• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funny NEWEGG reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

Seen a review by a regular comedian on newegg? Or something about a product so terrible its funny? Someone just word their Pros and Cons in a strange way?

This one on a powmax powersupply is one of my alltime favorites

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817163033
Pros: The metal in here you can scrap for nickels and dimes.... Also great heavy weapon. Helped me rob corner shop.

Cons: Powmax stands for the sound it makes when you plug it in. POW!!!

and another one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182001

Pros: i have no pros. this thing sucks

Cons: The power supply bursted into flame within the first 10 minutes of use. I smelled a horible smell and wooosh, it cought fire and melted the top of my case and fried my cpu. DONT BUY

Other Thoughts: i used this supply as a temporary replacement on a customer pc. (i build gaming pc's). The supply worked for all of 8 minutes. The thing burned up my customers pc all together. PAY SOME EXTRA CASH FOR A SUPPLY THAT WONT BLOW UP!.

Last edited:
The bottom one I have a feeling the guy is going too far when the power supply probably just smoked and quit and not catching on fire thats hard to believe.

yeah in order for it to melt anything the guy would have to have left it plugged in long after it started to burn.

the reviews are for 2 different powersupplies. the first is a powmax and the second is a $12 Rosewill. I put the links in the original post.

Another Powmax

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817163032
Pros: It's shinny, my hamster probably liked the color of it. I could throw it 400 feet into the air it weighs like 1 ounce.

Cons: Broke after 2 minutes. Blew up in my case. I'm pretty sure my hamster produces more power running on its wheel than this bad boy. Complete piece of junk.

Other Thoughts: I called up the company to tell them to test their products before putting them out. I believe this thing could have killed me

Pros: It fit the case.

Cons: Just got 8 more to replace burnt out ones. 1st one lasted 30mins, 2nd one thru sparks when powered on, none of the other 6 lasted more than 4 hours most 2hrs. Of the 30 Powmax micro cases we have, I've had to replace the power supplies close to a 100 times!

These are the strangest. If you've already had a bad experience not once...but twice, why would you continue to keep buying the same cheap crap and endanger the rest of your hardware?

Last edited:
Yeah doing a refund is the same thing as doing a replacment RMA except when they get it they check it and put the money back onto your credit card and its done.

:( you missed the best powmax review of all time:

Review title: best power supply ever

Pros: This power supply owns your fase off. Every once in a while it shoots flames out the back grill. The first time my friends saw it happen they were like, "whoa you rule!" One time I was at a LAN party and totally owning fools playing CSS. I got a rad headshot and this PSU started smoking and i was like this is satans power supply! at that point i knew i was in love with it. I tested the 12v line and it was putting out 15V, how sweet is that??? thats like 3 extra volts of pure power, which is I'm sure is totaly upping my megahurts. Oh yeah and at least once a day this thing will make rad noise like an electric guitar wailing. If your hardcore, this PSU is for you.

Cons: None at all. this thing weighs only like 1/2 pound so your LAN rig is way easy to carry. I cant even believe how sweet this thing is.

Other Thoughts: This power supply is for true hardcore overclockers! if you had problems with it before its only because you dont even know what you are doing!!!!

SteveLord/Mathersalan: Because doing a refund with NewEgg they'll charge you 15% for "restocking". IMHO they really shouldn't be restocking broken merchandise... and it takes 15 minutes arguing on the phone to get them to waive the restocking fee.

SteveLord said:
These are the strangest. If you've already had a bad experience not once...but twice, why would you continue to keep buying the same cheap crap and endanger the rest of your hardware?

I assume that he works at a store and had to rma a lot of em and the ones he got back did just as bad as the first batch.

BossBorot said:

Pros: This power supply owns your fase off. Every once in a while it shoots flames out the back grill. The first time my friends saw it happen they were like, "whoa you rule!" One time I was at a LAN party and totally owning fools playing CSS. I got a rad headshot and this PSU started smoking and i was like this is satans power supply! at that point i knew i was in love with it. I tested the 12v line and it was putting out 15V, how sweet is that??? thats like 3 extra volts of pure power, which is I'm sure is totaly upping my megahurts. Oh yeah and at least once a day this thing will make rad noise like an electric guitar wailing. If your hardcore, this PSU is for you.

Cons: None at all. this thing weighs only like 1/2 pound so your LAN rig is way easy to carry. I cant even believe how sweet this thing is.

Other Thoughts: This power supply is for true hardcore overclockers! if you had problems with it before its only because you dont even know what you are doing!!!!

OMG!:eek: That is a riot! Was the person serious?

i saw this on newegg somewhere on the ati reviews and a guy said

Pros: Plays games extremely well and there is nothing bad about it
Cons: It doesnt support sli which i thought was required on all new video cards
Other Thoughts: If you want sli dont buy this card as it does not support it

BossBorot said:

Wow I'd love for this guy to be my friend..

I need to copy powmax and make a PSU company. Only instead of faulty 500 WATT units I plan to sell 15 MEGAWATT units made entirely out of scrap aluminum, airplane glue, and pinecone parts. I plan to base my factory in China to avoid certain prosecution.

Pros: Fits many cases/setups (because the fan is inside).

Cons: Burned out after only two months (while the computer was turned OFF ?!). Some components carbonized completely. Really noisy for the power it delivers and on top of that it doesn't even run cool. It doesn't have all the screwholes necessary for matx psu compatibility, I had to drill a hole in my Ahanix D5 case to make this thing attach properly.

Other Thoughts: I don't think this PSU has a fuse at all (it shouldn't even be allowed to sell) or any protection circuitry whatsoever.

--------------

Pros: EVEN For Free this is a bad deal!
Cons: took longer to install than it lasted
Other Thoughts: if this is all you can buy you should stop using a pc or you could just jump off a bridge

Q: How can a company that doesn't care about its customers stay in business? Preying on the weak, apparently.

More Powmax hatred:

Pros: Looks good, but so does Jessica Simpson and you see how well she works.

Cons: Blew out after 1 day of use. This was an improvement over the first time I had this product but still not much.

Other Thoughts: I had RMA'd the first unit I recieved after it subsequently blew out after installation. The second unit just proved to me that this is a real piece of cr ap.

I almost want a few of these powmaxes just to ses them explode but dont want to risk even old hardware :(

Peepaw said:
I can't believe there are guys out there buying these $25 power supplies.

ive bought $29 ones before. Ive never had a single problem with either of the 2. That is before i started to overclock and become real big computer enthuastist. Though my most recent one was around 60-70$ and it works flawlessly and I overclock pretty decently too.

Next build i may look into something more long term potential though

Back