Shifty article on PS3 programming vs 360 programming

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?arti...SUIT&ATTR=DIGG

Either I'm reading this wrong, the author doesn't write very well and is making it look like he's saying the 360 uses an Intel chip instead of separating the two or this article is a bunch of BS.

As Phoenix Wright would say: OBJECTION!!!!

Perhaps when saying it is 22Xfaster than the Intel Chip and inferring Intel=360 they're comparing it to the Xbox1?

The Xbox360 uses a tri-core PowerPC chip. The PS3 uses a single core PowerPC cell chip which aside from being 2 cores short of the 360, uses SPEs which are kind of like DSPs(digital signal processors) that are assigned to certain tasks.

This would mean the CORE programming (being the PPC CPU) is the same and the difference is 3 cores vs 1 core and 7 SPEs. I think whoever wrote this article has some facts mixed up.

yeah thats a poorly written article

Fold for Team 32!

My Heatware

There is quite an interesting article on the challenges posed by programming for the cell here:

http://www.ddj.com/dept/64bit/197801624
    The Last Gonzo of Scotland.
    Core i7 950 @ 4Ghz, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 6870 CF, Xonar D2X, 12GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Bigfoot 2100, Agility 3 120GB, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Corsair HX1000w, Cambridge Audio A500 and Acoustic Research speakers (Main PC)
    Alienware M11x, C2D SU 7300, Geforce 335M, Corsair Force 40GB (Laptop)
    Opteron 175, DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D, Radeon x850 XT PE, 4GB BH-5, OCZ Petrol 64GB, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 2x TerraTec PHASE 22, Enermax Liberty ELT500, Yamaha A-S300 and Mordaunt Short Aviano speakers (Music PC)
    Pentium D 920, Gigabyte 965P-S3, Geforce 210, 2GB Elpida DDR2, TerraTec PHASE 22, ASUS DVB-T (HTPC)
    Dual P3 866Mhz, Intel 440LX Board, 1.8GB PC133Mhz, 2x Voodoo 2 12MB, Turtle Beach FIJI (Retro Gaming Machine)

Heatware

I don't even have to read it. After a subscription to gamepro I am familiar with the crap they put out and call a magazine.
    Hail to the King:
    Opteron 165 w/ DFI Ultra-D w/ BBA 1900XT 512 mb GSkill PC4200 1 GB x 2
    74 gb WD Raptor x 2 Raid 0 MSI (ATI550) Tuner
    w/ Windows XP Media Center Edition & OCZ Powerstream 520
    DD TDX H2O block w/ Maze4 GPA block DD D4 pump
    single 120mm Fan Heater core w/ shroud In Lian-Li fish tank window case

RIP (Rest In Pieces):
    P4 3.0 ghz @ 3.75 ghz Aerocool HT-101 IC7-G
    Radeon 9800 Pro 430 W Antec True Power

Quote Originally Posted by OC Noob
    I don't even have to read it. After a subscription to gamepro I am familiar with the crap they put out and call a magazine.
    Technical articles in mags like that are intended to convey some simple fact to the reader (like the Cell being difficult to program for, which it is) and then they stretch a few reasonably valid points to a several page article. They aren't usually wrong, but they are rarely provide an satisfactory explanation of what they are saying which can be somewhat misleading.
    The Last Gonzo of Scotland.
    Core i7 950 @ 4Ghz, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 6870 CF, Xonar D2X, 12GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Bigfoot 2100, Agility 3 120GB, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Corsair HX1000w, Cambridge Audio A500 and Acoustic Research speakers (Main PC)
    Alienware M11x, C2D SU 7300, Geforce 335M, Corsair Force 40GB (Laptop)
    Opteron 175, DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D, Radeon x850 XT PE, 4GB BH-5, OCZ Petrol 64GB, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 2x TerraTec PHASE 22, Enermax Liberty ELT500, Yamaha A-S300 and Mordaunt Short Aviano speakers (Music PC)
    Pentium D 920, Gigabyte 965P-S3, Geforce 210, 2GB Elpida DDR2, TerraTec PHASE 22, ASUS DVB-T (HTPC)
    Dual P3 866Mhz, Intel 440LX Board, 1.8GB PC133Mhz, 2x Voodoo 2 12MB, Turtle Beach FIJI (Retro Gaming Machine)

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by >HyperlogiK<
    There is quite an interesting article on the challenges posed by programming for the cell here:

http://www.ddj.com/dept/64bit/197801624
    Apparently after reading this, the 22x refers to the Intel Woodcrest which has NOTHING to do with the 360.

Shabby writing. Shame on the editor of Gamepro for allowing this POS to hit the pages.

Quote Originally Posted by FudgeNuggets
    http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?arti...SUIT&ATTR=DIGG

Either I'm reading this wrong, the author doesn't write very well and is making it look like he's saying the 360 uses an Intel chip instead of separating the two or this article is a bunch of BS.

As Phoenix Wright would say: OBJECTION!!!!

Perhaps when saying it is 22Xfaster than the Intel Chip and inferring Intel=360 they're comparing it to the Xbox1?

The Xbox360 uses a tri-core PowerPC chip. The PS3 uses a single core PowerPC cell chip which aside from being 2 cores short of the 360, uses SPEs which are kind of like DSPs(digital signal processors) that are assigned to certain tasks.

This would mean the CORE programming (being the PPC CPU) is the same and the difference is 3 cores vs 1 core and 7 SPEs. I think whoever wrote this article has some facts mixed up.
    Dude, It's GAMEPRO. What the hell are you doing reading GAMEPRO anyway? It's written by 12 year olds FOR 12 year olds. You're a grown man!

It's like me debating with those ten year old over at Gamefaqs.com...
    Core 4 Q9550 @4003mhz 1.30v
    Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 4.6ghz 1.328v (E0 Stepping)
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.8ghz 1.525v
    Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
    OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
    Corsair 750TX PSU
    Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
    BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202

Quote Originally Posted by rainless
    Dude, It's GAMEPRO. What the hell are you doing reading GAMEPRO anyway? It's written by 12 year olds FOR 12 year olds. You're a grown man!

Digg and Gizmodo pointed to it....

The article is comparing the Cell to a Woodcrest as it is one of the fastest normal CPUs, and not everything has to be Xbox vs Playstation. It's rather nice to sometimes see comparisons outside of the norm. Anyway there are other articles out there that say basically the same thing about the speed. (If you program for them properly the SPEs are extremely fast, however to do that requires much more code and is often not practical.)

Sony Response to the article.
    Now, it’s not without challenges:
    1) SPUs are not ‘normal’ processors like the PPU. There is a trade-off between performance and versatility. A Ferrari is not the best car for a visit to Home Depot…
    2) If you are porting:
    If your game starts on Xbox 360 you will have to re-engineer aspects of the game to run properly on PS3. This means additional effort. Some developers have been complaining about this but I don’t believe we can solve that. Xbox 360 is a different machine with good, but lower powered hardware in a different architecture. Developers have to view them as two different machines not as a common platform.
    3) If your game has heavy online use:
    XBL provides more and better standard libraries for online gaming to developers. For the same features on PS3, developers have to do some extra work. We’re catching up, but there is a difference.
    Last edited by tenchi86; 06-14-07 at 03:55 PM.
    "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why." -Bernard Mannes Baruch

Mobo: MSI Neo2-V
    CPU: 2.8a Prescott @ 3.2
    PSU: Blue Storm 500 Watt
    GPU: Geforce 6600GT
    HS: Zalman 7000
    Ram: Kingston HyperX 1024mb 3200

Oni-ni-Kanabō
    Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
    10 Year Badge

Dude, it's GAMEFAQs! What the hell are you doing reading the Gamefaqs forums?! It's written by 13-year-old fanboys FOR 13-year-old fanboys. You're a grown man!

Gamefaqs is good for one thing and one thing only: Walkthroughs. Beyond that, you get dumber if you read it.
    Mama, put my guns in the ground. I can't shoot them anymore.

On Indefinite Hiatus

Asus P6T SE
    Intel i7 930 @ Stock
    12GB Corsair DDR3 9-9-9-24
    XFX Radeon 5830 @ Stock
    Corsair 750 Watt PSU

Debating + Gamefaqs? What are YOU doing over there posting anything intelligent LOL? Gamefaqs aka Gamespot is terrible. But yeah like ONI said it's decent for launch and some info minus posting.
    My Heatware
    i7 920@4Ghz/CM Cosmos 1000
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2/Enermax DXX 1KW
    OCZ Platinum 3x2GB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD x2/WD Green 1TB x3
    Hanns-G 28in/HIS Radeon 6950
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Logitech Z-5500

Quote Originally Posted by >HyperlogiK<
    Technical articles in mags like that are intended to convey some simple fact to the reader (like the Cell being difficult to program for, which it is) and then they stretch a few reasonably valid points to a several page article. They aren't usually wrong, but they are rarely provide an satisfactory explanation of what they are saying which can be somewhat misleading.
    For the most part its all game stuff in the mag and that is suposed to be their specialty, but they are... were terribly biased, but that was a while ago and perhaps they aren't crap anymore.

But I was refering to the poor quality of their gaming info, not the article in question or anything technical.

There are a handful of gaming mags like GamePro and PC Gaming (now Games for Windows that you can get for free or $5 a year, for good reason
    Hail to the King:
    Opteron 165 w/ DFI Ultra-D w/ BBA 1900XT 512 mb GSkill PC4200 1 GB x 2
    74 gb WD Raptor x 2 Raid 0 MSI (ATI550) Tuner
    w/ Windows XP Media Center Edition & OCZ Powerstream 520
    DD TDX H2O block w/ Maze4 GPA block DD D4 pump
    single 120mm Fan Heater core w/ shroud In Lian-Li fish tank window case

RIP (Rest In Pieces):
    P4 3.0 ghz @ 3.75 ghz Aerocool HT-101 IC7-G
    Radeon 9800 Pro 430 W Antec True Power