• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer's here.. PWM controller and maybe some upgrades..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLOOP!

Hi guys

I have a DPDT switch (5v / 12) for my 2 x 120mm Panaflo Ultra Performance. The switch is working fine, however sometimes I need something in between so I'm going to do this. I know there are tons of controllers already available but I'm not a big fan of 15 flashing leds, 30 knobs and my computer isnt an airplane and i'm nos a pilot either :p

1. I only need one channel to drive those 2 fans in parallel right?

If not, I'll have to make 2 pwm circuits then. The fans dont need to be controlled individually, is there such things as a dual pots or whatever so I only need 1 pot for the 2 circuit?

2. Summers here, and theres no damn way i'm oc'ing down :p

A. My 2 Panaflo's are barely holding it about 55-65 orthos load depending on the time of the day. I'm thinking of getting 2 of these Delta's. Will it improve my temps? If its anywhere between >5deg diff i'd get it.

Coz from my understanding on how radiator works the more air/faster air movement = faster heat dissipation = lower temps right?

I dont mind the noise when I'm benching or playing games, I play with my logitech z5500's cranked up. And I'm going to do that PWM controller for my panaflos anyway.

or..

B. I have a couple more of some $3 120mm rosewill fans that I could cut and remove one side from each then stick'em together and function as a shroud for my panaflos. that kills the dead spots right? Would that be better than the deltas?

3. I dont have any plans of doing this anytime soon

but what if I upgrade my current WC setup to a 1/2" tubing? How much temp drops are we lookin at? But then I'd be needing some:

A. 1/2" tubes
B. A new pump or maybe a new top for my MCP350
C. A new bay reservoir or just drop my MCRES-1000P complety and just use a t-line

I'm not good when it comes to explanation and english isnt my native language so bear with me.

And BTW, I'm doing that PWM fan controller since I need something in between say 5v/12v (I know it doesnt work like that), but you get the idea.

Thanks! :)

Your hitting 55-65c using watercooling? 5c heat reduction through fans is pretty difficult to attain if you already have fans going.

ps2cho said:
Your hitting 55-65c using watercooling? 5c heat reduction through fans is pretty difficult to attain if you already have fans going.

Then #2 is out.

What about #3? Will I see much difference? Is it worth upgrading my system to 1/2" tubes with just a t-line?

Upgrading tubes, I really doubt it. Pump, maybe, but I have no clue what kind of flowrate you're getting off that pump (can't it be modded for more head?).

I think those Deltas (monsters!) might help depending if your rad is really starving for some more airflow. I wouldn't spend that much on fans though. Are your fans getting fresh air? I think a shroud would be the most logical step since you have a BI rad. You could easily build a cheapo one just to test.

5C is a lot if you're pushing your cooling already. 65C isn't horrible. If it was me, I'd just stick it out as long as the rig was stable and not getting too much hotter.

The rig is stable, no problems or whatsoever. It even handled my old presshot 630/p5wd2 @ 4ghz, then my E63/P5B-D @ 3.5, then now this new P5k-D and same cpu at 3.4Ghz. I dont really want to buy or upgrade what I have right now, I'm just doing that PWM controller because sometimes 5v is too low and 12v is too much.

The real question is, is that PWM controller capable of driving the 2 Ultra Panaflo that I have?

I just thought that while I'm at it why not upgrade the fans. Just for arguments sake will there be much difference? The fans that I have puts out 115~ cfm compared to those deltas that has almost twice its power (220cfm). :)

Back