• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Laptops - installing ram voids warranty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathersalan

I see this hard to believe as it says in the manual. Does it really void the warranty? The compartment for ram is in the same place where the cpu is.. I see no sticker anywhere where you remove the small black cover.. Is this just Asus scaring the users so they wont mess it up installing ram? I've done it before on different laptops like Dell and Toshiba its very easy I say its easyer than installing ram inside of a desktop tower.

This laptop is the Asus A7T Series

And d*mn if its true I give Asus 6 out of 10 because 1gb of ram under Vista Premium just doesnt cut it

if there is no sticker on the laptop and it screws up you can claim no knowledge as it was not in the manual OR on the laptop at all!!!

if they wont replace it then take them to court

Thanks for the reply.. Since my ram is comming Saturday or Monday using overnight shipping ordered it Friday I opened it up using a bit with masking tape over the tip so it will not strip the screws paint off showing that I unscrewed it.. There are no stickers, plastic breaking, nothing nada.. Here is a pic of it open up with just 1 yellow warranty sticker covering the CPU heatsink screw..

imgp0647ip6.jpg

Nothing to be worried about here..except do not make it obvious that you opened the panel like leaving out some of the screws or stripping them out using the wrong phillips head screw driver stuff like that

Shoulda looked here before I posted in your other thread...

...anyway if there is no stickers or anything that you have to destroy to get in there it looks like you're good to go. If anything happened to it you could just take out the RAM you put in and they'd be none the wiser.

I should of took a closer pic of the ram slot.. I think all I have to do is slide the ram into the slot where the prongs match and snap it in with the two brackets on each side

Ram came today and helped Vista run a hell of a lot faster with the aditional 2gb added. It was a bit hard pushing the ram chip in but I got it in...... I also checked all the other compartments such as the HDD, WLAN, video card and there are no warranty stickers or plastic parts that break when you take it off.

Asus laptops are cooooooooool :D

Mathersalan said:
Ram came today and helped Vista run a hell of a lot faster with the aditional 2gb added. It was a bit hard pushing the ram chip in but I got it in...... I also checked all the other compartments such as the HDD, WLAN, video card and there are no warranty stickers or plastic parts that break when you take it off.

Asus laptops are cooooooooool :D

Hi Mathersalan,

Congratulations. You have some very sexy specs there. I just have a couple of questions for you in that regard. I also own an A7T Asus lappy (and damn proud of it) and have been anxious for a memory upgrade for a while now. I read the specs on newegg (I also saw your review there too by the way) and it said that the lappy has a maximum memory capacity of 2 GB. Your specs, however, say that you have 3 GB of RAM (So I'm assuming you bought yourself a 2 GB G.Skill stick and stuck it in with the preexisting 1 GB stick)...

Does your lappy ready the 3 GB at a DDR2 Spec of 667 (5300? or 5400?) or does it downgrade it to something lower? Does it even read the 3 GB or just 2 GB? Also, are there any specifics on the SPD timings that I should know about when buying the memory, or are they adjusted automatically by the BIOS?

Please let me know if indeed a 2 GB stick is possible for this machine. Appreciate your time and help!

************** EDIT ****************

Upon further research (lamentably, the manual didn't have much info, since ASUS really doesn't want people to tinker around with memory), it seems that the 2 GB restriction is the maximum that a SINGLE slot can hold. The SPD chip timings for the memory can be anything on the TRAS but the CAS latency must be 5 (So a G.SKILL advertised on Newegg that has a 5-5-5-15 timing should work. Is this the one that you got Mathersalan? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231124)

So I'm pretty sure that buying any 1 GB or 2 GB stick with a DDR 667 PC2-5300 spec should bring this lappy to beast status. I wonder how a 64 bit linux distro runs?! Gotta try it out (though I've read that you cannot install linux on the native partition that holds the Vista install... which ****es me off about this lappy as it gave Vista a good 86 GB of the hard drive capacity...)!

Anyway, if you can confirm this, I would really appreciate it (anyone?). Thanks.

Last edited:
Unmaker said:
Hi Mathersalan,

Congratulations. You have some very sexy specs there. I just have a couple of questions for you in that regard. I also own an A7T Asus lappy (and damn proud of it) and have been anxious for a memory upgrade for a while now. I read the specs on newegg (I also saw your review there too by the way) and it said that the lappy has a maximum memory capacity of 2 GB. Your specs, however, say that you have 3 GB of RAM (So I'm assuming you bought yourself a 2 GB G.Skill stick and stuck it in with the preexisting 1 GB stick)...

Does your lappy ready the 3 GB at a DDR2 Spec of 667 (5300? or 5400?) or does it downgrade it to something lower? Does it even read the 3 GB or just 2 GB? Also, are there any specifics on the SPD timings that I should know about when buying the memory, or are they adjusted automatically by the BIOS?

Please let me know if indeed a 2 GB stick is possible for this machine. Appreciate your time and help!

************** EDIT ****************

Upon further research (lamentably, the manual didn't have much info, since ASUS really doesn't want people to tinker around with memory), it seems that the 2 GB restriction is the maximum that a SINGLE slot can hold. The SPD chip timings for the memory can be anything on the TRAS but the CAS latency must be 5 (So a G.SKILL advertised on Newegg that has a 5-5-5-15 timing should work. Is this the one that you got Mathersalan? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231124)

So I'm pretty sure that buying any 1 GB or 2 GB stick with a DDR 667 PC2-5300 spec should bring this lappy to beast status. I wonder how a 64 bit linux distro runs?! Gotta try it out (though I've read that you cannot install linux on the native partition that holds the Vista install... which ****es me off about this lappy as it gave Vista a good 86 GB of the hard drive capacity...)!

Anyway, if you can confirm this, I would really appreciate it (anyone?). Thanks.

The laptop came pre-installed with a 1gb stick of PC5300 DDR2 667 ram, which is installed under the keyboard. I bought a 2gb stick of G.Skill PC5300 stick from newegg after the laptop was thrown from the UPS truck to my porch (f*ckers) and looked under SPD on CPU-Z to find out what type of ram it uses and it was pc5300. I went ahead and bought the ram using overnight shippings and installed it all under the laptop where it has the available expansion, it works, recognizes 3gbs of ram all and all Vista runs much perfect than just 1 gb of ram. I would have to upgrade to 64bit Vista or XP if I want to replace the 1gb pre-installed ram under the keyboard with a 2gb stick and that makes it 4gbs.

Deepsky got his Monday..I guess he likes it...I think he said that the hard drive screams under a full load. That must drive him up the wall.

Mathersalan said:
The laptop came pre-installed with a 1gb stick of PC5300 DDR2 667 ram, which is installed under the keyboard. I bought a 2gb stick of G.Skill PC5300 stick from newegg after the laptop was thrown from the UPS truck to my porch (f*ckers) and looked under SPD on CPU-Z to find out what type of ram it uses and it was pc5300. I went ahead and bought the ram using overnight shippings and installed it all under the laptop where it has the available expansion, it works, recognizes 3gbs of ram all and all Vista runs much perfect than just 1 gb of ram. I would have to upgrade to 64bit Vista or XP if I want to replace the 1gb pre-installed ram under the keyboard with a 2gb stick and that makes it 4gbs.

Deepsky got his Monday..I guess he likes it...I think he said that the hard drive screams under a full load. That must drive him up the wall.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the G.SKILL (The GeIL was a bit enticing and so was the Patriot, but the price was right). 3 GBs will be awesome for Vista. Probably will never use 64bit Vista and have been playing around with 64bit Ubuntu and Debian. They have no problems reading my 4 GBs on my PC (though it may be only a laptop issue? Though I think it's just the x86-32 architecture not being able to handle the memory).

Hope to get it soon. Need the upgrade!!!

Thanks!

Mathersalan said:

I love it, and as for the HD (or whatever it is) I've either started to get used to it or its quieted down a bit.

ALL manufacturers will void your warranty unless you are certified to do repairs on their equipment (Im certified on Dell/Hp/Compaq and used to be on Gateway). It doesnt matter if you have 20 years in Helpdesk experience and every possible cert other then Manufacturer issued ones, they will void your warranty if they find out you installed a new drive or other part regardless if it was done correctly or not.

Adragontattoo said:
ALL manufacturers will void your warranty unless you are certified to do repairs on their equipment (Im certified on Dell/Hp/Compaq and used to be on Gateway). It doesnt matter if you have 20 years in Helpdesk experience and every possible cert other then Manufacturer issued ones, they will void your warranty if they find out you installed a new drive or other part regardless if it was done correctly or not.

All manufacturers are jerks. But it's good to know. Money's the name of the game.

Except EVGA..They are cool enough to let you RMA your card even if you take off the stock heatsink and install a new aftermarket one!

Back