• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K Premium, first look.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UglyChild

Pictures and few details have been revealed of the upcoming new mobo.

When compared to the P5K Deluxe, it looks like there are some subtle changes. The CPU voltage regulation has been re-worked, for example.

p5K-Premium-22.jpg

p5K-Premium-27-1.jpg

p5K-Premium-31.jpg

p5K-Premium-36.jpg

They could have at least moved the sata slots down so you could access them without removing your 8800 card. And like Peepaw I dont see the wireless card in that mb shot, I know the box says wireless. Why does Asus have to have 10 different flavors of the same motherboard?

mgoode said:
They could have at least moved the sata slots down so you could access them without removing your 8800 card. And like Peepaw I dont see the wireless card in that mb shot, I know the box says wireless. Why does Asus have to have 10 different flavors of the same motherboard?

I just wish they would come out with a plain P5k deluxe.
I like the maze of cables in my room.:)

looks like they added caps around the heatpipe bend, and the 8 pin connector area has some changes as well, above the memory it looks like they added an extra mosfet as well, wonder if the voltage options are gonna change, it looks to be a completely different pcb, same basic layout but the extra caps and all aren't in the p5k deluxe's pcb from what I can see

Last edited:
mgoode said:

I agree. As solid as ASUS's mobos have been in all regards for a while now - features, support, oc'ing - the layout for the P5Ks is a step down from the P5B imo. The slot layout is less than ideal, if PCIe 1x add-on cards were common it would be ok but I always look for at least 2 useful PCI slots for a sound card and TV tuner. On the P5K to use a single double-wide graphics card and 2 PCI cards one of the PCI will be right up against the graphics card and that's less than ideal for airflow, especially on 8800s which have some of the hot air output going down and not out the back. Two double-wide graphics card and you're down to one PCI sandwiched between them. They ought to make the 'its a given' blocked slots be the PCIe 1x. The SATA port positioning is just plain poor as well. I've been looking at other P35 mobos for this reason :( the Abit IP35 has a much better slot layout.

The only reason that I said anything about wifi, is the picture in the first post didn't show it. All pics I've ever seen of the deluxe wifi shows it installed on the board.:)

toddm27 said:
looks like they changed to all solid caps on the premium for 1, also has some added caps around the heatpipe bend, and the 8 pin connector area has some changes as well, above the memory it looks like they added an extra mosfet as well, wonder if the voltage options are gonna change, it looks to be a completely different pcb, same basic layout but the extra caps and all aren't in the p5k deluxe's pcb from what I can see

I thought the p5k deluxe has all solid caps as well:confused:
It does appear that the PWm has changed though..

on second look of the pic I had, they are, don't know what i was thinking earlier:shrug:they're just different colors, guess it's time for another :beer:

This board and the P5K-D are pretty much the same, at least for me. I dont think they need to release another flavor, it just makes the buyers more confused. Unless the other one's not making enough sales.

But I do love the sound of that "King of Overclocking" that's written on the box :beer:

I can see they add more caps: one behind the floppy connector, a second to the left of the NB heastsink, a second to the right of the SB heatsink, two in between the first and second PCI slots and although unclear, one behind the digital output connector. All these caps have drilled holes ready on the P5K Deluxe but left unoccupied. Since these caps are added, I believe they are for stability purpose, so the Premium may run more stable.

Peepaw said:
The only reason that I said anything about wifi, is the picture in the first post didn't show it. All pics I've ever seen of the deluxe wifi shows it installed on the board.:)

ditto!!

There will be a P5K Extreme as well, with watter block on it. Both coupled with Intel's P35 and ICH9R chipsets.

DDR3 Edition "Blitz Extreme"
DDR2 Edition "Blitz Formula"

Extreme

2.jpg

Formula

3.jpg

14.jpg

10.jpg

lol 'crazy'

Those last two are interesting, I read that the extra chip under the heatsink you can see attached to the Southbridge is a PCIe bridge of some sort. It makes the graphics slots into dual 8x and makes crossfire work better in other ways I believe. At least they got the SATA connectors right :rolleyes: the PCIe 16x slot layouts still have shortcomings but maybe it can't be helped with that bridge chip.

Back