• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 900 /P5K Pics?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coach3K

Registered
I've got my final purchases ordered for a new system and I was up late last night trying to think of all the little things I'd need to add to my order from the egg to make sure I won't be rushing out to buy some little thing when I start to assemble.

I got to thinking that I'd really love to see an image or two that someone might have of an Asus P5K Deluxe WIFI-AP in an Antec 900 case, ideally with an Ultra 120 Extreme, so I could get an idea for how things will be laid out and where some of the wiring might be in the case.

I googled and hit a bunch of links today, but maybe my googling skills are just crap - I didn't really find a whole lot to help me.

So, given that the 900 is pretty popular, the P5K series is pretty popular, and the U120 Extreme is the king of the hill right now...I figured there's a pretty good chance someone out there has nearly the same configuration I'll end up with, and could post some pics so I can see if I need to make some little purchases over the weekend as I wait for delivery next week.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Independence Day!

Two specific things that I was pondering:

1) Chipset cooling - I plan to OC my 6420 as far as I can stable. I know there's a lot of flow through the 900, and I'm going with a fan controller and a mixture of a few Scythe F's and a SilenX IXP-76-18, but should I consider dedicated cooling somehow for Northbridge/Southbridge? I've seen the "flexi" fans that you can mount and then flex to where you want them pointed. I'm already using active cooling on the memory, and plan to use the optional mid-case fan - though it's hard for me to envision where the airflow will be from that without seeing it.

2) Side-panel fan - I've seen some discussion that the U120X will fit in the 900, but without a lot of clearance on the side panel. I think I remember one post mentioning a fan wouldn't fit without some modding.

Looking at the layout of the case and another thread I saw about airflow (with another Heatsink installed, but planning on a U120X), I thought maybe a fan WOULD fit in there.

Will a side-panel fan fit, and if so, does it need to be ultra-thin?

These are the things I'm pondering as I sit here wishing I could have it all in front of me NOW! :)

Thanks again!

I have a big typhoon in my nine hundred. The way the fan mount is positioned on the side it looks like it would get in the way. I could probably get the fan in there but the upper corner would be slightly over the typhoon which is shorter than the ultra i think. Theres really no reason to install a side fan though. I have the top 200mm fan on medium speed and it's creating suction through the side fan grill. I can tell because theres dust all over it and I can feel it a little. Also, due to the power supply being on the bottom, the front 120mm's are blowing across AND under the motherboard. Plus the rear pci slot covers have big vents. Basically theres air going across everything. Oh yeah don't bother with the top front extra fan bracket thing. It just gets in the way and theres no reason to have 2 fans doing the same thing.

Heres a crappy pic. The front fans can be barely seen glowing blue on the front. They reach from the very bottom of the case up to to the 6th 5.25" bay grill. Yes my wire management is horrendous.

Last edited:
Back