• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I apply TOO much AS5 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
I applied a thin line to the CPU like the AS5 website says.

Then I applied the same kind of thin line to the bottom of the TR 120 extreme.

Is this too much ? Can too much hurt?

I twisted the TR 120 a few degrees left and right as it was being mounted to make sure any air pockets were gone and to spread out the AS5 slightly.

I'm not too concerned but just want to make sure I didn't goof up.

TIA!

Morvak said:
I applied a thin line to the CPU like the AS5 website says.

Then I applied the same kind of thin line to the bottom of the TR 120 extreme.

Is this too much ? Can too much hurt?

I twisted the TR 120 a few degrees left and right as it was being mounted to make sure any air pockets were gone and to spread out the AS5 slightly.

I'm not too concerned but just want to make sure I didn't goof up.

TIA!
The instructions there are kind of misleading, if the processor has an IHS, all you need is a dot in the center (about the size of a grain of rice) and when you put the heatsink on it will spread it evenly.

put a grain size amount on the cpu wrap your fingertip with cling film and spread horizontally over the ihs then using a circular motion, spread the as5 all over the ihs until you have an even finish and no writings are visible, you should now be able to see a dull reflection on the surface and you are ready to fit the heatsink.

Oc1Kenube said:
put a grain size amount on the cpu wrap your fingertip with cling film and spread horizontally over the ihs then using a circular motion, spread the as5 all over the ihs until you have an even finish and no writings are visible, you should now be able to see a dull reflection on the surface and you are ready to fit the heatsink.
I have not heard of that method before, thats kind of strange....

so i put too much i guess. what will happen with the way i did it?

let the heatsink do the work for you, it will find the imperfections that the arctic silver is there to help with

For a CPU with a IHS, just a Rice size spot in the middle of the IHS and do not spread. Put the HS on and twist slightly when tightening the HS.

For non IHS, spread a thin, even layer over the core of the CPU.

thideras said:
I have not heard of that method before, thats kind of strange....

That is the "Correct way to apply t.i.m" acording to Custom Pc magazine in this months issue, working good for me atm.

Just use JB Weld. :p

JBWeld.jpg

hmm... Now i'm thinking if I should take mine off, clean it and do the grain thing you guys mentioned....

I just did what AS5 said (well plus I put AS5 on he HS heh)

this will lower my temps eh?

I still can't believe how so little does so much. Thats why I keep putting much lol

yeah i put too much on, goop gathered up on the sides of IHS and HS.

doing the grain method. THANKS!

razorseal said:
hmm... Now i'm thinking if I should take mine off, clean it and do the grain thing you guys mentioned....

I just did what AS5 said (well plus I put AS5 on he HS heh)

this will lower my temps eh?

I still can't believe how so little does so much. Thats why I keep putting much lol
Yup, it should. :thup:

Back