• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oversized Powerpoint Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I was sent a Powerpoint Presentation that is 1.37 gigs and I am not able to open it due to its tremendous size. Does anyone know how you might either extract all the pictures from this presentation or how you can chop it into smaller, more usable pieces?

Quick Idea. I would try initially.

Have you tried OpenOffice to see if it manages to open the presentation?

Or place it on a localhost apache server and see if the website loads the ppt sequentially through a web browser.

OpenOffice was the first thing I tried, I don't have a copy of Microsoft Office to try it with.

Well, I've never tried this, but Gmail lets you view powerpoints as slide shows... if you have the patience to upload it there.

Honestly, I would be amazed if it didn't have some kind of video. That's a massive file. Is it attempting to download it and just taking too long? Or is it not downloading it at all? I don't have Microsoft Office installed, but perhaps someone who does could volunteer to attempt to open it just to see if it's an OpenOffice problem.

Not me, I use OpenOffice too. :D

JoT, is your OpenOffice the latest version? Maybe updating it could help.
(2.2.1 is the latest version at the time of this post)

wow oh wow. I didn't realsie there was so amny open office users here! Open Office for the win!

1.4 gigs is just a huge file no matter what.

What happens when you try to open it? Do you get an error message or does your pc become nonresponisve? If the second make sure you have plenty of swap, let it run for a bit, and see if it works. Also, you could manually split it if you figure out the structure of the open office files.

If you get it in a ppp and host it on a relatively fast site I could convert it to pdf for you.

The easiest way to share the powerpoint, if you don't know how to host it yourself, would probably be to upload it to a site like Gigasize and post the link it gives you.

It's a file loaded down with pictures for my company, sent to me on DVD. What possessed them to put it in a powerpoint presentation, I will never know.

To answer the questions, yes, I've got the latest version of OpenOffice, and the file has been attempted to be opened on both a Mac and a PC with the same results of total application hanging.

I finally got onto a PC with Office on it and loaded the file. It took 20 minutes for it to open, and it's rendered the computer nearly useless while the file is open: 582 slides. Now the task is to go through and save each picture individually -_-

Back