• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor 320GB SATAII 16MB-$59.99 [ATTN: g0dM@n! haha]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chubchubcullen

The deals back! possibly Seagate 7200.10 perps in maxtor box. ATTENTION: g0dM@n! i know you wanted to pick up 3 of these last time. I hope these are the perps like they were the first time.. tempted to pick up another one.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4987891

well the one i picked up last time is definitely quieter than my seagate 80gb 7200.7. however i only formatted it and ran hd tach and hd tune on it.. have yet to install and run stuff off it so who knows.

As mentioned by the OP, sometimes (oftentimes?) the maxtor's that are labeled "20 gigs free" are rebadged Seagate 7200.10 drives, as they were the last time around. This has also been partly verified by people over at slickdeals and the [H] forums. There is a chance they would be rebadged Seagate 7200.9 drives, which still probably has a better reputation than the old Maxtors (before seagate bought maxtor that is). Can't remember if anybody got 7200.9's the last time around, just vaguely remember reading something about it.

Great deal either way though, especially since they're extremely likely to be some sort of seagate drive.

Last edited:
we had a thread on this before and someone got a logic board exactly like the 7200.10 heck it even said seagate on one of the chips.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUTTING ATTENTION g0dM@n!!!

I JUST PICKED UP 3!!!! HELL YES!!!

And I was checking outpost EVERY SINGLE DAY... It was showing $109.99 all the time, and I even checked earlier this afternoon and it was $109.99!!

So funny!!

I bought 3, but thinking about buying another 2 and upgrading my server's raid1 160gb to raid1 320gb... so that my bros can use it as backup.

My plan with these is to replace my raptors and run matrix raid0 and raid5... yeah my raptors are good, but maybe 3 of these in raid0 matrix will perform just as good as my 2x 74gb raptors

omniskillz said:
would these be good in raid? what are the benefits of raid in gaming?

You could do raid. Raid gives speed increases. $120 Raid 0 might not be worth it. These are 7200RPM drives, not 10K raptors or anything too special. I have noticed that raid 0 performance boosts aren't very noticable by gamers. For benchmarking i've heard it can be very noticable. Most of the time people notice they might boot faster.

eaglescouter said:
The reviews at newegg indicate that these drives are loud.

Any owners care to comment?
Most Newegg comments are bad. Maybe the guy didnt mount his drives right? I have the SATA and IDE flavor of this drive. They are no way louder than your average drive.

I still wonder how these will perform against my 2x74gb raptors.

I know this sound crazy, but I've my raptors on a 30gb raid0 16k slice on my matrix raid, and then the rest ~130gb raid0 128k stripe.

For some reason... it doesn't boot up to my LOGIN screen too fast... but once I get to login screen, THEN it loads windows fairly fast.

For as long as I can remember, the WINDOWS LOADING screen doesn't go that fast with my raid0 raptors. My 320gb hitachi t7k500 250gb hard drive in my other rig loads the WINDOWS LOADING screen faster.

I'm heading to the store in about 30 minutes to see if they have any left. Usually they have a mountain of these laying around. I planned on building my new rig tonight but it looks like my MB didn't ship until today so it isn't supposed to be here until Monday. I'm not happy about that.

LilBuddy said:
I'm heading to the store in about 30 minutes to see if they have any left. Usually they have a mountain of these laying around. I planned on building my new rig tonight but it looks like my MB didn't ship until today so it isn't supposed to be here until Monday. I'm not happy about that.

:( The store is like 50 miles away from me...

And the store has like 50 of them. Just grabbed one.

I can't stand how the prices in the newspaper are good on the website but the prices on the website aren't good in the store.

I'm debating on taking mine back. I can't decide if I want to keep my current rig as is and just build a completely new rig using this HD. I think I'm already going to keep using my Antec case and just wait for a FAR case.

All gone it seems. Too bad, great deal. I got two of these drives for $99 around christmas. That too was a great deal.

I got one of these yesterday. Great deal IMO i love having a frys just minutes from my house. they were 59.99 in store. Not sure what the other person was talking about when he said price difference online then instore. Nice drive not too loud if you ask me.

Back