• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumb noob question (switching CPU to another board)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

P4P800 died...ordered a new compatible board for my socket 478 2.6C...

I took the CPU off, and of course it is stuck to the bottom of the heat sink...guess the safest way to install it is to (carefully) pry it off of the heat sink first, so I can use the lever on the CPU socket? Or can you just line up pins and push it in?

Remove the cpu. NEVER attach it to the heatsink then try putting it in.

Twist it slightly and gently. At the same time push to one side. All gently, and really take your time about it.

I've never tried this..but I was told that you could use a blow dryer to heat up the chip. It should help make it easier to remove from the heatsink. Keep in mind I haven't tried this. But the info came from a member of ocforums. HBB. Worth A try I recon.

Last edited:
Only a little. :santa:

I would try and put some Arctic Cleaner, then poke at it with a toothpick. If I was lacking the knowledge of the hairdryer method.

Twisting gently back and forth is the best method. It will break free suddenly so make sure u wear a glove to protect your hand when it slams into some metal. A glove also allows a bit more force.

I don't see how you use a screw driver because you will have to pry against something and most likely damage it.

Actually a screwdriver isn't a bad idea. Ive had my p4 2Aghz come off connected to my xp-90 and other random copper heatsink about 5 times :\ you can VERY gently use a FLATHEAD screwdriver between the HS and the CPU and twist until the cpu comes loose. again GENTLE. its probably not as hard to get off as you think. I would recommend just using your hands though. twist and pull. Be patient and it will come off. I'm sure the hairdryer method will work very well to, but unnecessary in my opinion. ALSO before you put the CPU back in make sure you check carefully to make sure none of the pins on the CPU are bent back. Every time I've had this accident I've bent a pin or two at the corner of the CPU. If this happens take a mechanical pencil with no graphite, put the front of the pencil around the pin and CAREFULLY bend it into place. I've never had and issue doing this. Another ALSO, I'd clean off all the thermal compound and reapply it. Not 100% necessary but I highly recommend it. Use rubbing alcohol and a qtip. You can get the initial stuff off with a cotton ball too if you want. I;m sure you know the rest. Hope that helped, just my $.02.

the hair dryer works good. its the easiest way, it just loosens up the thermal paste so you can twist it off easy.

i just run orthos for a few mins before i shut down my computer. makes it real easy to get off.

Back