• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

###CRASHED### the system file is gone and I can't get into XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

el

Well I kept saying how great it is and I don't know if it is hardware or software. Maybe even a little user error. but plan nad simple I can't get her to boot at all. last know good doesn't work. repair console won't help cuz I can't seem to use the repair util. any advice would be great. thanks.

can u get a prompt from the Recovery console, cause im think ing if u can u can try like Fixboot, Fixmbr, or some of that stuff, but without an ERD, and if you cant get, to the command line/RC I would think your, choices would be to try to repair reinstall/or reinstall. but first i would guess that you know enough to look at what you did last, cause messing up your regestry, paging, or services could hang your boot, but you need to get into the RC to fix anything, that I know of

yeah I did that booted with teh cd and "R" to the console and I was checking things out. I hacked the reg a little bit but I think it is just getting huge for some reason and all I want to do is get it back the the default registry. when I try chkdsk it says unrecovable error on the disk adn defiantly it is the system file so I guess I need to reinstall any other ideas. I think it maybe a hardware issue but the HD checks out. My machine was running 2000 server but was too hard to keep it running a finally it died and I wasn't backing stuff up. today before this I was goign to back up some of the important data and wham its the one file I need.

edit tried chkdsk /r and now the disk is okay but I still can't find a back up of the system file anybody know?

Last edited:
Back