• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh...windows wont start...again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ha_hA_HA!

When i try to start-up i get an error message saying "the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\System32\Config\System".

It suggests that i can attempt a repair by using the repair feature on the windows install cd, however, I have no idea how to do this....:)

This all started after I disconnected my monitor (it had been working fine); once i reconnected and restarted, it gives me the above message! :(

I'd really like to get my pc working again, any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Put the OS cd in the drive, reboot from the disc, choose the 'repair' option. If it won't boot from the disc, go into the bios, (usually it's hit f8 as you start) Go into 'boot priority' screen and make your optical device the first boot priority. (It ought to be anyway.)

Although most of the time, unplugging the monitor shouldn't be a a big deal, I wouldn't unplug anything unless the system is powered down since you seemed to have a problem. By powered down, I mean off and unplugged. Maybe you had some static discharge or something...?

Thanks for the reply. I do know how to get into the 'repair' area after booting from a cd, but I have no idea what to once i'm in there (it is a command line interface). Any idea what i type in to restore that specific file?

Oh, and the computer was powered down at the time, but not unplugged. It seems like somehow the hard drive was corrupted or damaged.

Ooops. OK, I get it now. Apparently I thought i was smarter than I am. Vista repair is GUI, and it self detects errors and fixes them.

Check out these links on repairing XP:
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/windows/xprepair5.htm

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

You have me curious, I'll check a few things and get back to you.

Edit: OK, looks to me like the command is copy X:Windows\System32\Config\System

With X being the drive name for your CD ROM.

Y'all would be wise to check this information with someone who knows what they're doing, 'cause it ain't me. I'm a little puzzled because that's not a single corrupted dll file. I think that file is a large folder full of windows files. I don't understand how the whole thing could be corrupt. If you get it working again, back up everything Just In Case you've got a bad HD. Sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks, the first link you gave helped me solve my problem! :)

I used the " bootcfg /rebuild" command, let it do it's thing then restarted and now it works! See, you're even smarter than you thought! hehe

Thanks for the help

Back