• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon price drop on 22nd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shakir_Akbari said:
here is a report on a x3220 (almost guaranteed to be a b3 as it was posted 07/24/2007 05:17 PM:

from the anandtech forum who is referring to an XS thread lol
comparing a G0 Q6600 to a B3 X3220 is like comparing apples to oranges. the B3 Q6600s and X3220s were practically identical in every way, down to the TDP/power usage (105w) and the thermal specification (62 degrees Celsius). the G0 Q6600 upped the ante on the B3 Q6600, so of course it would be an improvement over the B3 X3220 as well, which = a B3 Q6600.

NOW, the real question is, how would a G0 Q6600 scale up against a G0 X3220. Since you're comparing apples to apples in this case, it's a 95w vs. 105w, and 71 deg. thermal spec vs. 85 deg. (!!). I'd be surprised as hell if the new G0 X3220s don't overclock significantly better than the current G0 Q6600s.

shirker said:
comparing a G0 Q6600 to a B3 X3220 is like comparing apples to oranges. the B3 Q6600s and X3220s were practically identical in every way, down to the TDP/power usage (105w) and the thermal specification (62 degrees Celsius). the G0 Q6600 upped the ante on the B3 Q6600, so of course it would be an improvement over the B3 X3220 as well, which = a B3 Q6600.

NOW, the real question is, how would a G0 Q6600 scale up against a G0 X3220. Since you're comparing apples to apples in this case, it's a 95w vs. 100w, and 71 deg. thermal spec vs. 85 deg. (!!). I'd be surprised as hell if the new G0 X3220s don't overclock significantly better than the current G0 Q6600s.

fixed.

erm, yeah. I swear, I got it right yesterday when a made a table for Q6600 and X3220 specs :p

Maverick0984 said:
What exactly is the "ES" in G0 Q6600 ES ?

ES = Engineering Sample. Not freely available, and released for testing before official commercial release of chips to general public. Generally binned high, and OC very well.

jason4207 said:
ES = Engineering Sample. Not freely available, and released for testing before official commercial release of chips to general public. Generally binned high, and OC very well.

Oh, not important then, since we can't really get them. Didn't know if there was some secret line noone talks about, heh.

thanks for clearing up that ES business i've been wondering the samething for sometime now, but havent been able to find the definition anywhere

xeon prices- according to this site:

http://www.metalghost.ro/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=232&Itemid=85

the x3210 is supposed to come down to $224 per 1000 units
the x3220 is supposed to come down to $266 per 1000 units

this is all for Q3 2007. is that now?

i just dont have any idea why someone would go for the consumer branded model verses the industrial model - the xeon.

the e6850 is looking like crap at this point

Shakir_Akbari said:
thanks for clearing up that ES business i've been wondering the samething for sometime now, but havent been able to find the definition anywhere

xeon prices- according to this site:

http://www.metalghost.ro/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=232&Itemid=85

the x3210 is supposed to come down to $224 per 1000 units
the x3220 is supposed to come down to $266 per 1000 units

this is all for Q3 2007. is that now?

i just dont have any idea why someone would go for the consumer branded model verses the industrial model - the xeon.

the e6850 is looking like crap at this point
price effective now!!

shirker said:
NOW, the real question is, how would a G0 Q6600 scale up against a G0 X3220. Since you're comparing apples to apples in this case, it's a 95w vs. 105w, and 71 deg. thermal spec vs. 85 deg. (!!). I'd be surprised as hell if the new G0 X3220s don't overclock significantly better than the current G0 Q6600s.
If I know I could definitely grab an X3220 that was a guaranteed G-0 stepping, I'd be happy as he** to answer that question, even if it meant paying a modest premium for the Xeon over the Q6600! In a heartbeat!

~ Strat ~

Stratcat said:
If I know I could definitely grab an X3220 that was a guaranteed G-0 stepping, I'd be happy as he** to answer that question, even if it meant paying a modest premium for the Xeon over the Q6600! In a heartbeat!

~ Strat ~

I think we're seeing a revival in the socket 939 X2s vs. the socket 939 Opterons. :santa:

OneArmedScissor said:
I think we're seeing a revival in the socket 939 X2s vs. the socket 939 Opterons. :santa:
that's a good thing, right? :p

it's always good to see server processors giving desktop processors a run for their money, even though the former is never marketed to the home consumer. right now, I'd speculate that a G0 X3220 from a good batch will obliterate a G0 Q6600, although that has really yet to be proven since there aren't any G0 X3220 reviews out there yet as far as I know

shirker said:
that's a good thing, right? :p

it's always good to see server processors giving desktop processors a run for their money, even though the former is never marketed to the home consumer. right now, I'd speculate that a G0 X3220 from a good batch will obliterate a G0 Q6600, although that has really yet to be proven since there aren't any G0 X3220 reviews out there yet as far as I know

lol, this is a ridiculous comment.

They are the same chip, binned differently. Neither will "obliterate" each other. People are thinking the X3220 might overclock a "bit" better. But they will be the same chip when it all is said and done. I don't expect large differences at all.

i am hyped as anyone about the new g0 xeons but the voice of reason tells me to listen to what maverick is saying. at the end of the day they will be the same chip. although for me - since i will not be able to cool the chip as much as others (i am going sff with a ga-g33-ds2r, in an antec nsk 1300) the thermal spec is really going to help out. :beer:

shirker said:
comparing a G0 Q6600 to a B3 X3220 is like comparing apples to oranges....the real question is, how would a G0 Q6600 scale up against a G0 X3220

shirker said:
there aren't any G0 X3220 reviews out there yet as far as I know

@shirker: thanks for clearing up why i had posted about the b3 x3220

I swear there has been a flood of Xeons being the "second coming" around here lately. The fact is that there has not been any real evidence that Xeons OC that much more than their desktop counterparts. You will find that it is more dependant on luck of the draw than Xeon vs C2Q. If they did you can bet a lot of OCers would be buying Xeons only and never the desktop version. The only reason this has become a topic of discussion is because recently the price of the X3220 is slightly lower or the same as the Q6600 due to the high demand for Q6600. Give it some time and the prices will return back to what how they were before (Xeon priced higher). Just before the price drop the X3220 was around $100 more than a Q6600. I would take a Q6600 G0 over a X3220 B3 anytime. If they were both the same price and both G0 then sure why not. But good luck finding a G0 Xeon any time soon.

Cliffnotes: Xeons are NOT the OCing golden ships that everyone is making them out to be now. In the end it is still more luck of the draw.

So, I'm still using my E6700 of course while I wait for my Q6600. Even the E6700 is extremely new. I was in college and had the same P4 laptop for 4 years. Just last night, I finally burnt a DL disc while playing GRAW2. That was like the most important thing to never do on my single core. Do anything at all demanding while burning. I'm still adjusting to this multicore phenom. My instincts still stop me from doing things I never could do effectively. hehe, 4 cores will be nice :D.

Maverick0984 said:
So, I'm still using my E6700 of course while I wait for my Q6600. Even the E6700 is extremely new. I was in college and had the same P4 laptop for 4 years. Just last night, I finally burnt a DL disc while playing GRAW2. That was like the most important thing to never do on my single core. Do anything at all demanding while burning. I'm still adjusting to this multicore phenom. My instincts still stop me from doing things I never could do effectively. hehe, 4 cores will be nice :D.
Yeah I don't think I will ever be able to give up that habit of stop doing everything while burning though.

regarding the price - iirc the e6850, q6600, and x3220 all have the same price of $266 per 1000 units. mark up at the distributor will be more for the xeons- at most places, but deals can be found if sought. the x3210 is currently the only quad at 2.13ghz and is available now at $250

i dont think i'll ever break the habit of stop doing proc intensive tasks while burning discs either. but what i do think i'll be doing, is running a tv recording prog while heavy playing games, and d/l torrents this will be every day use and is where i see the quad shining.

i am waiting until end of august to do my build (next time i'm back in the states), so i'm praying that the b3 xeons will have mostly cleared out by then.

GTengineer said:
Yeah I don't think I will ever be able to give up that habit of stop doing everything while burning though.

Ya, especially those expensive DL discs. Every time I Alt+Tabbed to desktop and checked it, the buffer was always 100% though. So I figured I was fine, and the disc played okay.

I suppose when games built to utilize as many cores as possible come out, this won't be as easy.

GTengineer said:
I swear there has been a flood of Xeons being the "second coming" around here lately. The fact is that there has not been any real evidence that Xeons OC that much more than their desktop counterparts. You will find that it is more dependant on luck of the draw than Xeon vs C2Q. If they did you can bet a lot of OCers would be buying Xeons only and never the desktop version. The only reason this has become a topic of discussion is because recently the price of the X3220 is slightly lower or the same as the Q6600 due to the high demand for Q6600. Give it some time and the prices will return back to what how they were before (Xeon priced higher). Just before the price drop the X3220 was around $100 more than a Q6600. I would take a Q6600 G0 over a X3220 B3 anytime. If they were both the same price and both G0 then sure why not. But good luck finding a G0 Xeon any time soon.

Cliffnotes: Xeons are NOT the OCing golden ships that everyone is making them out to be now. In the end it is still more luck of the draw.

Nothing has been proven yet, but I have to admit I'm intrigued by the x3210. It's in the same price range as the e6750 that I was going to get and it's double the cores.

The G0 x32x0 may or may not be the golden ship, but the 85* threshold makes me wonder what it can do. :)

Shakir_Akbari said:
regarding the price - iirc the e6850, q6600, and x3220 all have the same price of $266 per 1000 units. mark up at the distributor will be more for the xeons- at most places, but deals can be found if sought. the x3210 is currently the only quad at 2.13ghz and is available now at $250

i dont think i'll ever break the habit of stop doing proc intensive tasks while burning discs either. but what i do think i'll be doing, is running a tv recording prog while heavy playing games, and d/l torrents this will be every day use and is where i see the quad shining.

i am waiting until end of august to do my build (next time i'm back in the states), so i'm praying that the b3 xeons will have mostly cleared out by then.

Or..
$224.69 @ NCIXUS
$249.00 @ Antares (but out of stock)

Back