• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Log - FushZero Deuce - Case and Cooling System Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Progress Update:
Last Updated on: 06-27-07 23:09 PM

HDD Cage (Cont) - I then turned my attention to the actual HDD rack. I first removed the fan and hardware and marked up a rough idea of the cuts. First removing the fan bracket, then some excess material at the sides. Then I lopped the top off as I will only need room for two disks in the computer. I separated the parts by taking out the pop rivets (one was loose anyways). I will reattached them after paint. After some further cuts and finishing sanding I have three pieces for the HDD rack, which we will revisit later.

Progress Update:
Last Updated on: 06-27-07 23:30 PM

Optical Bay - If you were paying attention you may have noticed I snuck in the Lian-Li optical bay cover in one of the above pictures. It would have been a no brainer but for some reason theres some clearance issues with the LED's on the front. So I quickly mucked it up, and nipped off the corner for clearance.

Nip and Tuck - I like to trim the fat off all my cases. For me, I sure as hell don't need 9 working drive bays. I need two at the top (optical, and HDD rack, option for 2nd optical) and one at the bottom as a just-in-case and a place to mount a Radiator bracket later on.

So I start by masking off the area, to prevent scratches, help with marking and give some fudge-factor to the cutting process. Cutting this thick aluminum takes some patience, these new Dremels with undersized motors also need to cool down now and then. So I keep a fan handy between 10 minute sessions. I like to score the cuts first and then with a decent groove, just lightly go back and forth until it's deep enough to complete with plunging cuts.

Continued in the next post...

Progress Update:
Last Updated on: 06-27-07 23:42 PM

Nip and Tuck (Cont) - After several nights of cutting, mild grinding and plenty of finishing sanding here is the final product. You can't start to get and idea of the theme lines and shapes of Deuce.

Some Parts Came In - Mind you I'm not much for planning. So I kind of do things on the fly. No offense to those who CAD their whole case first, more power to you. That's just not me. But my next couple of updates may take a bit of time as they weigh heavily on the look of the case: side panels, mobo-tray and the top of the case. So I will need to make a few sketches before I lock myself into a design.

I did get in some stock aluminum from McMaster. I will be using it for some additional ventilation on the sides and top. I think it matched up quite well with the stock Lian-Li pattern. Should end up looking nice.

Last edited:
Progress Update:
Last Updated on: 07-03-07 22:58 PM

Motherboard Tray - This is one of my favorite case mods, and although some people cutout sections of their tray, I don't see too many that skeletonize them completely. It seems to help much with airflow around the board, and it just plain looks cool.

I first start by taping off the tray. Then after going through a lot of scratch paper I sketch out my rough design. Trying to include just the mounting holes I need, and none I don't. Again, trim the fat. When I cut, I start just with the long straight cuts. This help keeps some rigidity in the piece while I'm cutting by hand. They're also the easier cuts.

If you every wondered how to cut tight corners like these with a dremel. Here's my method. I first score the corner as deep as I can go without going past my marks. I then back away from the corner by about a 1/4" and cut completely through. Then when I'm done with my other cuts, I just come back and bend the hanging corner until it breaks off.

Last edited:
Progress Update:
Last Updated on: 07-03-07 23:05 PM

Motherboard Tray (Cont) - I then continue along finishing all of the cuts in the same way. Following the same tight corner method listed above. Let me tell you, a good layer of tape is a lifesaver when cutting up a piece like this with a dremel. Once the cutting was finished I went through some finishing sanding using 100, 320 and 400 grit sandpaper. I also use a tapered metal file to get semi-sharp inner corners. It's hard to keep them sharp in this soft aluminum, but I do my best.

Last edited:
Progress Update:
Last Updated on: 07-03-07 23:06 PM

Motherboard Tray (Cont) - After removing the tape and a good hand washing here's the final results. I think it came out great. You can see in several of the pictures how I tried to keep the outer tray cuts flowing with the front of the case where I cut the cages out.

It's starting to look like something now, and the good parts are comming up. I've still got a ways to go before I finalize my sketches for the top and side panels, but it won't be too long.

Let me know what you think so far.

Last edited:
Misc Update:
Last Updated on: 07-03-07 23:23 PM

Parts Came In - A big thanks goes out to Nick (Member: OcX) for a great deal on a 1Gb kit of GSkill PC4400 LE 0437 TCCD. This stuff is gonna get overclocked to hell coupled with the LCB9E Opteron 170. Among other things I also got in the BlackIce GTX 240. This is one beautiful radiator, the fin density is nuts and should be a massive step up fro the BIX120 I'm currently using. This thing is almost as formidable as the WeaponCore I used to have, just in a sleek pint-seize package.

Misc Update:
Last Updated on: 07-07-07 14:36 PM

Parts Ordered - I just picked up another eVGA 7900GT. So this will be a SLI box. I'm planning on converting my softmod on my current card to a hardmod of the vGPU and vMEM for both cards. Get them both humming in tune.

On another note, have any of you had just a TV-out go on a video card? I have a 12ft length of video cable running to my TV and during a short lightning storm I was getting some feedback on the TV signal. After a nice big lightning bolt the TV went blank. Apparently the cable had a break in the insulation on one end. I think I may have gotten feedback through to the TV out side of the video card, it wont display a thing anymore.

Watercooling Setup - I've been trying to decide whether or not to run a second DDC1 for a higher flow rate in this loop. I will be running CPU->GPU1->GPU2 in series through 3/8" tubing. Blocks will be nozzle #4 (more restrictive) on a DD-RBX and two Polar Flo TT's.

I'm not worried about head pressure, as it is fantastic on these DDC1's. I've always been a low-flow old timer, and the second DDC1 is a decent size investment. I'm also going to use a Petra's Tech Top, so that adds another $30 to each pump.

I'm drawing out the mounting bracket for the DDC1 today. Maybe I should just design the bracket to mount a second later down the road and run them in series.

Misc Update:
Last Updated on: 07-07-07 22:19 PM

Update Soon - Should have a decent update in the next few days. I've been working on the case most of the day. Here's a teaser shot from what I just finished cutting a few minutes ago. Don't ask how I dremel'd some of the small angles and corners. I pretty much black out, and then come-to when it's over.

Messures?

Hi there! nice work so far!

Could you please give me the measures from that Aluminum peace at the lower stack of 5 1/4'' bays to the case floor?

Btw, why don't you cut it of? since it is so close to the floor, and just under it both 5 1/4'' pillars are riveted already, I don't think it gives the case any structural strenght.

AND!, after you finish all the Alu cutting, would you mind to take Its weight to see how much lighter it gets?

Keep the nice work!

Attachments

• pontouts.jpg
    pontouts.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 177
Back