• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows says i have one core??? PD945

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

I OCed my cpu to 4250Mhz from 3400Mhz and its perfectly orthos stable but windows tels me i only have one core....WTF!!! help...plz...anyone

Sam__ said:
I OCed my cpu to 4250Mhz from 3400Mhz and its perfectly orthos stable but windows only tels me i have one core....WTF!!! help...plz...anyone
Is it disabled in the BIOS? :beer:

what....the second core??? the bios says i have two so it must be a preoblem with the OC or windows.
I am at defaults atm and it still says i have one core...grrrrr

It seems to be using both fine though as i can run folding and games at the same time without any fps loss.

where does it say one core? in the task manager?

if you load up orthos, does it load 2 instances on its own?

its says one core in task man and cpuz...orthos loads one instance.

i have the latest bioos and its saying i have 2cores in there anyway...i think it was sumthin to do with my OCing.....btw will ram limit how far i can push the cpu....cos i habe my ram at ~780mhz and i cant get it any further and the cpu seems to be stuck at 4.25Ghz....if i get some DDr800 and oc them will i get any more out of the cpu? cos i kno people have got it too 4.8 on air.

you could try giving the ram more voltage or relaxing the timings to go higher. it should be able to do ddr2-800 speeds although its not a given.

it wont POST if i give it 2 volts....its cheapo stuff....the timings i left on auto and are 5-6-6-18 which are prety damn loose lol....i recon iv hit the limit with the ram....its just a question of if i get new ram can i go further with the cpu?

back to the original Q...will doing a windows repair help?

if you've maxed out your memory, the only way to know if your cpu will go higher is to get some memory that can keep up. unless your mobo allows downward ram dividers.

you could try a windows repair, it couldn't hurt.

ok....ill try a windows repair l8er and post the results.

so some new ram.....damn i wish i lived in the US its so cheap over there.

Sam__ said:
ok....ill try a windows repair l8er and post the results.

so some new ram.....damn i wish i lived in the US its so cheap over there.

And £60 for 2gb is not? go to overclocker.co.uk

Did it ever show that you had two cores? Windows should automatically detect the number of cores that you have. I know when I installed my first dual core it booted into my old window environment just fine and it saw both cores.

yeah its shown 2cores up intil about ...ermm....yesterdy afternoon

£60...not too bad i mite have a brouse

Wow that is funky!

In the Device MGR:

Does it say "ACPI Mutliprocessor PC" under "Computer"?

Does it show 2 CPU's under "Processor"?

I'm trying to determine if your HAL's currupted.

IIRC, ACPI Uniprocessor will allow a "Plug and Play" update from single to multicore, while "standard PC" will not. But I just always force "Multiprocesor" by having my BIOS enabled for more than one core, and always using an HT'd or dual core CPU on OS install.

That is a weird problem, but I've seen some pretty funky stuff happen during unstable OC's, so I suppose it's possible. I'd suspect it's HAL related.

BTW, did you attempt to go back to a previous RP?

RP's saved my a** more than once! I swear by them! ;)

Good Luck

~ Strat ~

in the device manager its says ACPI Mutliprocessor PC and shows both cores seperately so im a bit confused lol. windows has found and uses both cores but it dusnt tell task manager or cpuz...how many other progs dusnt it tell lol??...

the OC was orthos stable tho....im even more confused..

whats an RP?? am i just being stupid cos i feel i should kno what it is....lol..

and whats a HAL?.....dw i just google defined it and got "Hardware Abstraction Layer. This is the code that produces the interface between the hardware and any software using it; for example, a graphics adapter, and an API." kinda get what it means.

thanks for the ideas Stratcat

You don't by any chance have this selected?

taskmanageronegraph.jpg

Sam__ said:
whats an RP?? am i just being stupid cos i feel i should kno what it is....lol..
Sorry...Restore Point!

But honestly, check out thideras idea.

If the Device MGR's displaying "ACPI Mutliprocessor PC", and more importantly, it shows 2 CPU's under "Processor", than your good to go!

Make sure the Device MGr shows 2 CPUs.

If so, I'd bet you don't have the Task MGR set up right, as thideras suggested you check. Hey, "Pilot Error" can happen!

~ Strat ~

I wish thideras was righ but sadly not.

i think ill just leave it as it seems to be using both of the cores just not showing them in certain progs.

restor points.....i knew i should have made one of them b4 i started ocing lol....i always forget to make them so no i dont have any to fall back on.

Back