• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD to introduce 45nm process AM3 CPU family in 2H08

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

Digitimes said:
AMD schedules to launch its 45nm process socket AM3 family processors in the second half of 2008. The processors will support HyperTransport 3.0 and will have a built-in DDR2/DDR3 memory controller. The processors will be backward compatible with the previous AM2 and AM2+ socket motherboards, according to sources at motherboard makers.

AMD's AM3 family will include the quad-core Deneb and DenebFX, dual-core Propus and Regor, and single-core Sargas. Shipments of 45nm products are predicted to surpass those of 65nm products within half a year from launch, noted the sources.

Although Socket AM3 processors will be backwards compatible with previous socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards, socket AM3 motherboards will not be able to support the previous socket AM2 and AM2+ processors. Therefore shipment volumes of socket AM3 motherboards will depend on the speed of transition to DDR3 memory, added the sources.
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070623PD215.html

so, those with AM2 will be happy to know they will be able to use that board for years to come, of course, you'll have to live without HT3.0, DDR3, split power planes, PCIe2.0, and whatever other marvels they add to the chipsets..... pretty much the same as AM2 to AM2+, but the upgrade supuriority of AMD is all but sealed (at least, that's my take on it)

now let's see how that 2H08 timeframe holds up.... and i guess it's safe to say that AMD will leave LGA for servers only...

I wonder how many people will stay AM2 when all these parts are out and due to the fact of what AM3 will support as new features. I mean if the performance gain is there people are going to buy new hardware altogether.

I'll be still happy with my 939 rig I aint upgrading yet I've only just built it.

I'll be happy if my ecs XFire still supports an AM3, for a little while!
The 45nm chips should have the IBM transistor tech that will improve cache and the possible return of 1ML2 P/C and 2M L3 :drool:
Thermal envelopes should be in the 35-45 watt norm.
32Gig of ram will be normal on most boards, not sure if we will be putting in that much.
I don't expect we'll see an OCTOron until 32nm :drool:

AlabamaCajun said:
I'll be happy if my ecs XFire still supports an AM3, for a little while!
The 45nm chips should have the IBM transistor tech that will improve cache and the possible return of 1ML2 P/C and 2M L3 :drool:
Thermal envelopes should be in the 35-45 watt norm.
32Gig of ram will be normal on most boards, not sure if we will be putting in that much.
I don't expect we'll see an OCTOron until 32nm :drool:

I knew you'd be happy, Cajun :).

AngelfireUk83 said:
I'll be still happy with my 939 rig I aint upgrading yet I've only just built it.

Word. I'm not being a smarta$$, but what is the performance difference between 939 vs AM2, setting aside obsolescence? Is it mostly DDR2?

Does the extra bandwidth really enable better performance or is it mostly theoretical? For what applications is this increased bandwidth better?

Last edited:
the big thing with am2 is the new revision f3 silicon....dualcores are denoted as CZBOX and they clock like the dickens. 3.2ghz+ with low voltage. and ddr2 does help with certain things, the bandwidth can be unreal and they clock memory alot better then other platforms do.

Cheator said:
I knew you'd be happy, Cajun :).
Oh yea, thanks
boingboom.gif

Back