• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new 8800...choppy video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zangler

hey guys...i just upgraded from a 6800 GT to a 8800GTS. a lot of times when i am playing a game like EVE online or something i will be running a movie on the second monitor (i.e. DIVX)...witht he 6800 this was never a problem....now the movie runs really choppy, where as before it was very nice and smooth. is there a way of fixing this? am i missing some stupid setting?

Sounds odd. have you reinstalled drivers? I know you probably dont need to but it might be a good idea.

||Console|| said:
might be that your psu isnt up to the task

what makes you say that? not saying i have the worlds greatest PSU or anything...but i am getting no other indicators that the PSU is a problem

SeasonalEclipse said:
Sounds odd. have you reinstalled drivers? I know you probably dont need to but it might be a good idea.

i did just install it yesterday...i could try going to the beta drivers or something...but not sure its it since everything else is running so nicely

because those psus are known to get worse over time the caps go , the 8800s need alot of amps how manny does your psu say is on the 12v

Yeah the PSU could very well be it as well. I would try to get my hands onto someone sspare PSU, like a friend or something if you do not have one to find out if that effects anything.

Last edited:
||Console|| said:
because those psus are known to get worse over time the caps go , the 8800s need alot of amps how manny does your psu say is on the 12v

on +12v1 it is 18 and on +12v2 it is 15...here is the spec sheet i pulled that from...any help about this is appreciated...how would i know if im losing amps? and is there a link to the problem you speak of?

http://www.antec.com/specs/Neo480_spe.html

SeasonalEclipse said:
Yeah the PSU could very well be it as well. I would try to get my hands onto someone sspare PSU, like a friend or something if you do not have one to find out if that effects anything.
Fixed...:bday:

zangler said:
on +12v1 it is 18 and on +12v2 it is 15...here is the spec sheet i pulled that from...any help about this is appreciated...how would i know if im losing amps? and is there a link to the problem you speak of?

http://www.antec.com/specs/Neo480_spe.html
The only way to know is open the power supply and look...

so i take it this is a common problem? any PSU recommendations? i dont have a friend with a great PSU atm...

why dont i get any other indication that my PSU is not enough for the card? gaming wise and so forth?

Last edited:
zangler said:
so i take it this is a common problem? any PSU recommendations? i dont have a friend with a great PSU atm...

why dont i get any other indication that my PSU is not enough for the card? gaming wise and so forth?

Its a problem if your Power supply is over utilized. The 8800GTS requires 26A on +12v line. But that would be for an entire SYSTEM.

Just make sure you have at least 2 +12v lines, and dedicate one entirely to the GFX card. You should be ok with the power supply you have as long as you dedicate a line just to the GFX card. Else get a new power supply from ANTEC, they have some really nice ones with three +12v lines! And if you do get a new one , get a 550w or higher, its worth the few extra bucks.

My next PSU will probably be this : http://www.antec.com/us/pro_p_TPTrio.php

The 650w one ! :beer: It also comes in a 550w version for about $100 bucks...

No ofence but dont listen to the guy above . Get a nice strong unit not a anatec. the corsair 620 or 520 would do nice

It could very well NOT be his powersupply. Hate to send the boy on a wild goose chase.

I've got +12v1 17.5A, +12v2 17.5 AMP=35A... just two more than him. And I have two DVD drives, a water cooling unit, two hard drives, an impressive collection of fans, an IDE-->SATA adapter, EVGA 8800GTS 640, and a C2D overclocked. All that on a Fortron Bluestorm 500.

I know it's more powerful (and better) than his power supply... but he has a lot less stuff in his system than I do. (And a faaaar less powerful CPU.)

I'm leaning more towards drivers than the PSU. If it was the PSU it would crap out on him while he was playing games and there would be other problems.

It could also be that the 8800GTS is using far more power while playing EVE online than his 6800 was (more shaders at work... etc...)

And... like console said... stay away from Antec powersupplies. I don't trust any powersupply that can be bought from Compusa.

I didnt say it was his cpu I said it could be . Try the drivers if that doenst work post back

||Console|| said:
I didnt say it was his cpu I said it could be . Try the drivers if that doenst work post back

I didn't say you said it was his cpu. ;)

||Console|| said:
No ofence but dont listen to the guy above . Get a nice strong unit not a anatec. the corsair 620 or 520 would do nice

I've never had any issues with Anatec , have you? :confused:

I'd say drivers as well. Try the easy stuff first before you just go throwing money at it. Even though Nvidia drivers sould work no matter what Nvidia card you put in it (even just upgrading), its best to totally remove the previous drivers, install new card, then install drivers, even if the drivers are the same exact version.

Since you already have the card in, get the latest Forceware drivers (betas souldnt be necessary), un-install the current drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all remnants of the driver, reboot into normal Windows, and install the drivers.

Mpegger said:
I'd say drivers as well. Try the easy stuff first before you just go throwing money at it. Even though Nvidia drivers sould work no matter what Nvidia card you put in it (even just upgrading), its best to totally remove the previous drivers, install new card, then install drivers, even if the drivers are the same exact version.

Since you already have the card in, get the latest Forceware drivers (betas souldnt be necessary), un-install the current drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all remnants of the driver, reboot into normal Windows, and install the drivers.

i will see what i can do about it before buying a new PSU. like i said, i have never had any problems with anything else, and run other much more demanding games (i.e. oblivion) for hours with everything on full with no hiccups or crashes or anything. thanks for the input guys.

i have also never had problems with antec stuff before, and i know this PSU is a few years old, but was very highly reviewed when it came out...im not married to antec or anything, just dont think they are garbage...least not their stuff a few years ago.

how would one dedicate a 12v line? i have 2 and have the pci-e connector going. not sure what else i can do.

What Forceware Drivers are you using? 158? 160b? 162b? I would try different drivers before I would look at the PSU. Process of Elimination.

Back