• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you apply thermal paste on your CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muhon_zen

Hi, I wanted some suggestions on how to apply thermal paste to a CPU. I'm using Sempron 3000+ Socket A, but any suggestions are fine. Let's use this topic so people can share their techniques and methods :D

Well it could vary a little bit with different kinds of paste, but in general I think it's usually best to spread a very thin layer across the core. On a CPU with a heatspreader you would put a little blob in the center and it would spread itself out. But with the open core CPU's you should spread it out.

I use a plastic sandwich bag and my finger to spread it nice and thin and even.

Ugly, I assume you do that on CPUs with heatspreader... what about those with the core outside (such as AthlonXP 2000+, for instance)?

Pearl, thanks for the tip. Great info!

I put a small blob in the middle and three tiny blobs around that, put the heatsink on, give it a half turn and back then mount the heatsink. If the heatsink is too big to turn I use and old id card to put a thin layer on the cpu and the heatsink then mount. Very thin so I can still see the writing.

without heatspreader - spread the paste yourself

with heatspreader - small blob in the center and let the heatsink contact do the rest.

I posted in another thread but it got no replies.

Inkfx what do you mean headspreader? I know what a heatsink is... but yea. Im going to be buying a e6600 core 2 duo. Can you tell me how that would work?

Skip to 2:40. Is that good?

Last edited:
The E6600 would be a CPU with a heatspreader. All CPUs come with heatspreaders on them these days. However, the Athlon he has probably doesn't.

a CPU comes with heatspreader when it has a metal surface on top of the core (so you don't get to see the core). It's larger, so it will have more surface with the heatsink. If you remember old Pentiums (133MHz ones) it should recall a heatspreader (all the surface to touch the heatsink).

Athlon XP and Sempron XP for Socket A come like a small square (core) on top of a silicon board which is the CPU. The core goes straight to the heatsink, so it's not a heat spreader.

I use my pocket knife. I've been getting better results with that than my previous attempts with a straight razor.

Someone is telling me I dont need to put thermal paste on my e6600. He says that it comes with it already on it or something... And he said he didnt do anything.

He is correct in a way, the Stock HSF comes with a thermal pad installed. However, the CPU does not have any sort or TIM applied. If you are using it for the first time, you do not been to apply anything, but the thermal pads generally do not perform as well as an aftermarket thermal paste or material.

The first time I put AS Ceramique on my CPU (with heatspreader), I just made a line down the middle and put the heatsink on top (as per the instructions on the Arctic Silver website), but I was concerned that I had put too much on, as it was a little hot.

So I took it off and cleaned it up and followed the method given by Custom PC (a UK magazine), who recommended the spread a small blob with your finger in a sandwich bag method. Unfortunately, I found that Ceramique was a little difficult to spread evenly with a finger, so now I think that it's too uneven, as there seemed to be little bits where there was more TIM than others.

But, seeing as it's now summer, the ambient temperatures are fluctuating so wildly that it's hardly worth the effort to do it again, and almost impossible to tell if it's better with one method or another (difference of only 2°C or so.)

Basically, either I did both methods badly (which is very possible), or there isn't any noticable difference between those two methods if done correctly.

Difference between a bad mount and a good mount isnt that noticable, especially since you've got fluctuating ambient temps.

I put a small rice grain sized blob in the middle of the IHS and let the heatsink spread it out once its mounted. Never had problems.

I disagree. I've seen bad mounts that cause a delta of 3-4°C. That is certainly noticeable.

That said, you do need to keep track of your ambient temps or your temp sensors will tell you nothing useful.

When I mounted the XP90 onto my 3200+ I remember putting a large blob, yes, a large blob onto the metal covering of the CPU. None of it leaked over the side or anything but that was my very first build ever, nothing went wrong though... lol.

(This is the same system with the large amount of thermal paste, I think I should reapply....)

muhon_zen said:
Ugly, I assume you do that on CPUs with heatspreader... what about those with the core outside (such as AthlonXP 2000+, for instance)?

Pearl, thanks for the tip. Great info!

Right, the once with a heatspreader. The once with core outside, well i havent used one since P3. Back then just nice small blob in the center.

Back