• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer 6, I like it so far

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13oots2

After hearing nothing but bad things about IE6 beta, I finally bit the bullet last night. So far I have been very impressed with it, and regret not doing so earlier. I suprise myself here, and give a thumbs up to a MS product:)

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with it too. There are a few things that I dont like on it, but they come from a webmaster stand point. I absolutely hate the fact that even if I put protection methods into my code to protect my custom made, copywrite protected graphics, that IE6 still allows the user to easily steal the picture.

Hehe stealing pictures are so easy :) Just save the whole page and all pictures will be in a folder.

Although IE5-6 seem the same to me.

The cookie blocking feature really impressed me. If I want to give info out, I can now choose easily. Plus I like the new icons in Win2K, little things and all that:)

yeah but you can't stop everybody I would jsut put a little kingslayer.com if it becomes a huge issue.

I had Beta and it was bogus had to re logg in here everytime i came back, is that problem fixed? Also i had major problems it bugged everything out anyone else have any complaints or more positive issue's? I'm glad that now its out on final that there's a few good things to say about it.

13oots2 said:
The cookie blocking feature really impressed me. If I want to give info out, I can now choose easily. Plus I like the new icons in Win2K, little things and all that:)

You people all have the wrong impression about cookies.

Cookies can NOT read any of your info.... PERIOD! It's just a text file that's stored on your harddrive. Cookies are ONLY readable in the domain they were set in. In other words. Cookies set here on the forums store your login and password. This Data is retrieved from the database when you log in. Each page you load looks for a cookie from forums.overclockers.ws and if it's there, it reads the login and password so you don't have to keep logging in. It also stores what pages you read and what posts you read. That's why it must re-set the cookie on each page. This is so it can track read and un-read posts.

Those are "good" cookies. Now for the "Bad" cookies.

Cookies can be used to track your movement through the web but ONLY if the page has an imbedded page from the domain that sets the cookie. www.overclockers.au or even www.overclockers.com can NOT read your cookie set here at forums.overclockers.ws. The browser just won't let that happen.

The way tracking cookies work is this:

Page 1 has a Banner from ads.doubleclick.net on it. It sets a cookie valid in the Domain ads.doubleclick.net. Now ANY page you visit that has a Banner from doubleclick can read that doubleclick cookie and say "Hey this guy was here and here and here". BUT, it cannot read your harddrive and give out any information from it. These are BAD cookies! This is why the Banner Ads here are served up by the same domain as the forums. We don't want people tracking you.

This is the push for cookie privacy. Not because they can STEAL information but Ad companys use them to track what sites you hit. As I said, the sites must run a banner from that domain though.

Now, if I wanted to spy, I'd just embed some nasty Javascript or VB script in the page :D

That's a whole new lesson.

outhouse said:
I had Beta and it was bogus had to re logg in here everytime i came back, is that problem fixed? Also i had major problems it bugged everything out anyone else have any complaints or more positive issue's? I'm glad that now its out on final that there's a few good things to say about it.

Nope, it's an IE6 issue with the broken cookie privacy. Here's how to fix that:

Clear your cookies!!!! This is important!

If using IE6 go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy Click Edit and enter to accept all cookies from forums.overclockers.ws

If you are using the XP Personal Firewall, this can also cause this problem.

Use the login at the bottom right of the Main Page. Click the button, don't hit enter.

IE6

i think it sux, it crashes my XP all the time and in the sys info report it is 9 times out of 10 explorers fault.

May Bill Gates life support one day work as well as his OS!!!!

Back