• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Intel user, going C2D.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icedogg9999

Hey everyone, long time AMD user here. I've finally made the decision to switch over and build a C2D system. I plan to use the system for mostly gaming. The system in my signature is my current build and I'll be using some parts from that machine, notably the power supply. Here's the base parts I've come up with:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
ASUS P5K3 DELUXE
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 5-5-5-9

I'd like to overclock the system slightly, over 3ghz at least. My budget is approximately $1,000-$1,100. Lastly, should I get a new P35 motherboard or the established P965. I look forward to seeing what it's like on the Intel side.

-IceDogg

Everyone seems to be liking the new p35 boards pretty well. I have a p965 board and I can tell you I'll get a new 35 as soon as funds allow. Everything else seems nice although I have no experience with Patriot memory. Everyone seems to be in love with the Ballistix 8000 memory right now.

As for memory, that's where I'm somewhat stuck on. I'm very pleased with my current Patriot ram. Then as I read the "hardcore ddr2 ram" roundup on THG, I noticed they declared Patriot's new offering the top honor. I just want that 3ghz - 3.5ghz overclock without breaking the bank.

dont go as high as the 6600 right now. later this year they are projected to be at around 120$

i would grab a e2140 to hold you over. they are very strong performers as most are overclocking to around 3.2ghz on air. the 2140 because of the 8x divider, 400 fsb matches perfect with it on most of em' :)

also the evga on newegg has a 20-30$ MIR as well Id look into that to save a little bit there :) plus you get outstanding us based support and a lifetime warrantee.

icedogg9999 said:
As for memory, that's where I'm somewhat stuck on. I'm very pleased with my current Patriot ram. Then as I read the "hardcore ddr2 ram" roundup on THG, I noticed they declared Patriot's new offering the top honor. I just want that 3ghz - 3.5ghz overclock without breaking the bank.

the ebst ram for the money has to be the crucial 2 x 1gb sets that are going up every week or so with a huge mail in rebate. I got my pc8500 ballistix micron d9 chips for $89 said and done.

DO NOT GET A PK3

They only take DDR3 memory. Get a P5K deluxe. Considering the fact that you are buying DDR2 I don't think thats what your going for. Right now there is no point in going DDR3, it is just to expensive for what you get. If you want a board that supports both I believe Gigabyte makes one. As far as memory I do not have much experience with Patriot but it seems you cannot go wrong the Ballistix, especially at the price they are at now.

that proposed setup looks nice, but i would get a e6420 over a e6600. they are cheaper, and some claim they clock better. with aircooling, the 8x multi of the e6420 is perfect.

what that article in THG shows is precisely that you are way better off spending an extra $50 or $100 on a better CPU than on better memory. The performance yields from better memory is so small that it is not worth it. As long as they are good enough for the overclock you are aiming for.

This is one of the best bang for the buck set of memory out there right now, and it has some great timings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

BTW I need to include the standard disclaimer.... wait until July 22nd if you can for the new Intel price cuts.

GTengineer said:
what that article in THG shows is precisely that you are way better off spending an extra $50 or $100 on a better CPU than on better memory. The performance yields from better memory is so small that it is not worth it. As long as they are good enough for the overclock you are aiming for.

This is one of the best bang for the buck set of memory out there right now, and it has some great timings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

BTW I need to include the standard disclaimer.... wait until July 22nd if you can for the new Intel price cuts.
Agreed. That ram will let you oc to 3800mhz with an E640 (if it'll go that high)
at stock voltage 475mhz(ddr2-950) 4-4-3-5 timings. At least thats what mine does and I seem to have gotten a weak set too.

ou_phidelt said:
DO NOT GET A PK3

They only take DDR3 memory. Get a P5K deluxe. Considering the fact that you are buying DDR2 I don't think thats what your going for.

The new P35 boards support both DDR 2 & 3. Being as they just came out I'd rather pick the new Asus board up. As for the ram, I'm liking the G.Skill and Ballistic you mentioned. I believe the Crucial $90 deal just expired.

Just a double-check, you guys think my power supply should be enough to handle my new system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104934

It's been rock solid with my current build, even up to 2.4ghz.

IMHO that review on THG wasnt particularly relevant. They were using a 680 mobo and I can only assume that they left fsb stock and just raised the memory frequency. The best and worst offerings scored with like 4% of each other in memory bandwidth. When ocing my rig I notice closer to a 15% from stock to my best overclocks, and I'm not using nearly as nifty parts as they are. 7307mb/s read speed from ddr2-1244? I can hit that at 800mhz all day long. At 1000mhz my gskill craps all over everything on their spread. I guess my point is is that they are testing ram in a scenario that would never happen in the real world.:
"Why yes I just paid $400+ dollars for my highly overclockable ram. The rest of the system you ask? No, I'm leaving it all completely stock."

Last edited:
CrazyIrish said:
IMHO that review on THG wasnt particularly relevant. They were using a 680 mobo and I can only assume that they left fsb stock and just raised the memory frequency. The best and worst offerings scored with like 4% of each other in memory bandwidth. When ocing my rig I notice closer to a 15% from stock to my best overclocks, and I'm not using nearly as nifty parts as they are. 7307mb/s read speed from ddr2-1244? I can hit that at 800mhz all day long. At 1000mhz my gskill craps all over everything on their spread. I guess my point is is that they are testing ram in a scenario that would never happen in the real world.:
"Why yes I just paid $400+ dollars for my highly overclockable ram. The rest of the system you ask? No, I'm leaving it all completely stock."

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1962&articID=472

it is not just that THG article, plus some personal tests I have run myself regarding scientific computing.

icedogg9999 said:
The new P35 boards support both DDR 2 & 3. Being as they just came out I'd rather pick the new Asus board up. As for the ram, I'm liking the G.Skill and Ballistic you mentioned. I believe the Crucial $90 deal just expired.

Just a double-check, you guys think my power supply should be enough to handle my new system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104934

It's been rock solid with my current build, even up to 2.4ghz.

you are right about the P35 supporting both ddr2 and ddr3, but Asus has two versions of the Pk mobos. One that takes DDR2, and one that takes DDR3. This is an issue with the physical slots, not the chipset. DDR3 mem will not fit DDR2 slots and vice-versa. That is what ou_phidelt is concerned about.

The setup will be nice but like stated above a e6420 would save some Money as you will prob want to drop the multi on the e6600 , to get the most out of your ram .

Back