• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon price drop on 22nd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

Anyone heard anything if the Xeons are dropping in price on the 22nd too or is it just the C2D?

I believe they will drop too but don't quote me on that. Of course they would still be more expensive than its counterpart C2D. I think the prices which are pretty set in stone are the extremes.

Was looking at the 5120/5130.... read that article better than the first time I read it earlier and the E5335 looks interesting (2Ghz Quad-core 8Mb 1333) for $316 US ... about $350 CDN or so....Article doesn't mention anything about the 51XX series

Only reference to 51xx series that I saw is this...

"Intel’s low-voltage quad-core Xeon DP 5148 will not receive any price cuts in July 2007 and will continue to cost $519, per processor, in 1,000 unit quantities."

Am I reading this right?? The Q6600 and the X3220 will both have the same price ($266)?? If this is the case wouldnt it make more sense to go with the Xeon?

Someone else asked the same question and supposedly, they're both the exact same cpu.... the Xeon *might* a better cpu ("cherry picked").....

TombKeeper said:
Someone else asked the same question and supposedly, they're both the exact same cpu.... the Xeon *might* a better cpu ("cherry picked").....

yes I know but right now the Xeon version is slightly more expensive (they typically are). Unless these are very rough price estimation. I don't understand why anyone would pick a Q6600 over the Xeon if this was the case.

well since xeons are ment for server settings it would make sense to cherry pick for the xeon line. keep tdp low and charge more since they would be ment for long term operation.

Evilsizer said:
well since xeons are ment for server settings it would make sense to cherry pick for the xeon line. keep tdp low and charge more since they would be ment for long term operation.

What's the point? There's still P3/Athlon systems around that have run 24/7..... Aren't cpus supposed to last about 10 years? Who the heck keeps the same cpu for more than 5-7 years?

TombKeeper said:
What's the point? There's still P3/Athlon systems around that have run 24/7..... Aren't cpus supposed to last about 10 years? Who the heck keeps the same cpu for more than 5-7 years?
you would be suprised.... i do tech support and one customer called in. there pc was a duron 1ghz with 128mb of ram with XP and they were tring to use a program that requires a min of 256mb's of ram. GO figure they wanted to program to work perfectly but didnt want to spend the money on more ram.

server envoriments have different requirments then home/desktop pc's. since the xeons have a slightly higher price it makes perfect since they would cherry pick them.

GTengineer said:
Am I reading this right?? The Q6600 and the X3220 will both have the same price ($266)?? If this is the case wouldnt it make more sense to go with the Xeon?

That's how is is now for the single-socket Xeons as well. Remember these prices are bulk prices. Street prices for retail packaging don't always match that but Xeon C2Ds always had a slight price premium.

The Xeon 3xxx are 775 socket... but 'home' desktop doesn't mention anything about being able to use them...the 'server' class Mbs do (even entry level type). It was the same thing with AMD 939 and the Opteron 939 - but people were able to use them no prob.

TombKeeper said:
The Xeon 3xxx are 775 socket... but 'home' desktop doesn't mention anything about being able to use them...the 'server' class Mbs do (even entry level type). It was the same thing with AMD 939 and the Opteron 939 - but people were able to use them no prob.

I'm confused... So I'm not supposed to be able to use them, but I can?

I think what he is trying to say is that you will not find a "desktop" motherboard that says "supports Xeon processors" but yes if they are socket 775 you can drop it in your board.

Yes, but you won't receive any tech support from anyone since it's not actually "made" to run Xeon's.......

I have an opteron cpu in my AMD64 Mb and works great... so it might be the same with using a Xeon in any socket 775 board - remember it's only the Xeon 3xxx series that are socket 775. The rest are 771...wont work for sure... :)

this should stir things up a bit

neweggs price on the Intel Xeon X3220 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Retail = $315 (USD)

at that price there is a chance i'll get that over the binned q6600, and pray that it will work in a ga-g33m-ds2r mobo

any thoughts?

^^^

My thoughts -

Don't expect G-0's; They are still shipping B3's. I just got one this afternoon (WED) from a very late nite Monday order.

X3220 B3 L640F SL9UP - 5/07 pack - VID = 1.2875V

3.4G (9 multi) @ 1.475Vcore and still testing - 62*C Coretemp/47*C SpeedFan - Quad Orthos (four instances - one for each core)

Everything else same as in my sig, except change the processor line.

No idea if I will keep it, seeing as the G-0's seem to be showing good stuff...but this dayem thing is cranking out Distributed Computing, like a mofo! :thup:

~ Strat ~

Back