• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to Core 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlabit

Registered
I have been waiting for July 22 to buy a new CPU. Have been running AMD processors for the last ten years and I am ready to give the new Intel chips a try. From what I can see on internet web sites, it looks like I have a choice between the Q6600, the E6750, and the older E6600. Looks like the E6600 and Q6600 run with a multiplier of X9. Reading reviews, it looks like the E6750, which is the one I have really wanted, has a multiplier of 8. My experience in overclocking is minimal. The best I have achieved is about an 18% overclock on air cooling, by increasing FSB only. I guess my question for you experienced overclockers concerns the lower multiplier. It seems to me that I will be better off with a CPU with a higher multiplier like the E6600 and the Q6600, which has a multiplier of 9. One concern is that I bought inexpensive memory:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146118

which is Mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, a value memory. My thinking is that I would be better off with a CPU that has a higher multiplier, because of my limited ability to increase FSB due to my memory. I want to overclock this as high as I can get it with air cooling. My motherboard will be a Gigabyte P35 DSR3 with a Zalman 9500 heatsink. I have learned through the years to listen to you guys who have a lot of experience overclocking as far as hardware purchases are concerned. Of the three CPU's above, which would you recommend and why? I appreciate your advice and assistance. Thanks.

Jim

If you are used to 18% overclocks, then you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Edit: You do know the multis are unlocked on the Conroes?
You can only go down from default but it does add some options.
When yah want to explore a bit.

True dat!

The Q6600 will be very tempting at the new prices after July 22, however because of the intense heat it produces I advise you stay away since you are using air cooling.

The E6600 will take you as far as you like and stay cool enough under that Zalman cooler. You will be quite happy with it!

jimmsch said:
True dat!

The Q6600 will be very tempting at the new prices after July 22, however because of the intense heat it produces I advise you stay away since you are using air cooling.

The E6600 will take you as far as you like and stay cool enough under that Zalman cooler. You will be quite happy with it!
you must have missed this thread then
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=517861

if you buy a q6600 wait bit to get the G0 stepping as the TDP has been reduced from 105 to 95 watts.

Cpu multi times half of your ram speed equals total mhz.
DDR2-800 is 400mhz X 8multi=3200mhz. An E6600 is 9 X 400mhz=3600mhz. Same goes for the Q6600.
I would get the Q6600 and slap on the best existing heatsink. Thermalright IFX-14 if it's out by then or a Thermalright Ultra120-extreme if it's not.

get the e6600. you can overclock very high and still stay cool with good cooling. 9 x 400 ( if you get that ram)

Evilsizer said:
you must have missed this thread then
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=517861

if you buy a q6600 wait bit to get the G0 stepping as the TDP has been reduced from 105 to 95 watts.
They used an ES chip in that example. Generally known to use less voltage and run cooler than the ones available to buy. But it is nice to know they managed to lower the TDPon the GO stepping.

I wonder if they lowered the TDP on the E6600 as well. It was 65 watts. Still much cooler than the 95 watt Q6600. If I was on air cooling I would not buy the Q6600...105 watts or 95watts.

I have an ES Q6600 (granted it is not a GO stepping) cooled with a 4ft bong and the temps are: core0=87C...core 1=83C...core 2=68C...core 3=67C. That is at 340X9 using a mere 1.2500 vcore. Orthos load on all cores.

On the same system I had an E6600 that ran 400X8 at 1.4000 vcore and the temps for both cores stayed at 48 and 51C full Orthos load.

I recommend the dual E6600 for air cooling.

Anyway it is up to the OP that started this thread. Do you want a hot quad or a nice cool dually. They will probably max OC the same, but the dual will be MUCH cooler. The only real advantage to a quad atm is you can do more multi tasking. In the future you will see alot more multi threaded apps and games, but by then we will have Nehalam. <--I don't know if that's spelled right.

I don't think they would bother selling quads if they were that vulnerable to temperature. They'd be rma'ing so many of the things it would be pointless. If these things are being sold with the intention of being run with a stock intel cooler at stock speed then I don't see why you can't oc one with top notch air cooling. I admit I'd be a little uncomfortable at those temps but that's just what they are I guess. If it's really that bad it'll die quick and you can warranty. Just my 2 cents but I could be wrong.

well if you look in the past people ran 95watt cpus on air with such high temps you predict. a quick look in intels cpu finder shows the PD-903 with a 95watt TDP and PD960 with 130watt TDP. Now we are looking at 2 more cores at the same wattage. overall people heavy into multi tasking will want a quad core, esp those that want to fold or ect.

my celeron is x26 multipler, is that good? lol

On Topic... I would get the E6600, my friend recently bought one and its pretty nice to overclock.

If your set on a dual I'd think an E6850 would be the way to go unless I'm missing something.

jlabit said:
Of the three CPU's above, which would you recommend and why?
it depends really. if you can make use of a quad core, then a q6600 is the cpu for you. if not, then i would do the e6750.

the g0 stepping found on the newer cpu's will allow you to oc higher than the older cpus for sure. its all about what your ram can handle.

the e6750 has a good chance of doing 3.8ghz on air. that would mean you would have to run a fsb of 475 with the multi of 8. if your ram can keep up, then great, if not, you will be held back from the full potential of the cpu. in this scenario, your ram would also have to run at 475mhz, or ddr2-950. it is possible to oc your ram that high, but it all depends on your particular sticks.

on the other hand, the q6600 might do 3.4-3.6ghz on air with the newest g0 stepping. that would mean a fsb of between 377 and 400. this is within stock speeds of your value ram, so you would have no worries there.

Back