• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon price drop on 22nd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy Moly!!

the x3220 (g0) is in the hot 'n happy bin

from the intel spec sheet

Thermal Specification : 85*C :drool: :drool: :clap:

these babies are going to do some amazing amazing clocks

according to roadmap the price should be at $266 (USD) per 1000- putting it at the same price as the q6600, is what has happened? :confused:

also the X3210 with the lower multiplier (8x 266)
intel spec link

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?ad=fg&pid=17501

$250 (USD) !!

after the B3 get flushed out of the warehouses its gonna be time for me to buy one. for now, i might just lay low and pick up a cheap allendale (10x200mhz ) to get me going

@ stratcat do you have much experience in interchanging the server and desktop cpus - is it as easy as dropping in it? also in general - do you feel like you will be able to push your chip further then early b3's (i mean since the go stepping seems to be just repositioning the specs to be in line with the performance and the new spec is 23*+)

edit : i guess the $266 price was supposed to happen in "Q3'07" (from the previously posted link)

I guess intel must have just updated the x3220 with the G0 stepping cuz it wasn't there a few days ago while the q6600 was.

x3000 xeons are interchangeable with Q retail versions.

I have a bunch of b3 x3210's running on ds3's and a couple of b3 q6600's and a newly arrived q6600 G0.

I cannot imagine Xeons G0's being easier to find than Q6600 G0's. The demand for Xeons has to be lower so the retailers probably sit on the old stepping longer. This is just my guess though.

GTengineer said:
I cannot imagine Xeons G0's being easier to find than Q6600 G0's. The demand for Xeons has to be lower so the retailers probably sit on the old stepping longer. This is just my guess though.

Maybe someone will come along like TankGuys and sell them separately?

Maverick0984 said:
well I imagine if you wait long enough they will eventually all be G0 steps (Xeon and C2Q) but depends how long people are wanting to wait for them. Tankguys does not currently have any socket 775 Xeons on their website.

GTengineer said:
well I imagine if you wait long enough they will eventually all be G0 steps (Xeon and C2Q) but depends how long people are wanting to wait for them. Tankguys does not currently have any socket 775 Xeons on their website.

Ya, and the estimate for G0 Q6600's is August 6th. :(

Maverick0984 said:
Ya, and the estimate for G0 Q6600's is August 6th. :(

Part of me really wants one right now but the other part tells me this frenzy is simply ridiculous. If I can find one before Aug 4 I will go with that one, otherwise I will make my payment to Tankguys before Aug 4. I am more worried about getting a G0 that ends up being a turd.

GTengineer said:
Part of me really wants one right now but the other part tells me this frenzy is simply ridiculous. If I can find one before Aug 4 I will go with that one, otherwise I will make my payment to Tankguys before Aug 4. I am more worried about getting a G0 that ends up being a turd.

Well, I just bought a e6700 before the price drop because I didn't know it was going to happen :(. So I'm looking to buy a Q6600 or maybe even the x3220 and hopefully get some money back by ebaying my now used E6700.

GTengineer said:

but at the same time I'm sure they have a lot smaller inventory of the Xeons as well, and in another guess Intel is more likely to put G0s in Xeons than regular C2Ds. Hmm I'm going to order around the second week of July and getting a Xeon would do for my e-peen what all that spam email claims it does for the non-e one :p

MadMan007 said:
but at the same time I'm sure they have a lot smaller inventory of the Xeons as well, and in another guess Intel is more likely to put G0s in Xeons than regular C2Ds. Hmm I'm going to order around the second week of July and getting a Xeon would do for my e-peen what all that spam email claims it does for the non-e one :p
LOL :clap:

Maverick0984 said:

That would make me happy, it would rock if they could guarentee them around the same time as the Q6600 from tankguys or faster even....... One can only hope.

here is a report on a x3220 (almost guaranteed to be a b3 as it was posted 07/24/2007 05:17 PM:

from the anandtech forum who is referring to an XS thread lol

aigomorla at the anandtech forum said:
Shimmishim said:
No, you should see no performance difference between a B3 and G0 Q6600/X3220.
The only difference is the fact that G0 runs a bit cooler.
There should also be no difference between the Q6600 and X3220. however, i do not believe there has been as significant in price drop for the X3220 compared to the Q6600.
someone else can address the binning question since i am not 100% sure about it.

okey this is how it went according to DDTung, a legend over at XS.

The two chips are identical. But The xeon's used to get Better Bin'd C2D chips when making them. This is not true anymore, so i dont see the need of you guys getting a Xeon over a Q anymore.

My Xeon had a lower start up voltage, which ment it should scale a lot higher in the higher end. The Q had a slightly higher start voltage, which also ment it should overclock slightly worse then the X3220.

My board doesnt like Xeon's for some apparent reason. The 680i had a uber FSB wall at 375FSB-399FSB. Then at 400 it took a rediculous amount of voltage to hold up. Once i dropped in the Q6600, my max voltage went down to about 1.49Vcore on the Q.

The Xeon required 1.51Vcore. Now on the P35 it completely changed. The Xeon3220, is most likely my second best quad. It can go as high as 3.75 dual orthos stable, on the P35, but required voltage at 1.51Vcore to hold it stable there.

If your looking for the better overclocking chip, i would say your best bet is the G0 Q6600. The Xeon's to my last knowledge on XS doesnt overclock as well as they used to anymore. There basically the same draw as a Q6600 in overclocking now.

However i want a Cloverdale :T Wish they made a overclocking 771 board.

If anyone is wondering what my best quad is, its the G0 Q6600 ES.

check out this article comparing the x3220 to the 8 core clovertown x5355

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37821

not to ruin the surprise, but the x3220 wins, lol

note that this guy sounds like a proper tuner, he has that x3220 up to 3.3ghz with some dam tight timings on the ram. this is also not a g0 and so would have a thermal spec of only 62.2* - just imagine the great fields of head room for us to go frolicking though, dancing like manics,er..um.. well you get the picture. the g0 edition is going to be madness

:) :) :clap:

Back