• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a better PSU for a 2900?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metloaf

I have been getting the "itch" after reading your posts about the 2900 series and now I have decided to get one. My only concern is that did you guys have to upgrade your PSU's to compensate for the power draw of the 2900? I am currently running my rig with a OCZ Powerstream SLI 520W which has been extremely stable for my OCing and my 1900XT. I'm pretty sure that a 2900 will draw considerably more power but I want to know how much exactly.

Well it can power a 2900XT. I've run mine on there for a few days. Total system consumption for your rig should still be under 400W in total so you shouldn't have an issue to run it with it. Just note that the Overdrive will not work with the 2x 6-Pin connectors. I don't even use the Overdrive and I upgraded to one that has a 8-Pin connector.

Only reason why I upgraded was for a quieter PSU and modular as well otherwise I probably would of stuck with my 520W OCZ.

Thanks, I was hoping that I was able to keep my 520 due to being pretty much the most stable PSU that I have owned so far. I only have 1 HD, and 2 optical disc drives and a few fans and my water pump to power. As far as an 8 pin connection for the 2900? Will I need an adapter for that or how will that work?

No adaptor. Just use the 2-6Pin connectors and away you go.

As for the PSU again it powered what is in my sig. 2 Optical drives and 5 120mm fans as well.

Right, you can still run the 2900XT with two 6-pin cables. But, if you want to use the ATI Overdrive, you need one 8-pin and one 6-pin. You can get an adapter, but Overdrive is pretty worthless anyway, just O/C using ATItool. The OCZ Powerstream 520w shouild handle it ok, that's a stout PSU. I'm thinking that I probably don't need to upgrade my PSU either since I have a PC & Cooling 750w.

I am not a big fan of Overdrive and used ATI tool for my 1900XT without many issues so I think I'm just gonna stick with that.

Back