• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-operating Laptop, help and advice please..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Just got a second-hand laptop to look at. It powers up for about 5-7 seconds (sometimes in this timeframe you can see the screen and rush into the BIOS), then the screen dies. The fans start whining for about 15 seconds after startup, then go silent. Some lights are still left on but it's otherwise non-responsive. I can hear the internal HDD still spinning. It's an advent MID2020 (8640SC)

Help please ;)

and this is while its plugged in? if so, you got a bad video board or LCD ... my guess is on the video board

you can buy a motherboard for it, but you have to find the manufcaturers model, etc, it might be kind of expensive tho

edit: if it boots past post, my other guess is the lcd is being pushed out of specs, and the windows refresh rate or resolution is killing your video.

Hook it up to an external monitor and see what happens, (if it only shows for a second there should be a key combination on the keyboard to switch between LCD/extern)

Murdochs_mad said:
Hook it up to an external monitor and see what happens, (if it only shows for a second there should be a key combination on the keyboard to switch between LCD/extern)

Tried that a couple of times. No video to the external CRT but occasionally there is to the LCD when the external is not plugged in (my guess is the external gets a picture for a few seconds but the monitor doesn't have time to warm up).

Back