• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

42" Viore HD Plasma (Refurb) $589 + ship

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I have. I've seen Viore branded plasma TV's at Sam's Club, Wal*Mart and Office Max. They are actually made by Akai. Wal*Mart had these for $800 on Black Friday, and that was a good deal. At $200 less this is scorching.

Um, might be a stupid question, if its a widescreen monitor why does it only support 4:3 PC input? (1024x768 max?)

Neur0mancer said:
Um, might be a stupid question, if its a widescreen monitor why does it only support 4:3 PC input? (1024x768 max?)

HDTV isn't exactly determined by vertical resolution, although that helps in the overal picture quality. The horizontal resolution is the primary factor in HD resolution - in this case, supporting 768 pixels horizontally (720p, up to 1080i).

1024x768 is 4:3 to a computer monitor, but is capable of doing a widescreen picture via various methods.

To answer your question though, it's not HD as defined by ATSC standards.

Jon said:
HDTV isn't exactly determined by vertical resolution, although that helps in the overal picture quality. The horizontal resolution is the primary factor in HD resolution - in this case, supporting 768 pixels horizontally (720p, up to 1080i).

1024x768 is 4:3 to a computer monitor, but is capable of doing a widescreen picture via various methods.

To answer your question though, it's not HD as defined by ATSC standards.
This display is one of the few displays which uses rectangular pixels (as opposed to square on a "normal" LCD). That's how it is able to have a 16:9 aspect ratio with a 1024x768 display: Each pixel is wider than it is tall.

However, it looks like it can accept input up to 1080i and scale it to the panel's native resolution. Like all LCDs (EDIT: and plasmas :), ) you're banking on the display's internal scaler to take non-native content and scale to the native resolution.

Last edited:
aaronjb said:
This display is one of the few displays which uses rectangular pixels (as opposed to square on a "normal" LCD). That's how it is able to have a 16:9 aspect ratio with a 1024x768 display: Each pixel is wider than it is tall.

Correct. My Daewoo plasma is like that too, the pixels aren't square. So it's native resolution is something we'd normally consider 4:3, but it is in fact widescreen.

The scalers used with panels like these know that the pixels aren't square and take that into account when converting the input. That way the picture isn't distorted.

Back