• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My E6420

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobcatDan

Batch 3717A922 pack 5/31/7. Haven't fired it up yet, still building it. I'll update when I see how it does. Anyone know anything about this batch?
Dan

Edit:
Board: P5k vanilla
Ram: Crucial Ballistix ddr2 800
GFX: EVGA 8800 GTS 640

Last edited:
it should do fine be sure to let us know how it goes I havent seen anything on that batch yet.

my E6420

Hey all, just wanted to say this chip is awesome. I haven't started overclocking yet but i have the p5k deluxe with thermal ultra 120 extreme, of course loose mounting, speaking of which i seen a guy mount a washer between teh mounting system and the hs, I didn't lap and found it to be working pretty good, or at least i think. it runs about 18 c stock at idle the other night when i first put it together and lately around 11-15c and as low as 9. Do these temps look right? its in an ac room ?

Last edited:
Blankstar85 said:
Hey all, just wanted to say this chip is awesome. I haven't started overclocking yet but i have the p5k deluxe with thermal ultra 120 extreme, of course loose mounting, speaking of which i seen a guy mount a washer between teh mounting system and the hs, I didn't lap and found it to be working pretty good, or at least i think. it runs about 18 c stock at idle the other night when i first put it together and lately around 11-15c and as low as 9. Do these temps look right? its in an ac room ?

Uhh, well multiply the number by 1.8 and add 32 to get Fahrenheit, and unless you live in a fridge that sounds way too low. 9 c is ~50 f, even 18 c is ~65 f.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Uhh, well multiply the number by 1.8 and add 32 to get Fahrenheit, and unless you live in a fridge that sounds way too low. 9 c is ~50 f, even 18 c is ~65 f.
Dan
He is right that temp does look worng .

But dan we use C here for temp listing

I thought that was a little low its running 18 with the Mobo showing 29 right now i have no idea what ambient is. When i run core temp i get a driver has failed to load. ill try to get it again. but any ideas?
OH sorry i run Vista 64bit

i do know C to F im a pilot, just when it comes to this stuff the standard seems to be C.

Last edited:
yah just got it agian. all it does is keep poping up the driver failed to load window, keeps doing this till i kill it in task manager

My bad, thought I would convert it to put it in known terms, being a physics grad student who teaches lab I tend to dumb things down (when talking to unknowns).

Funny that was brought up in my thread though, because my CPU is currently reading 19 c, when my rad is at 24 c (using a pyrometer). I guess a good amount of these new intel chips have problems with that? I'll get some overclocking updates soon.
Dan

Sorry if i offended you, That wasn't my intention,

I have no clue what these chips are suppose to be running at and i don't have anything to measure room temp with. Just what the asus is reporting to me from the prob program.

any ideas for a temp reporting program? Ill try core temp again. .94 the .95 is giving me too many problems.

nice to see you have around same temp.

This is my first build. I have helped build about 3 other computers just they have been amds and the last was last summer. So different Technology that im dealing with and first time ive used an intel. I do know a good amount about computers. Still learning at the OC part. Any programs that can be suggested to help me along my way? I have orthos

Not at all man, I feel bad for assuming too much.

Anyway, so far I have it at 3112 MHz, but I'm fighting my Mobo the whole way. This Vdroop is KILLING me, have the vcore set at 1.425 V, cpu-z lists it as 1.400 idle 1.352 V load!!!!!! I'll have to do the pencil mod tomorrow...
Dan

Cpuz voltage reading has never been close for me on any MB . invest in a 15$ DMM and use that =)

A little update. Still working with it, haven't spent the time I really need to on it yet. So far I'm at 3216 MHz at 1.416 V. The voltage I'm giving by load voltage, tomorrow I'm going to do the pencil mod and see if that helps the 0.05 V drop from idle to load, that should help the temps and the stability. Temps with the Fuzion are sitting around 40 c load.
Dan

||Console|| said:
Cpuz voltage reading has never been close for me on any MB . invest in a 15$ DMM and use that =)

It's consistent with all the other monitors I've tried. I know it's not as good as a DMM hooked to the board, but I'm really only concerned with relative numbers so I'm not that worried about it.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
A little update. Still working with it, haven't spent the time I really need to on it yet. So far I'm at 3216 MHz at 1.416 V. The voltage I'm giving by load voltage, tomorrow I'm going to do the pencil mod and see if that helps the 0.05 V drop from idle to load, that should help the temps and the stability. Temps with the Fuzion are sitting around 40 c load.
Dan

Ok, I take it back, no so stable. My south bridge runs really hot which I'm going to take care of tomorrow (replace it's sink with an HR-05), so hopefully that will net me some stability, that with the pencil mod I will hopefully have some more luck.
Dan

just an update 6 hours orthos stable at 3.2 with load temp of 40c, at idle its around 27c. asus prob is getting better at reading the true temp. I am using coretemp. Had to press f8 and load with allowing unvarified drivers to load. I have no clue about the bridge's temps. the mobo sits around 28 to 32 c

Blankstar85 said:
just an update 6 hours orthos stable at 3.2 with load temp of 40c, at idle its around 27c. asus prob is getting better at reading the true temp. I am using coretemp. Had to press f8 and load with allowing unvarified drivers to load. I have no clue about the bridge's temps. the mobo sits around 28 to 32 c

What voltage?
Dan

gigabit said:
The southbridge really shouldn't be becausing any instabilitiies because of heat

Yeah I know, more or less a shot in the dark...
Dan

Back