but the way back is always less predictable. Sometimes you get lost in those big parking lots, or just everyone decides to leave at once. The problem here, is the speed you leave is different from the speed you entered (bottleneck). This may work for you, but if you prepare for the worst, then you can save quite a bit of valuable time by planning. Whatever speed you entered (FSB), is going to be the speed that you're going to want to leave from the mall (RAM bandwidth). Your life just works out much easier and more efficient that way obtaining that 1:1 ratio of FSB:ram frequency.. but you should be fine with a higher ram frequency regardless.

Now that you've got your two times matched on cue, you've got to worry about your trip in the mall. Now then, as before, you want to spend as little time in the mall as possible, but still get the job done. The wife is going to want to spend a bit of time in a few different stores, and you've got to limit her time in each one (latency x-x-x-x, with "x' being a different store ventured to). Typically, the less time you spend in them, the quicker you'll get back home. However, you'll have a ****ED off beast on your hands if you only spend one minute in each store. It's just not worth it, and will only end in injuries. HOWEVER, sometimes you can get away with about 3 minutes in the first few stores, and spend a larger amount of time in the food court lastly. A good time to achieve would be roughly 3-3-3-8. It gets the job done and gets you home quicker, so it should work just fine. Once again, another thing to look out for is your wives spending (heat). You HAVE to keep a limit on this, or it'll end up costing you. Most men who want to go on this journey have a fist of god though, and will put this problem to rest with no problem at all, but there are FEW cases that you may need some help.

Now then, the MOST IMPORTANT thing on any man's mind when on the road must again be followed VERY attentively. And that, once again, is women drivers (heat). You WILL no doubt come across women drivers on your journey, and you can fork out some pretty sick driving skills (cooling solutions), however they will still be impossible to avoid. The faster speeds you're traveling, the more you'll come across as well. With sufficient driving skills, however, you should be able to avoid the lethal crashes that come with all women. And you never know when something can go wrong with your car, such as a blowout (radiator, fan, or pump goes out), and you may end up smashing into a woman driver before you even notice what hit you. Then you're in the hospital getting new limbs..

Welp, as lame as that was, I was bored, and in my mind, sums up the majority of what to look out for. Oh, and watch out for voltage much over 1.5v on your processor.. I'll throw a few numbers down to demonstrate it a bit better.
*Let's say Texas' MAXIMUM speedlimit is 1066f/s (actually 533f/s, as 1066fs/ is based on DDR (doubled bandwidth))
*You want the most speed possible, so a max speed of 1066f/s works perfectly (1066mhz ram bandwidth, however, divide this by two as this is DDR (double the bandwidth)
*Now pick how many lanes you want. Keep in mind, the more women drivers you cross, the more dangerous. We'll just stick with 6 out of a possible.. 9 just to be safe.

(533f/s)*(6 lanes) ~ 3198. This means 3.2 Ghz

So that was a lot of nothing really, but it's helping ME remember the stuff, though I do know it on a more "scientific" approach than given.
But now I'm actually wondering if someone can help me with something. I've just bought an almost-complete rig, and I want to OC it this Friday if newegg/tankguys sends the stuff quick enough. Here is what I'm working with:

e6600 2.4 ghz
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131182

I know I can clock @ 533 mhz and put full use of this ram. But I'm wondering if I can put a rational number as a multiplier, such as 6.75? It'd make for a 3.6Ghz OC, which is about as stable as I've seen anything go when it comes to air-cooling. It can go @ 3.73 ghz w/ a multiplier of 7, but that starts pushing it quite a bit. I'm using:
heatsink:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256012

I REALLY doubt that I can get to 3.6ghz with these temperatures, however I'll get an H2O cooling system later.

I know this was ENTIRELY long and drawn out, but when you're abandoned at home waiting for your car's paint to dry, and you've got nowhere to go, laying in bed sick. Sorry for any headaches I've cause :D. Thanks

You can only use whole number multipliers (can't use 6.75.) Also, 3.6ghz isn't necessarily going to be stable for you just because you see that it is stable for some other people. It depends on a multitude of factors. Last, your analogy isn't exactly dead on and is quite confusing. Good luck with the overclocking.

haha, ya. I know it's really not point on, and OCing has QUITE a bit of luck involved. It also seems that the batch is has a pretty big deal with it, after further study. It seems anything past the 32nd week is tougher to OC. I'm just saying this based off of other's views and their clockspeeds on different batches. Sounds like my only choice here is to mess around with the multiplier and bandwidth and see what I can get :x. Oh well

And I took your advice sinnerman, and I bought a stepped cpu. It's week 30, so from what I've seen, many people have ran it at 3.6 ghz stable. But then again, this may all just be luck and coincidence.. we'll see.

Make your own luck, get a CPU with a proven stepping and don't be greedy/overzealous with the overclock. 99.9% of problems occur when someone pushed marginal equipment too far, knowing when there is a little more and when to stop are the first things you need to learn or this will be a very expensive hobby.

ZxSlow,
How will people know how high their chip can go if they aren't a bit "greedy?" And why would they go for a proven stepping if they weren't gonna try to overclock it as far as it could go? Also, 99.9% of the time when hardware is pushed too far, programs will simply error out or the computer will restart. I've been overclocking my systems to their potential (read max stable oc) for over 4 years and have yet to have a piece of hardware die due to overclocking. And some of the equipment I've used may be considered "marginal" by some.

TAshifter88 said:
...all women drivers should read this...

LOL...did your wife read your analogy yet?

I definitely recommend buying and using a decent air cooler right off the bat (I have the Thermalright SI-128 and I'm pleased with it) instead of using intel's supplied heatsink. :thup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223
^this is the heatsink I ordered. Ya.. it may not be liquid-cooled, but it puts the bread on the table. I can at least get a bit of experience working OCing with it anyways, and get the feel. If I need more, there's always the option of upgrading.

As far as going too far with things, TRUST me, I'll take it one step at a time. I won't just jump from 2.4ghz->3.7ghz and see how well it works out for me. I may be notches below novice, but I know better than THAT! The previous steppings seem promising, but I'll put them to the test. If a novice can get some power out of a card, there's got to be a bit more than just luck involved... ;D

Last edited:
Back